Carry with no round chambered.

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Carry with no round chambered.

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:Come on gang, all this back and forth about comparing the military to...whatever. It was fun for a minute, but really! You can be attacked while you're in your home. You can be attacked while away from home. You can be ambushed as you're leaving your home, or entering it. All these things can and do occur.

A little more about that last situation I mentioned. You arrive home late one evening and see someone you don't know inside skulking around. Okay, so normally you'd call the police and wait outside, but your wife and kids are in there too. So, you have to go in. Now's not the time to be trying to quietly chamber a round. Pulling the slide back slow and/or controlling its forward movement is a terrific way to make a semi-auto choke.
Or, when you're sitting in your family room and the front door is kicked in. I'm sitting in my basement right now with the Beretta chambered and on my hip.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Definitely.

There are so many tales of gun-owners who have had to either fight to their home-defense weapons or have suffered needless injury because of such a struggle.

It's really worth it for every armed defender to consider seriously just how quickly such an episode can play out, and whether if their home-defense plan actually jibes with reality.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

You, me.. no one gets to decide when evil stops by - or if it knocks or kicks into the door as has been pointed out.. @noon or midnight.. Is it likely? Maybe not.. maybe.
Do I 'feel' safe with two keen eared poopies anywhere in the house? :D
Hmmm. 'About half' is my famous answer. Could I be more vague? Maybe.
They have a job to do, as do I.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
Kenosis

Post by Kenosis »

TSiWRX wrote: I see what you're saying, schmieg, but from the discourse in the thread so far, I'm definitely not reading it as you are. I'm getting the distinct feeling that Kenosis's point is that there isn't a need to chamber that round. That, to me, my home/property is the "FOB," that as soon as I open that door, we are, as you noted, "over the wire" - but that Kenosis's view is that, as civilians inside the US, we're "on base."
TSiWRX I think you read me clearly. I feel 'on the FOB' everywhere I've been in Ohio so far.

Schmieg is right, however, in that it all depends on one's perspective. Here in Williams County I feel 'on the FOB' when I'm at the store, park, or at work, 24/7. Now if I were in a high crime area, like Chicago, which literally has a higher homicide rate than war-torn Afghanistan, I would sleep in body armor and my round-in-chamber rifle on my chest :)
Kenosis

Post by Kenosis »

Brian D. wrote:A little more about that last situation I mentioned. You arrive home late one evening and see someone you don't know inside skulking around. Okay, so normally you'd call the police and wait outside, but your wife and kids are in there too. So, you have to go in. Now's not the time to be trying to quietly chamber a round. Pulling the slide back slow and/or controlling its forward movement is a terrific way to make a semi-auto choke.
Ohio law requires that as an unlicensed citizen I unload my gun while driving. The law does not afford me the choice but to make noise by racking the slide; and then only after exiting my car to retrieve the ammunition.

If I'm a victim of road rage while driving home tomorrow, I'm screwed. Ohio law denies my RKBA within my own car while driving. IMO saying carrying in your car is concealed is like saying carrying inside your house is concealed, but one is legal and the other is not. The law is inconsistent (imagine that!).

If we could just change the law so that entering a car doesn't change the definition of how one carries, that would be a great start.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Yeah I know the laws, Kenosis, been here done this a long time now. My hypothetical was more of a just that, hypothetical, for the crowd at large in this thread.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

The OSHP has determined that unlicensed (unvetted) individuals inside a car with a loaded gun puts the lives of Patrolmen at risk of unknowns when enforcing laws at a traffic stop. I tend to agree.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

curmudgeon3 wrote:The OSHP has determined that unlicensed (unvetted) individuals inside a car with a loaded gun puts the lives of Patrolmen at risk of unknowns when enforcing laws at a traffic stop. I tend to agree.

Ah, but how many criminals don't carry inside their car because they can't get a CHL and they don't give a crap?...They gotta get to the scene of where they commit their crimes somehow..What about the ones that walk around with a concealed weapon?..Laws don't stop anyone but law abiding citizens.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Unlicensed, unvetted ....
http://www.cleveland.com/lakewood/index ... iver_index" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

The point is..Did it being against the law stop them?..Evidently not..That's my point..You're going to have people carry firearms when they shouldn't be..But hamstringing folks that ARE law abiding, will in no way stop that...This law is no different than any other gun law.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

curmudgeon3 wrote:The OSHP has determined that unlicensed (unvetted) individuals inside a car with a loaded gun puts the lives of Patrolmen at risk of unknowns when enforcing laws at a traffic stop. I tend to agree.
I respectfully submit that it is not the lack of license/vetting that creates the risk to patrolmen. Rather it is the presence of homicide prone criminals with or without guns that creates the risk. No doubt that a homicide prone criminal with a gun is more of a risk than a homicide prone criminal without a gun.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

It's for the Officers' safety, it alerts them, as demonstrated in the article. (Stop & frisk was made illegal.) Rules of engagement letting the predators shoot first is hardly conducive to Officer safety.
Last edited by curmudgeon3 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

curmudgeon3 wrote:It's for the Officers' safety, it alerts them, as demonstrated in the article.
How does alerting the officer of a law-abiding citizen in possession of a firearm help officer safety when executing a stop on a criminal in possession of a firearm? :?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

JustaShooter wrote:
curmudgeon3 wrote:It's for the Officers' safety, it alerts them, as demonstrated in the article.
How does alerting the officer of a law-abiding citizen in possession of a firearm help officer safety when executing a stop on a criminal in possession of a firearm? :?
Obviously, it doesn't.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

curmudgeon3 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
Obviously, it doesn't.
Well there you go. It's another gun law that only affects law-abiding citizens, and provides no amount of officer safety. Just like we are able to carry freely in our own homes without a license, we should be able to carry freely in our vehicles without a license.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!