Carry with no round chambered.

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Carry with no round chambered.

Post by TSiWRX »

It's why I drew the quote out via a copy-paste. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
bearkitty

Post by bearkitty »

Michael wrote:There is no logical or rational reason to not carry with a round in the chamber.
While agree with this as I ALWAYS carry C1, I have a few comments to add:

My husband was a career Army MP. He was trained and has 'carried' this way [ETA: empty pipe] since he was 18. He'll be 50 this year. He refused to get a CHL, so that puts him a situation similar to what the OP is currently experiencing. It's what he knows and where he's comfortable. He's afraid of making that change.

That all makes sense to me....except.....I hope I remember that extra step if I ever need to reach for his handgun to defend myself. I remind myself of it constantly. We practice it regularly at the range where we lay both on the bench and he'll call out a scenario that tells me which one to pick up and fire. It seems to help. I still have to be hyper-aware and trust I can remember that.

If he racks mine, he simply loses a round. If I forget to rack his, it may be too late. I remind him of this often :D
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

I cut newbies a little slack. Being new to CC, and fairly new to gun in general, the first week or two I carried with an empty chamber. The paranoia of being only a step away from firing (no manual safely on a Glock) was a bit much for a noob. My friend and teacher just looked at me squarely and directly and said "Just be aware of the condition you're carrying in.".

After a week or so of carrying, putting the holster on, off, occasional handling to unload, whatever, I got over it.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

bearkitty wrote:
Michael wrote:There is no logical or rational reason to not carry with a round in the chamber.
While agree with this as I ALWAYS carry C1, I have a few comments to add:

My husband was a career Army MP. He was trained and has 'carried' this way [ETA: empty pipe] since he was 18. He'll be 50 this year. He refused to get a CHL, so that puts him a situation similar to what the OP is currently experiencing. It's what he knows and where he's comfortable. He's afraid of making that change.

That all makes sense to me....except.....I hope I remember that extra step if I ever need to reach for his handgun to defend myself. I remind myself of it constantly. We practice it regularly at the range where we lay both on the bench and he'll call out a scenario that tells me which one to pick up and fire. It seems to help. I still have to be hyper-aware and trust I can remember that.

If he racks mine, he simply loses a round. If I forget to rack his, it may be too late. I remind him of this often :D
I'm not sure what they are teaching now in the Army with the M9's, but we were told to never carry with a round chambered with the 1911. I did not follow that training while in the bush in Viet Nam however.

Back then, many of the pilots carried revolvers as they were afraid of not having use of both hands after a crash. The empty chamber on the 1911 had been drilled into them hard.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Sneakypete
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Sneakypete »

schmieg wrote:
bearkitty wrote:
I'm not sure what they are teaching now in the Army with the M9's, but we were told to never carry with a round chambered with the 1911. I did not follow that training while in the bush in Viet Nam however.

Back then, many of the pilots carried revolvers as they were afraid of not having use of both hands after a crash. The empty chamber on the 1911 had been drilled into them hard.

When I was in country, the first thing you did when going outside the wire was to chamber a round. (in every weapon)
Duty, Honor, Country.
These three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be.
-Gen Douglas MacArthur

You have never lived until you have almost died.
For those who have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know.
Kenosis

Post by Kenosis »

Sneakypete wrote: When I was in country, the first thing you did when going outside the wire was to chamber a round. (in every weapon)
Same here, but as civilians within the United States we are not "in country". We are on the FOB.
Kenosis

Post by Kenosis »

JonasM wrote:I cut newbies a little slack. Being new to CC, and fairly new to gun in general, the first week or two I carried with an empty chamber. The paranoia of being only a step away from firing (no manual safely on a Glock) was a bit much for a noob. My friend and teacher just looked at me squarely and directly and said "Just be aware of the condition you're carrying in.".

After a week or so of carrying, putting the holster on, off, occasional handling to unload, whatever, I got over it.
I have no problem carrying with a round chambered. I'm well trained in firearms and have a fair amount of experience with the majority of small arms the Army issues.

I have no problem carrying without a round chambered, too, if that's what keeps the MWAG calls away. The very last thing I need is an incident for the ex to use in court during our upcoming child custody case.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Kenosis wrote:
Sneakypete wrote: When I was in country, the first thing you did when going outside the wire was to chamber a round. (in every weapon)
Same here, but as civilians within the United States we are not "in country". We are on the FOB.
Ah, but Kenosis, that depends on one's outlook..... :)

How many times have we heard the victim say: "I never thought it could happen to me?"

How many times have we heard - or, for several on this Forum, even have typed these very words after reading or viewing the morning news feed - "Wow, that's just down the street?"

Depending on how one views things, as soon as you step outside your door/property, you're "in country."
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

TSiWRX wrote:
Kenosis wrote:
Ah, but Kenosis, that depends on one's outlook..... :)

How many times have we heard the victim say: "I never thought it could happen to me?"

How many times have we heard - or, for several on this Forum, even have typed these very words after reading or viewing the morning news feed - "Wow, that's just down the street?"

Depending on how one views things, as soon as you step outside your door/property, you're "in country."
He's saying the same thing you are. FOB is Forward Operations Base.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Not how I'm reading it -

To me, Kenosis suggests that we're still "on base," which is why there's no need to have a round in the chamber - it's only when we go "over the wire" that we would need to do so.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

TSiWRX wrote:^ Not how I'm reading it -

To me, Kenosis suggests that we're still "on base," which is why there's no need to have a round in the chamber - it's only when we go "over the wire" that we would need to do so.
Over the wire is out the front door.
-- Mike

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

What I read of sneakypete's last post is that "on-base" - without stepping "outside the wire" as Sneakypete put it - the gun is without a round in the chamber.
What I read of Kenosis's view is that we're not "outside the wire," but rather, that as citizens within CONUS, we are within the confines of the base (FOB it may be, but still behind the wire), and therefore without the need to carry with a round chambered.
Kenosis wrote:
I see what you're saying, schmieg, but from the discourse in the thread so far, I'm definitely not reading it as you are. I'm getting the distinct feeling that Kenosis's point is that there isn't a need to chamber that round. That, to me, my home/property is the "FOB," that as soon as I open that door, we are, as you noted, "over the wire" - but that Kenosis's view is that, as civilians inside the US, we're "on base."
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Come on gang, all this back and forth about comparing the military to...whatever. It was fun for a minute, but really! You can be attacked while you're in your home. You can be attacked while away from home. You can be ambushed as you're leaving your home, or entering it. All these things can and do occur.

A little more about that last situation I mentioned. You arrive home late one evening and see someone you don't know inside skulking around. Okay, so normally you'd call the police and wait outside, but your wife and kids are in there too. So, you have to go in. Now's not the time to be trying to quietly chamber a round. Pulling the slide back slow and/or controlling its forward movement is a terrific way to make a semi-auto choke.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Brian D. wrote:Come on gang, all this back and forth about comparing the military to...whatever. It was fun for a minute, but really! You can be attacked while you're in your home. You can be attacked while away from home. You can be ambushed as you're leaving your home, or entering it. All these things can and do occur.
^ Definitely true.

While there's a lot of parallels between the civilian, police, and military worlds, there's also a lot of very distinct differences.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

"Cocked and locked." --- Saint JMB.