psychological observation about OC in a crowded restaurant

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: psychological observation about OC in a crowded restaura

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:
Caleb4387 wrote:I've open carried over a year now with few positive comments and no negatives no screaming in fear and no cops called on me. its the only way to completely exercise the constitutionalright
Welcome to the forum. I think peoples reactions to open carry might depend on where you are at. I'm sure that if I'd been in some other parts of the state no one would've batted an eye. No one said anything negative to the guy, and the staff didn't seem to care. Neither did most of the other patrons. It was just that there were some who were obvious in their physical reactions. I think if more good people would carry, either open or concealed, there would be less violent crime.
People are also getting a bit more used to it. I recall having the cops called on me right after HB12 passed because my gun was visible in my shoulder holster while I was in the car doing the Buckeye Tuck with my suit jacket.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
tech141

Post by tech141 »

Good Day! I recently moved to the Columbus, OH area and have become an Ohio resident as of Thursday, 26 Oct. I possessed an Ill-Noise CCW license for the last few years (and was active in getting the law passed in that state), but as of 26 Oct, it became 'null and void'. Since then I have educated myself on the open carry laws of Ohio (messed up as they are.... ) and have open carried ever since. Last night I was shopping at the Canal Winchester Wally world and had my EDC openly carried on my hip. No one batted an eye, and no one ran screaming for the exits. I was in the store for approx. 1.5 hours and I can say with confidence that my firearm was noticeable. Once again, no problem what-so-ever. As I was meandering through the store, I had interactions with a good amount of the staff and quite a few other customers. I KNOW they noticed my firearm a few times - no problems at all. The young lady at the check-out did give it a second or two of eyeball time, but our polite conversation/banter never changed tone.

I am of the mind that the more we have our firearms in the open, the quicker the general populace will became accustomed to seeing them, and won't tend to automatically demonize their appearance. It's an educational thing - "Look, there's a person with a gun on their hip, no big deal", as opposed to "OH MY GOD HE'S GOT A GUN - RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!".

There is also a large element of the carrier's attitude and personability while carrying that affects the impression of OC'ers. If you walk around with the attitude of "Yep, here's my gun, I DARE you to question me!", then that attitude DOES show and will be seen as antagonistic by those you encounter. I am always one of the nicest/friendliest guy you will ever meet (whether armed or not). I engage folks in pleasant/humorous conversation wherever my day takes me. I help little old ladies cross the street and will give you the shirt off my back if needed. I say "Ma'am" and "Sir", "Please" and "Thank You", and I mean it. THAT is the impression of OC'ers that we need to present. We are just people, like everyone else.

I could go on and on, but I will have mercy on your souls for now. :D

By the way - My name is Mike. Nice to meet all of you!

Have an Outstanding Day!
Heavy Metal Cowboy

Life is too short to get old so quick.

The Problem is not the problem. The Problem is your attitude about the problem.
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

I am also in Oho (Dayton area).
I open carry everywhere I go (in summer time) and very seldom get a look from anyone. Most are too busy with the cell phone perhaps. However, when I do get a comment, it's 99.99% positive over the last 7 years. Even police give me thumbs up or want to know what I am carrying. Great place to open carry :D
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

tech141 wrote:Good Day! I recently moved to the Columbus, OH area and have become an Ohio resident as of Thursday, 26 Oct. I possessed an Ill-Noise CCW license for the last few years (and was active in getting the law passed in that state), but as of 26 Oct, it became 'null and void'. Since then I have educated myself on the open carry laws of Ohio (messed up as they are.... ) and have open carried ever since. Last night I was shopping at the Canal Winchester Wally world and had my EDC openly carried on my hip. No one batted an eye, and no one ran screaming for the exits. I was in the store for approx. 1.5 hours and I can say with confidence that my firearm was noticeable. Once again, no problem what-so-ever. As I was meandering through the store, I had interactions with a good amount of the staff and quite a few other customers. I KNOW they noticed my firearm a few times - no problems at all. The young lady at the check-out did give it a second or two of eyeball time, but our polite conversation/banter never changed tone.

I am of the mind that the more we have our firearms in the open, the quicker the general populace will became accustomed to seeing them, and won't tend to automatically demonize their appearance. It's an educational thing - "Look, there's a person with a gun on their hip, no big deal", as opposed to "OH MY GOD HE'S GOT A GUN - RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!".

There is also a large element of the carrier's attitude and personability while carrying that affects the impression of OC'ers. If you walk around with the attitude of "Yep, here's my gun, I DARE you to question me!", then that attitude DOES show and will be seen as antagonistic by those you encounter. I am always one of the nicest/friendliest guy you will ever meet (whether armed or not). I engage folks in pleasant/humorous conversation wherever my day takes me. I help little old ladies cross the street and will give you the shirt off my back if needed. I say "Ma'am" and "Sir", "Please" and "Thank You", and I mean it. THAT is the impression of OC'ers that we need to present. We are just people, like everyone else.

I could go on and on, but I will have mercy on your souls for now. :D

By the way - My name is Mike. Nice to meet all of you!

Have an Outstanding Day!
First of all , I see your new to out forums....and our organization....... and hope you enjoy and find the discussions here useful.

There are quite a few who OC on this board and we're spread out all over the place with a bunch of us in your neck of the woods.

As for your encounter, most here, I think, would say it's about the same for them too, as Ohio's pretty OC friendly !

As for the attitude or personality of those who carry it doesn't matter whether one OC's or CC's, when one acts like a doofuss in public while carrying , it can paint us ALL in a bad light to those who question our reasons for carrying.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

I CCW 95% of the time however when I OC I've only had one insistence when anyone seemed to notice. My son and I were fishing at an Ohio State park and I was open carrying a revolver. Someone must have dropped a dime on us because after about 20 min two Ranger trucks pulled up about 30 yards away and watched us for 10 min or so. They must have decided we were no threat or they got bored because they drove off without approaching us. I think most people do not notice OC unless you are behaving oddly or being very flashy.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

tech141 wrote:I am of the mind that the more we have our firearms in the open, the quicker the general populace will became accustomed to seeing them, and won't tend to automatically demonize their appearance. It's an educational thing - "Look, there's a person with a gun on their hip, no big deal", as opposed to "OH MY GOD HE'S GOT A GUN - RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!".
See my motto at the bottom of my signature line. The importance of desensitization if grossly underestimated.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

In the OP when I wrote , "the response of some in the crowd", I should've said, "the response of a few in the crowd." The restaurant was packed, with some new customers waiting to find an empty table. Most of the people seemed not to notice, but that seemed to make the few that did stand out easier. Of those people that did notice, I don't know whether they were local or out of town travelers like us. The restaurant was just off of I-75, for all I know they could've been Canadians. I didn't notice any particular accent from the woman talking to my wife about it.
Daniel964

Post by Daniel964 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Werz wrote:And you can always respond politely to the negative comments with, "I'm sorry you feel that way."
Dang it. That's what I've been doing wrong.

It's "I'm sorry you feel that way", not "I'm sorry you're an idiot."

My bad.

I kind of like "well bless your heart "
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

O live in Lebanon, and was once visiting the local Wally World and OC one of my Glocks. As I neared the check out, a friendly but no-too-brite man came up to me to tell me my gun was showing...who knew? :roll:
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark