Young punk/gang banger look whie carrying !

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Young punk/gang banger look whie carrying !

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

I stopped in to get a pop for my oldest in the local gas station and going up to the counter to pay for it, this young fellow, early 20's I'd guess, was wearing his pants half way down past his , well , you know how.....or where.... some young kids wear their pants and then he turns around and he's carrying a gun on his hip. I didn't try to strike up a conversation w/ him as he walked out but I caught myself shaking my head afterwards.

Now i believe people have a right to carry how ever they please and I might be a little old school but the young punk/ gang banger look while carrying openly......or concealing , if it would happen to show....doesn't help our image one bit.

I don't know if he had a lic. or not but was clearly openly carrying.

Anyone ever see someone dressed like this and carrying ? What do some of you think about this?
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Brian D.

Re: Young punk/gang banger look whie carrying !

Post by Brian D. »

Was he carrying in a holster? Wearing a belt? That's the practical side of the matter. His fashion choices don't matter that much to me looks wise.

One student in the CHL class I took way back when dressed sort of like that. He had no criminal record, and a decent job. But as a young working man, still resided in a neighborhood where a lot of his contemporaries had records and no (above board) job to make a living from. So, the student told me he often dressed to fit in and not look like a "sell out" to the banger types where he lived.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I had three students last class that seemed like decent you men that grew up in bad situations. They dressed "appropriately" for class but I can imagine they sag their pants when they get back to their element. One lives in a pretty bad part of Cleveland. I gave them information to make themselves legal.........for a change.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Gun wasn't drawn and pointed at anyone?

I have no problem with them.

Too many people think that clean cut, well groomed, mannerly adults that open carry give gun owners "a bad name".

Yes, I know the look you are describing, and I personally think that "look" looks stupid, but I have to separate that opinion from their right.
MyWifeSaidYes
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

I think keeping a closed mind and not excepting good people for who they are and the way they choose to look makes us look bad.

Perhaps judging the young man without knowing anything about him makes us look bad as a group.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Gun wasn't drawn and pointed at anyone?

I have no problem with them.

Too many people think that clean cut, well groomed, mannerly adults that open carry give gun owners "a bad name".

Yes, I know the look you are describing, and I personally think that "look" looks stupid, but I have to separate that opinion from their right.
Could have been worse, could have taped it to his head or something. :wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

TJW815 wrote:Could have been worse, could have taped it to his head or something. :wink:
Yeah.

People that do that are just weird !!

:mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

I was interested in what some of you would say. But what I left out was how "I" was dressed and looked......and probably smelled......at the time, as I just finished my routes for the day and I was grungy with mud all over my pants and I was sweating most of the day and I'm sure my hair was a mess......not that I cared.....and I wasn't concealing either, but I got back in my truck thinking that guy was setting a bad example and then realized what I looked like.....I was filthy and he wasn't ! Anyway, it just made me think twice about the whole thing.
Darrel
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Very good "Now, the rest of the story", Darrel.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I have seen lot of the guys on this forum that look like they need some advice on dressing.. :P As long as I'm not having dinner I can "put up " get it ? Put up with this kind of dress as long as they don't start trouble.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

...but to ask again, how was he carrying/ A holster? With/WO a belt" Holster clipped to the pants?

This intrigues me... I sit in wonder and awe how these kids manage to walk, let alone with 2-3 pounds of hardware on them.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:I was interested in what some of you would say. But what I left out was how "I" was dressed and looked......and probably smelled......at the time, as I just finished my routes for the day and I was grungy with mud all over my pants and I was sweating most of the day and I'm sure my hair was a mess......not that I cared.....and I wasn't concealing either, but I got back in my truck thinking that guy was setting a bad example and then realized what I looked like.....I was filthy and he wasn't ! Anyway, it just made me think twice about the whole thing.
This just says to me that carrying is not for those in suits and ties. It's for anybody. Normal people work hard and get dirty. They are important to their families, and have the right and deserve to have the means to protect themselves for their own benefit, and for their loved ones'.

But I will be happy when the pants to the buttocks crease fad ends, and hopefully they dress more sensibly. If I would have forced my kids to wear oversized pants before the craze started, I would have heard all kinds of whining and fussing.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

There's pants that are skin tight.

There's pants that ride low and loose.

There's pants that are ripped.

There's pants made out of materials that were likely not intended for that purpose in the first place.

There's pants that are in some awful patterns or colors.

What's this tell us, when we disapprove of such fashion?

Sure, it says that we're biased.

But it also says that we're old. :P :lol:

How many here remember what their parents or grandparents said to them about their fashion choices or hairstyle?

Heck, look at the change in the cut/fit of even men's business or formal wear over the course of the last decade - or two or even three. From shoulder pads to skinny, anyone doing an :roll: , yet?

How many of us remember when tattoos and piercings were only sported by "a certain type of folks?"

I'm not going to pretend that I don't have my own personal prejudices. I'm human, and just like 3FULLMAGS+1's OP and follow-up, I've done my share of double-takes (be it how someone looks or what I had expected of their behavior) and have come to the same "Oh, huh, I guess I forgot what *_I_* look like! :oops: " realizations, too. Humbling.

Great thread, 3FULLMAGS+1. It reminds me that it's what's on the inside that counts. :)

I can't wait to meet my daughter's significant other. :lol: That's gonna be all kinds of fun. :lol: Only a few more years......
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

gaptrick wrote:...but to ask again, how was he carrying/ A holster? With/WO a belt" Holster clipped to the pants?

This intrigues me... I sit in wonder and awe how these kids manage to walk, let alone with 2-3 pounds of hardware on them.
The gun looked like it was one of those small, thin Glock 380's in a holster maybe clipped to his pants......saw no belt.

TSiWRX » Mon May 02, 2016 5:25 pm..... "But it also says that we're old. :P :lol:" [/quote]

That's how I feel....I'll be 50 this month and "old school" is how I'd describe myself !

It's just that seeing someone wearing their pants like that and carrying isn't something you see in my neck of the woods. :lol:
Darrel
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ :D Swing by my side of town.

I think an open-carrier with a lot of mud on his work-clothes would instead be the one who triggers the :? :shock: :lol:

:)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio