A beer while open carrying on your own property

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: A beer while open carrying on your own property

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I'll drink to that.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Well, since Pirateguy's buying ......

**hic**
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Mustang380gal wrote:And yet our neighbor, Pennsylvania, allows adult beverages while carrying. There aren't reports of CHL holders going on drunken rampages, bad shoots or any other misdeeds after they have partaken.
Bracketed! Indiana also has similar law as Penn.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

If I come home from work and have a beer in the evening, do I forfeit my right to self defense?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

curmudgeon3 wrote:Well, since Pirateguy's buying ......

**hic**
Come on over.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

It would be my luck to draw a random traffic stop with sarsaparilla on my breath. :|
sparky43040

Post by sparky43040 »

Hell I didn't even have a beer nor did LEOs even see me with a firearm....

Had a bad time during my divorce...ex BIL came out to my place to check on me...I was relaxing,,had taken the last 2 or 3 pills of muscle relaxers with a few beers....I must have passed out or fell asleep...anyway BIL called his mom (a nurse) told her about the pills & the empty bottle...she told him "better get him to hospital" Woke up in hospital bed with charcoal in my mouth...anyway spent the night....son takes me home the next day with instructions to keep an eye on me

Home around noon.....play pool....drink beer....take nap....wake up...son and his friends still playing pool,,drinking my beer
and the horses have not been fed...I get mad at them....go out and feed the horses...get in truck and drive to friends house some 30 miles away....He's not home...take another nap...wake up several hours later....drive home

Son meets me at the door and says he called LEO....I'm home about 5 mins when all the county LEOs are in my driveway
turn off interior lights.....after several hrs of back & forth talking...cops leave...going to spend night at friends house..
at friends house with my first beer in almost 5 hrs...Leos come..hospital..then talk to a Councilor..supposed to go home..NOT
Go to jail charged with "in possession of a firearm while under the influence" plea bargain down to mis. jail time suspended...100 hrs CS about 3 months to get back my "toys" about $2500 a REALLY bad time in my life!!
I like my guns & I like my beer but NEVER together. think I'm done!!!
Thanlon23

Post by Thanlon23 »

If you've got your gun on you and you're drinking on your own private property, or someone else's PRIVATE property (as in their home, not a bar or restaurant) then as long as you don't fire the weapon I don't think you're breaking any laws because you're on private property.

Now if you shoot someone, your state if soberness or inebriation will be taken into account.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Thanlon23 wrote:If you've got your gun on you and you're drinking on your own private property, or someone else's PRIVATE property (as in their home, not a bar or restaurant) then as long as you don't fire the weapon I don't think you're breaking any laws because you're on private property.

Now if you shoot someone, your state if soberness or inebriation will be taken into account.
Hmmm! And having a drink while armed in a Private Club?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Thanlon23 wrote:If you've got your gun on you and you're drinking on your own private property, or someone else's PRIVATE property (as in their home, not a bar or restaurant) then as long as you don't fire the weapon I don't think you're breaking any laws because you're on private property.

You are perhaps unaware of ORC 2923.15 Using weapons while intoxicated:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2923.15 Using weapons while intoxicated.

(A) No person, while under the influence of alcohol or any drug of abuse, shall carry or use any firearm or dangerous ordnance.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of using weapons while intoxicated, a misdemeanor of the first degree.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Thanlon23

Post by Thanlon23 »

JustaShooter wrote:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(A) No person, while under the influence of alcohol or any drug of abuse, shall carry or use any firearm or dangerous ordnance.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of using weapons while intoxicated, a misdemeanor of the first degree.

So if someone breaks into my house while I am drinking a beer one night, I don't have the right to defend myself?
Thanlon23

Post by Thanlon23 »

Cruiser wrote:

Hmmm! And having a drink while armed in a Private Club?
A private club is still considered a bar. I specifically spoke of being in your own home or someone else's dwelling.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Thanlon23 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:

So if someone breaks into my house while I am drinking a beer one night, I don't have the right to defend myself?
Didn't say that. Just telling you what the law is. Draw your own conclusions. In the words of one of our departed members, life is replete with choices.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I stopped with the beer and am on to whiskey so I'm good right?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

pirateguy191 wrote:I stopped with the beer and am on to whiskey so I'm good right?
As long as you use a beer chaser.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens