Open carry walk BGSU - 4/16

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BB62

Re: Open carry walk BGSU - 4/16

Post by BB62 »

XDSC9G30 wrote:... Jeff, you were a very busy man and tried your best to introduce yourself to everyone, my girlfriend and I stayed back because I like to observe so you missed us. ...
First, thanks for coming and thanks for your comments.

Just to clarify - I was not only introducing myself to people, but also thanking them for coming, asking how they'd heard about the Walk, talking to some about HB48, asking them to indicate "Going" if they hadn't done so previously, asking them to "friend" me for notifications for future Walks, and if they had a longarm, reiterating empty chamber, safety on, and muzzle control. If they were a student, I asked other questions. Appreciation + requests + dialogue = a more informed and better organizer, IMHO.

XDSC9G30 wrote:... We are visible in some shots of this walk and visibly distant from the crowds. ...
Now I'm really curious! If you don't want to identify yourself publicly, how about sending me a PM on Facebook?

XDSC9G30 wrote:...Please start on time. This walk started nearly 30 minutes late, people on a schedule may schedule only so much time for a walk that is expected to start at the specified time. I understand media showed up late and others did as well. Maybe I just see punctuality as too major of an event. ...
Being timely is one of my goals, but getting airtime for our endeavor has to override that at times. It really irked me when the one station showed up at (I think) a bit past one, but... <sigh> In personal terms, I know we lost a few people because they had scheduled activities they had to get to, but I simply can't ignore the bigger picture and insist on strict adherence to the clock. In the future, however, I will make it a point to address participants who may have to leave early. Also, you may note that I've made the request that people show up for MU Walk at NOON, an hour before the scheduled Walk time.

The bottom line is that coverage = exposure = more participants and more informed members of the public, which possibly equals more pressure when either I or the existing "gun rights" groups make a determined push in the legislature for campus carry.

XDSC9G30 wrote:...The other item I had issues with was one of the gentleman in the photos that kept antagonizing the protesters he did this for at least 20 minutes that I observed. I am all for reasonable conversation but when the other participants do not want to strike up conversations then please let them be, especially during walks like this. I actually had to step in and let this gentleman know that he was making the rest of us look bad by his constant badgering of the protester carrying the "Remember Trayvon" sign. Thankfully it was a very quiet conversation and he abruptly stopped after I informed him he was making everyone else at the walk look bad. ...
I can't speak to the specifics of the gentlemen's interaction with the protester (and don't know who he is), and wouldn't have wanted to make an announcement like "Don't hassle the protesters", because then the media would say something like "Jeffry Smith felt compelled to tell participants..." - BUT thanks for pointing out your observation. It appears you handled things quietly and effectively, though. Thank you.

If you have more thoughts, observations, etc. please post them, and thanks again for coming to the Walk.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
XDSC9G30

Post by XDSC9G30 »

Not a big secret who we are since we have been to numerous PITP and I have met a few of you through dealings. However I PM'ed Jeff with more info regarding who we were in the pictures and video. I prefer not to be seen at most events I go to ...even family gatherings. I am pretty sure we have been in PITP photos since we happened to win drawings random years.

The gentleman antagonizing didn't appear to have anyone else with him. I totally agree any sort of announcement would have appeared horrible in media terms, while also agreeing without coverage and media these events don't serve the same purpose. Thankfully he understood and took what I said to heart and stopped. Otherwise the media may have picked up on it. He stopped before the news stations other than Sentinel Tribune got there. This guy just irked me and was everything I never want to see at a PRO 2A event. I didn't mean to fault Jeff or the walk for this gentleman's actions if it sounded as if I did.

Jeff from what I saw at this event is a great ambassador for the cause, hopefully I can join more of your walks in the future. Please let me know where I can follow you to find out about more of these events.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

OldManTod wrote:The most offensive thing is the video is that Pittsbwurgh Squeelers shirt.... well that and the music...
If you want to compose and perform some copyright-free soundtracks, feel free to do so.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

XDSC9G30 wrote:... Please let me know where I can follow you to find out about more of these events.
The "Competition & Events" forum here is a good place to start: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewforum.php?f=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes