A beer while open carrying on your own property

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

johnwilliamson062

A beer while open carrying on your own property

Post by johnwilliamson062 »

Just what the title says.
Not intoxicated.
Just if I have a cookout, somebody brings some exotic brew and I accept one type of situation.

Legal or illegal?
Would a chl make it illegal?
Would concealed with a chl make it illegal?
djthomas

Re: A beer while open carrying on your own property

Post by djthomas »

If it's property you own that is covered by a Class D liquor license (e.g. the bar you own) then it would be illegal on several fronts. Anything else and it's not illegal at all.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Unless of course there is for whatever reason LE is called to your property and the cop deems you as being under the influence... not .06... not .04... just his opinion that you are.

Then, not so much good to go....
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
johnwilliamson062

Post by johnwilliamson062 »

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that is a no.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

johnwilliamson062 wrote:http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.15

I think that is a no.
All depends on who/what determines "under the influence".
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
Tayllen

Post by Tayllen »

Rule of thumb should be - If you consume ANY alcohol, the answer is NO. It's is your responsibility to have a clear head. It's easy. Alcohol and firearms DO NOT MIX.

Remember as a CHL holder, we are held to a higher standard and must maintain it at all times.
+--==--+
Ruger SR9C/CT Grip Laser, Ruger SR40, Beretta [Italia] 92FS, Marlin 60 22LR
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

My thumbs are gonna go cook some burgers and have a couple beers.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Tayllen wrote:Rule of thumb should be - If you consume ANY alcohol, the answer is NO. It's is your responsibility to have a clear head. It's easy. Alcohol and firearms DO NOT MIX.

Remember as a CHL holder, we are held to a higher standard and must maintain it at all times.
If this is your own, personal "rule of thumb" then fine. But I take exception to the imposition of someone else's subjective standards upon myself. If I choose to have a beer, that's my business. If I'm armed while I do it, that's also my business.

As I type this, I'm sitting on my back deck. Armed. With a beer (and an evil cigar, at that). If that terrifies someone, then I invite them to stay in their safe space and not visit me.

If I'm in a Class D facility while armed, I will not consume alchohol because that's what the law currently says. Not because I agree that the law is correct or even sensical but simply because I am a law abiding citizen and that's what the law says.

The black and white proposition that "alcohol and firearms DO NOT mix" may work for others, but I find it ludicrous to presuppose that the consumption of alcohol revokes my right to self-defense. Yes, I'm aware that others here (perhaps many others) disagree. But then, we also disagree as to whether or not one should hang out in the left lane, so...meh.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

For someone that has posted twice in two years, Tayllen seems to be against carrying guns.
MyWifeSaidYes
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I'm not giving up my rights because I chose to have a couple beers. Ain't gonna happen.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

I always chuckle when I overhear people at a restaurant, drinking a glass of wine while waving their steak knives around, discussing guns in bars.
HancockCountyHaL
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Alcoholic beverages, in any amount, reduces inhibitions (ask any lounge lizard); imbibing while driving a vehicle or carrying a firearm is affected by it, so there are choices to be made about oneself and others, regardless of one's personal capability.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

HancockCountyHAl wrote:I always chuckle when I overhear people at a restaurant, drinking a glass of wine while waving their steak knives around, discussing guns in bars.
Good one Hal! You might recall that, after the O.J. Simpson murder trial debacle, Simpson was denied service at, and thrown out of, a restaurant in Louisville Ky. the night before the Kentucky Derby. I happened to eat there a week later and brought it up with the manager when he stopped by the table. The more I thought about it the more I agreed: Who wants to have somebody like Simpson a couple tables away at a steakhouse, with several knives right there in front of him? I wouldn't want to be there at the same time.

The manager lowered his voice to a "This is between us, okay?" level and told me what had troubled him: Not only did Simpson have a large group of hangers-on with him, but a few folks from other tables came over to glad hand O.J. before he was asked (told) to leave.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

My answer to the OP's question:
I think having a beer while armed is a bad choice.
Best regards.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
hank.forker

Post by hank.forker »

I have yet to go on a murderous rampage after having a drink. YMMV.