OSU Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BB62

OSU Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

Post by BB62 »

The full title is "No More Sitting Ducks! (OSU Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk)".

Here is the description from Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1247404035357994/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This event is a direct response to today's vehicular & blade attack at The Ohio State University in Columbus, where details are still developing. (this post will be updated as more information becomes available)

At the moment it appears that the brave officer who shot the terrorist just happened to be in the right place at the right time - but on an everyday basis other students aren't so fortunate when subject to varying degrees of threat from criminals.

Sure, there's currently a bill in the legislature to give colleges & universities the *option* to allow concealed carry, but so what? When given the option in other states, guess what 99.9% of institutions have decided? No - I don't believe that a student's life is more valuable at XYZ University, nor do I believe that licensed ABC University students are inherently more dangerous ON campus than they OR their licensed counterparts are OFF campus.

As the organizer of six open carry/firearm education Walks on Ohio public university campii (?), I'm sick and tired of the subject of concealed carry on campus not getting the attention it deserves from Ohio's legislators and gun rights groups. There haven't even been hearings on non-optional campus concealed carry!

This needs to end.

This Walk will take place on and around OSU's Columbus campus.

Again - **date & time subject to change**.

OPEN sidearm and/or longarm carry OR no carry are acceptable.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: OSU Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I'm too tired to walk.

If I can find a duck suit and wear it, can I just sit?

:P
MyWifeSaidYes
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Can we wear a Michigan shirt?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
BB62

Post by BB62 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I'm too tired to walk.

If I can find a duck suit and wear it, can I just sit?

:P
Absolutely! You will be the Walk mascot!

:D
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

BB62

Post by BB62 »

Javelin Man wrote:Can we wear a Michigan shirt?
If you like, but I'm told that the SWAT guys are trained to sight in on the big "M".

:wink:
Last edited by BB62 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Got Freedom?

BB62

Post by BB62 »

I said "**date & time subject to change**" but didn't post the date and time!

DUH!

Monday, December 5, 2016, currently 11:59 AM to 4 PM.

I will probably move the start time to earlier, so for those interested, please keep an eye on the Facebook page.

Got Freedom?

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

It's a lot to put on a sign, but...
Students, teachers
and staff that are:
-21 and older
-background-checked
-trained
-licensed

Are NOT allowed to carry a
concealed handgun at OSU...

... but there are plenty of other states
and universities that DO allow it.
Of course, you should probably have a list of those states and universities ready.
MyWifeSaidYes
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:It's a lot to put on a sign, but...
Students, teachers
and staff that are:
-21 and older
-background-checked
-trained
-licensed

Are NOT allowed to carry a
concealed handgun at OSU...

... but there are plenty of other states
and universities that DO allow it.
Of course, you should probably have a list of those states and universities ready.
Add: "With ZERO problems"
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I'm sure Jeff is aware of this, but for others here's a relatively new synopsis of the current state of campus carry nation wide.
GUNS ON CAMPUS: OVERVIEW 5/31/2016

There are links at the bottom of that page that lead to other resources on the subject.

On a personal note: Luckily my youngest daughter is no longer an OSU student but her fiancee still is, which worries me.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

AlanM wrote:I'm sure Jeff is aware of this, but for others here's a relatively new synopsis of the current state of campus carry nation wide.
GUNS ON CAMPUS: OVERVIEW 5/31/2016

There are links at the bottom of that page that lead to other resources on the subject.

On a personal note: Luckily my youngest daughter is no longer an OSU student but her fiancee still is, which worries me.
1) Thanks for the link - I'll make that part of the FB event page,

2) Make sure you tell your daughter's fiancee about the Walk! :mrgreen:

Got Freedom?

gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

Students should be able to defend themselves with dignity!
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

Just saw this. Probably should have posted here instead of new thread.

WHIO report

Monday’s attack provided the backdrop for an Ohio Senate committee hearing Tuesday on HB 48, a proposal from Rep. Ron Maag, R- Lebanon. The bill would allow people with a permit to carry a concealed weapon to bring their guns onto campus as long as the school doesn’t prohibit it. Under current law it is illegal for permit holders to have weapons on campus.

http://www.whio.com/news/crime--law/ohi ... 5qcp2j8yO/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

gfrlaser wrote:Students should be able to defend themselves with dignity!
And guns.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
BB62

>> Ohio State Representative Ron Maag invited to the Walk <<

Post by BB62 »

>> Ohio State Representative Ron Maag invited to the Walk <<

Yesterday I spoke with the assistant for Rep. Maag, who for years has been very supportive of expanding gun rights & privileges in Ohio. He is the House sponsor of HB 48.

I sent a package of information to his assistant, which I understand he will review, and see if his schedule will allow him to attend.

Got Freedom?

dynamike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dynamike »

From the event page (https://www.facebook.com/events/1247404 ... 278453203/):
>> Question for OSU STUDENTS <<
I've been told that the campus community is still healing from Monday's incident.
Please inform everyone what your opinion is of the accuracy of such a statement.
Yet, you deleted BOTH of SCC's OSU leaders' comments to the topic telling you that the community was indeed still healing and not ready for such a demonstration and asking you to delay the walk until next semester so they could work with you to present a more unified, stronger message. You also blocked them from further comments. Why would you ask for input only to delete dissenting input and block those that offered it?

We've all three reached out to you in an effort to work together. I called. Actual active main campus students (ones that provided testimony on Wednesday) tried to engage you on the event page.

Crickets is all we get.

WHY?
Mike

I am an engineering statistician, US Submarine Veteran, avid motorcyclist, and staunch supporter of Liberty.

Ohio Director Students for Concealed Carry