Open Carry at Home

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CurbedSedition

Open Carry at Home

Post by CurbedSedition »

Ok, I tried my best to skim through topics - hope this isn't a repeat.

I rent an apartment in the Columbus area. I'm considering carrying on me at all times even at home (all LEAGAL times). I would like to hear feedback on this.

1) If someone knocks on my door (solicitor and or mail carrier or any other random person) and sees my firearm on my hip, but i'm not threatening to use it, am not touching it, and have not even made it a point to show that it's there....is there anything illegal about that?
2) If not illegal - just frowned upon....why?
3) If they make a fuss about it and call the cops - would I have anything to worry about, especially if I didn't touch it, didn't mention it, didn't do anything...they just brought up the firearm on their own and freaked out? (Granted - I get that it's their word against mine when the cops show up)

Sound off! 8)
The mind is like a parachute — it only works when it's open.
US Army • 56M • 2003-2012
OIF 2009-2010
VFW Member
Curzyk

Re: Open Carry at Home

Post by Curzyk »

I'm usually armed when answering the door for an unexpected guest, though I keep it concealed. Otherwise, it is either on me, or within arm's reach if carrying isn't practical or comfortable (i.e. cuddling on the couch).

I prefer concealed because it doesn't advertise to strangers that there are guns in the house. You might deter someone's initial home invasion if they see you're armed, but your house might make it on their list to be watched for when they know you aren't home.
CurbedSedition

Post by CurbedSedition »

Curzyk wrote:I'm usually armed when answering the door for an unexpected guest, though I keep it concealed. Otherwise, it is either on me, or within arm's reach if carrying isn't practical or comfortable (i.e. cuddling on the couch).

I prefer concealed because it doesn't advertise to strangers that there are guns in the house. You might deter someone's initial home invasion if they see you're armed, but your house might make it on their list to be watched for when they know you aren't home.

Good points. I agree with the reason of carrying at home - I don't want it in a safe that might be between me and the bad guy (or gal :lol: ). I'd rather have it on me or like you said within arms reach. My only real reason for considering having it visible would be more of a "don't try anything" type of message (and hopefully get a "nevermind!!" out of solicitors lol!!).
OIF 2009-2010
VFW Member
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

1) No.

2) I wouldn't say frowned upon, it is your home, you castle, no worries. I do it all the time.

3) I would hope the cops would laugh at them for making a MWAG call to a person in their own home, but you never know. As long as you aren't threatening them with it, nothing to worry about. And yes, your word against theirs of course. I've never had it happen though, I don't think there are that many people likely to come to your door that would be freaked out enough to call and then lie about you threatening them.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

1) No.
2) Because too many people are not brought up around them.
3) Shouldn't. The he said / she said can be removed from the equation by keeping a recording device handy and using it.
CurbedSedition wrote:1) If someone knocks on my door (solicitor and or mail carrier or any other random person) and sees my firearm on my hip, but i'm not threatening to use it, am not touching it, and have not even made it a point to show that it's there....is there anything illegal about that?
3) If they make a fuss about it and call the cops - would I have anything to worry about, especially if I didn't touch it, didn't mention it, didn't do anything...they just brought up the firearm on their own and freaked out? (Granted - I get that it's their word against mine when the cops show up)
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
CurbedSedition

Post by CurbedSedition »

WY_Not wrote:1) No.
2) Because too many people are not brought up around them.
3) Shouldn't. The he said / she said can be removed from the equation by keeping a recording device handy and using it.
CurbedSedition wrote:1) If someone knocks on my door (solicitor and or mail carrier or any other random person) and sees my firearm on my hip, but i'm not threatening to use it, am not touching it, and have not even made it a point to show that it's there....is there anything illegal about that?
Good point! I like the recording device mention.
OIF 2009-2010
VFW Member
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

CurbedSedition wrote:and hopefully get a "nevermind!!" out of solicitors lol!!
I have a "No Solicitors" sign on my door. Any solicitor that ignores it is met with me saying "No solicitors" and pointing toward the sign. It has only happened a couple of times in the past few years, and they were apologetic and moved on with no hassle. Nowadays, the only solicitors I encounter are the ones that approach me while I'm washing my car.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Everyone is just trying to make $$$$$.....if you don't want solicitors knocking on your door, post a sign...not what I would call friendly , but hey , if it works fine..

Open carry in the home, IMO only , is over doing it...Unless you have reason to believe something isn't right or your in a bad neighborhood....keep it real close by....or conceal it.... Keep Good locks on the door...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

CurbedSedition wrote:
Curzyk wrote:I'm usually armed when answering the door for an unexpected guest, though I keep it concealed. Otherwise, it is either on me, or within arm's reach if carrying isn't practical or comfortable (i.e. cuddling on the couch).

Good points. I agree with the reason of carrying at home - I don't want it in a safe that might be between me and the bad guy (or gal :lol: ). I'd rather have it on me or like you said within arms reach. My only real reason for considering having it visible would be more of a "don't try anything" type of message (and hopefully get a "nevermind!!" out of solicitors lol!!).
I don't OC for the purpose of intimidation. When I do it's usually a case of laziness on my part. If random visitors on my doorstep don't like it, good, don't come back!

Another good reason to carry at home is that you have positive control of an unsecured firearm in your home, in the case of the presence of children, ex felons, drug addicts, alzheimers patients, angry spouse, whatever, in your home. Everyone's situation is different.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Everyone is just trying to make $$$$$.....if you don't want solicitors knocking on your door, post a sign...not what I would call friendly , but hey , if it works fine..
My doormat should be another clue: The words printed on it are "Come back with a warrant!" :mrgreen:

The neighborhood my condo building is in has signs indicating that solicitation without securing the proper licensing is unlawful, for the entire area.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Everyone is just trying to make $$$$$.....if you don't want solicitors knocking on your door, post a sign...not what I would call friendly , but hey , if it works fine..

Open carry in the home, IMO only , is over doing it...Unless you have reason to believe something isn't right or your in a bad neighborhood....keep it real close by....or conceal it.... Keep Good locks on the door...

You don't carry at home, Carmen?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Well yes I do Chuck....I carry my Prosciutto sammich from the kitchen to my recliner...once I'm in that recliner there will be no disturbances..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

CurbedSedition wrote:... My only real reason for considering having it visible would be more of a "don't try anything" type of message...
If that's the only reason, you shouldn't be a gun owner.

No offense.

Your gun is an inanimate object and makes no statement on it's own.

Any "message" comes from you.

Just wearing a gun doesn't make you invincible, and wearing a gun openly CAN make you a target.

Having said all that, I've been an open carrier since the late 80's. I open carry because I'm too fat to conceal and still access my handgun quickly (at least, to my satisfaction).

The "message" that my open carry conveys is quite simple...it says "I'm open carrying." :wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
Squidbilly

Post by Squidbilly »

I open carry because I'm too fat to conceal and still access my handgun quickly (at least, to my satisfaction).

I can relate to this,
No parkin' by the sewer sign,
Hot dog, my razor's broke,
Water drippin' up the spout,
But I don't care,
Cloudwraith
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cloudwraith »

I carry at home simply because I'm used to carrying all day everywhere I go. I'm lucky enough to be able to carry at work and usually only visit carry friendly establishments. When I get home, I just leave it in place until I go to bed. Then it goes on my nightstand. As mentioned above, a side benefit is that it is always under my control and I don't have to worry about my children (although they are trained well) or their friends (who may not be so trained) getting their hands on it. The downside (upside?) to this, is that I usually am not walking around in the house (or yard) in shorts or beltless attire.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum