Open carry bad for business...HIS...

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Open carry bad for business...HIS...

Post by gaptrick »

Summer months I turn into something between a sloppy concealed carrier and an open carrier.. T shirt comfort without always remembering to blouse the T over the gun... Today was an open carry, no blousing day apparently.

After 8 years it happened.

I saw a local business opening up shop with their new sign on the street stating they were a steel house. Me being a machine shop who works primarily with steel I took great interest.

Out on a delivery and a pick up I made it a point to stop in, introduce myself and see if there was anything we could do for each other. I walked in to find stacks of plate and sheet goods but no one around. Turning around and going back to the front of the place I saw an office with a man looking at me from his desk. I entered the office and handed him my card, introduced myself and explained how I was a neighbor right across the drive and how I had this shop. I asked him exactly what it was he sold but the conversation immediately went off course before he answered.

"You like open carry?" Figuring at this point I'm had I didn't need to look down to see the form of carry I was currently in.

"Yes, I do open carry" was my reply.

I then start getting a lecture as to how I should have had a badge, how I scare people and how is he supposed to figure out if I mean him harm. I interrupted him and said I was sorry but I didn't see a posting and he said he didn't post.

I'm sorry folks, but sometimes one it just out of breath and tired of touting the cause. I wasn't going to argue. I wasn't going to debate. I wasn't going to lift an eyebrow. I reached over his desk and removed my business card from his hand and wished him well and left.

This one terrific country.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Open carry bad for business...HIS...

Post by Aesinsp »

Seems to me you did have your badge, right there somewhere on your waist presumably.
I'd bet he had something within reach himself.. just not in the open :shock:
Give it a while, maybe one of you will reconsider trying introductions at some point.
I do like your no-nonsense response.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

I wasn't there to hear the conversation in it's entirety....or his tone of voice.....but me thinks he wouldn't want my business either. :wink:
Chewing out a poss. customer doesn't ,(normally) , lead to them wanting to do business with you later.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Sounds like you had the best and most perfect response.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Javelin Man wrote:Sounds like you had the best and most perfect response.
I agree.

Gaptrick winz teh Interwebz today !!
gaptrick wrote: I reached over his desk and removed my business card from his hand and wished him well and left.
MyWifeSaidYes
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Its just disheartening to hear the uneducated open their mouths. When one spends so much time in the choir and talking to like minded people for so long, that getting out in the world among the ninnies is an eye opener that says there so much more work to be done.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
docachna

Post by docachna »

gaptrick wrote:Its just disheartening to hear the uneducated open their mouths. When one spends so much time in the choir and talking to like minded people for so long, that getting out in the world among the ninnies is an eye opener that says there so much more work to be done.
Like you, I have grown weary of arguing with the sheeple. In the situation where I think I have a decent chance of having a cogent discussion, I'll still take it on, but I no longer try to meet emotion with facts. It simply can't be done. You might as well argue with that computer monitor you're looking at right now (smartphone, whatever). You'll get just as much comprehension and intelligent discourse.

Hate to get to the point where I only worry about "me and mine", but that's it these days. :cry:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE