Anybody got stats on open carriers being shot?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AlanM

Anybody got stats on open carriers being shot?

Post by AlanM »

I just came across this article:
OPEN CARRY: People Are FLIPPING Out Over This VIRAL Pic (Does It Bother YOU?)

I assume that it's due to the venue that most of the comments are positive but one thing that keeps coming up in those comments is the statement that they feel that if anything untoward were to happen the open carrier would be the first person shot.

Can anyone provide any statistics to validate this opinion?

Has anybody noticed ANY stories of open carriers being shot during an altercation or robbery?
I mean BEFORE they drew their weapon.

BTW - I open carry every time I leave the house, everywhere I legally can (which in this part of Virginia is pretty much everywhere).
That includes my doctor's office (which isn't in a hospital).
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Anybody got stats on open carriers being shot?

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

AlanM wrote:...

I assume that it's due to the venue that most of the comments are positive but one thing that keeps coming up in those comments is the statement that they feel that if anything untoward were to happen the open carrier would be the first person shot.

Can anyone provide any statistics to validate this opinion?

Has anybody noticed ANY stories of open carriers being shot during an altercation or robbery...
Nope. Hasn't happened.
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Shot, no. Disarmed by force, yes, maybe four or five times in 15-20 years. Situational awareness of the carrier was terrible in most if not all of those cases.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Brian D. wrote:Shot, no. Disarmed by force, yes, maybe four or five times in 15-20 years. Situational awareness of the carrier was terrible in most if not all of those cases.
There have even been attacks and attempted disarms of concealed carriers that have accidentally exposed their gun or even printed.

Bob Owens, the editor of BearingArms.com, has quite a bit of research supporting NOT open carrying, but no incidents of open carriers actually being shot, let alone "shot first".
MyWifeSaidYes
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Brian D. wrote:Shot, no. Disarmed by force, yes, maybe four or five times in 15-20 years. Situational awareness of the carrier was terrible in most if not all of those cases.
There have even been attacks and attempted disarms of concealed carriers that have accidentally exposed their gun or even printed.

Bob Owens, the editor of BearingArms.com, has quite a bit of research supporting NOT open carrying, but no incidents of open carriers actually being shot, let alone "shot first".

Research ? ? ? Guess we should all go read that so we can see what we are NOT doing wrong......(I think I said that right).
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".