Carry with no round chambered.

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Re: Carry with no round chambered.

Postby Jim-in-Toledo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:12 am

Title of thread is Carry with no round chambered.

I think that both of them were trying to point out that there is a difference between "carrying" and "transporting" a firearm in a vehicle. :idea:

Having read this all the way through I'm not certain if you are carrying an unloaded gun in your car? I'd hate for you to get caught doing that before your license goes through.

It's my understanding that the gun must be unloaded.

You had stated you "unloaded" your handgun, but not that you had complied with the next:
Unloaded (per Ohio's convoluted definition) and:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

Therefore they were trying to clarify that:
But (and Werz corrected me on this once in the past) it cannot be on your person, so (3) would not include having the unloaded handgun in a holster on your person even if it is in plain view.

Someguy put emphasis on the gun being unloaded, implying that I would not want to get caught carrying an unloaded gun while getting caught carrying a loaded gun would be fine. It's my understanding that Ohio law requires that I keep my gun unloaded, so I'm unclear on what someguy is trying to say.

You, however, are putting emphasis on the gun being carried. This is not what was being discussed. You are introducing a new angle. You are saying that I should keep my gun in a container and unloaded, while someguy is saying I should keep my gun loaded.

You and someguy are not talking about the same thing and so your comments are causing confusion.

My complaint: While I was a resident of SD on paper, I could carry however I wanted in Ohio. However, now that I have changed nothing other than the paperwork, all of a sudden various forms of carry which were previously perfectly safe, are now egregious dangers to the public.

This does not make any sense at all. I am still the same person. I still reside at the same address. I still carry the same gun. I still drive the same car. Non of this is consistent.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
User avatar
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:14 am
Location: If you can't figure it out, I'm not telling.

Re: Carry with no round chambered.

Postby JustaShooter » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:14 am

Kenosis wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
Kenosis wrote:someguy wrote "Having read this all the way through I'm not certain if you are carrying an unloaded gun in your car? I'd hate for you to get caught doing that before your license goes through."
It's my understanding that the gun must be unloaded.

Unloaded (per Ohio's convoluted definition) and:
(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;


But (and Werz corrected me on this once in the past) it cannot be on your person, so (3) would not include having the unloaded handgun in a holster on your person even if it is in plain view.

Someguy put emphasis on the gun being unloaded, implying that I would not want to get caught carrying an unloaded gun while getting caught carrying a loaded gun would be fine. It's my understanding that Ohio law requires that I keep my gun unloaded, so I'm unclear on what someguy is trying to say.


I took his post to mean that *carrying* an unloaded gun in a motor vehicle without a license was illegal.

Kenosis wrote:You, however, are putting emphasis on the gun being carried. This is not what was being discussed. You are introducing a new angle. You are saying that I should keep my gun in a container and unloaded, while someguy is saying I should keep my gun loaded.

You and someguy are not talking about the same thing and so your comments are causing confusion.


I apologize for any confusion, but I believe it is just a misunderstanding on your part due to perhaps a lack of clarity on my and someguy's part.

Kenosis wrote:My complaint: While I was a resident of SD on paper, I could carry however I wanted in Ohio. However, now that I have changed nothing other than the paperwork, all of a sudden various forms of carry which were previously perfectly safe, are now egregious dangers to the public.

This does not make any sense at all. I am still the same person. I still reside at the same address. I still carry the same gun. I still drive the same car. Non of this is consistent.


It is, however, consistent with Ohio law. You had 6 months from the time you became an Ohio resident to either get your Ohio license or a license from a state with which Ohio has a reciprocity agreement. Understanding your personal situation was perhaps unique, 6 months should be plenty of time to meet that requirement. In your case, it has introduced an inconvenience, but to be honest I find Ohio's requirements in this regard quite reasonable, and more generous than many states. And in any case, that inconvenience should only last a matter of days.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
User avatar
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 4419
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: Akron/Canton Area

Re: Carry with no round chambered.

Postby Kenosis » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:52 pm

JustaShooter wrote:It is, however, consistent with Ohio law. You had 6 months from the time you became an Ohio resident to either get your Ohio license or a license from a state with which Ohio has a reciprocity agreement. Understanding your personal situation was perhaps unique, 6 months should be plenty of time to meet that requirement. In your case, it has introduced an inconvenience, but to be honest I find Ohio's requirements in this regard quite reasonable, and more generous than many states. And in any case, that inconvenience should only last a matter of days.

I haven't been an Ohio resident for 6 months yet. Its been nearly 2 months. Are you saying I am still able to carry a loaded firearm on my person with my SD and Utah permits since I have only been an Ohio resident for a few weeks?
Kenosis
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:04 pm
Location: Williams County, Ohio

Re: Carry with no round chambered.

Postby JustaShooter » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:01 am

Kenosis wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:It is, however, consistent with Ohio law. You had 6 months from the time you became an Ohio resident to either get your Ohio license or a license from a state with which Ohio has a reciprocity agreement. Understanding your personal situation was perhaps unique, 6 months should be plenty of time to meet that requirement. In your case, it has introduced an inconvenience, but to be honest I find Ohio's requirements in this regard quite reasonable, and more generous than many states. And in any case, that inconvenience should only last a matter of days.

I haven't been an Ohio resident for 6 months yet. Its been nearly 2 months. Are you saying I am still able to carry a loaded firearm on my person with my SD and Utah permits since I have only been an Ohio resident for a few weeks?

Yes, that's what I'm saying - I must have missed that you hadn't been a resident for 6 months yet. ORC 109.69 (B) (2) allows a 6-month period after establishing residence in Ohio where a new Ohio resident can carry on a license from a state with which Ohio does not have a reciprocity agreement.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/109.69

(2) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is a resident of this state has a valid concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state that has not entered into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section, the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code for a period of six months after the person became a resident of this state. After that six-month period, if the person wishes to obtain a concealed handgun license, the person shall apply for a concealed handgun license pursuant to section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
User avatar
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 4419
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: Akron/Canton Area

Re: Carry with no round chambered.

Postby Bersa45 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:45 pm

Does your spare tire have air in it? Why carry a spare with no air?
OFCC member

3 seconds

Restraint when needed and action when required.

"Retreat? Hell, we're attacking in a different direction!" Major General O.P. Smith, November 1950.

Before a government can become a full-blown tyranny, the government must first disarm its citizens. The Founders of this nation, from their own experience, knew that when government goes bad, liberty evaporates and people die ... unless the people are armed. JPFO
User avatar
Bersa45
 
Posts: 1753
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:28 am
Location: Ashtabula county

Re: Carry with no round chambered.

Postby TSiWRX » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:07 pm

Bersa45 wrote:Does your spare tire have air in it? Why carry a spare with no air?


The more realistic question would be how many folks here actually check their spare tire - or that can of sealant/inflator - regularly. :wink:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
User avatar
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 6567
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:33 pm
Location: Cleveland/Shaker Heights

Re: Carry with no round chambered.

Postby Sevens » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:14 pm

Which takes more effort? Checking the pressure of your spare tire or digging up a 16-month old thread to add a snarky one liner?
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
User avatar
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 7363
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 8:30 am
Location: Far East Side of CBus

Re: Carry with no round chambered.

Postby TSiWRX » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:02 am

Sevens wrote:Which takes more effort? Checking the pressure of your spare tire or digging up a 16-month old thread to add a snarky one liner?


LOL, probably both! :lol:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
User avatar
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 6567
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:33 pm
Location: Cleveland/Shaker Heights

Previous

Return to Ohio Open Carry Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest