Open Carry Walk Miami University

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Victory Bill

Open Carry Walk Miami University

Post by Victory Bill »

There is an open carry walk scheduled for April 30, 2016 at Miami University in Oxford Ohio. The walk is scheduled to begin around 1:00pm. Believe it or not, I found out about it in my Politics of Gun Control class today. Here is the url http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showt ... niversity-(Oxford" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Open Carry Walk Miami University

Post by gaptrick »

What an interesting class your taking....
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

gaptrick wrote:What an interesting class your taking....
Yeah, at what school is that class available?
MyWifeSaidYes
Victory Bill

Post by Victory Bill »

I'm taking classes at Miami University. So far the professor has presented no bias, one way or the other. We had a guest speaker from the Butler County Sheriff's office. He is the one that informed the class. You should have heard the gasps from the student. A majority of them were not to happy about it. Can't wait for the 30th. There's a "BLM speaker coming to the university soon as well (not the Bureau of Land Management).

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
docachna

Post by docachna »

The demand by the injured students at Miami that the university establish a "safe zone" for them, so they can avoid the damaging effects of those marchers, should be coming

any....

minute....

now.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

As a percentage of student population you'll probably find more conservatives at Miami than any other school in Ohio.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Believe it or not OSU has a gun politics class as well.
Victory Bill

Post by Victory Bill »

I took the class hoping to challenge any anti 2A drivel from the professor but she has presented both sides equally and fairly. In one regard, I'm a little disappointed but on the other, I'm very pleased with the neutrality of the presented material. The latter more important than my self-gratification of course.

Victory Bill

Post by Victory Bill »

djthomas wrote:As a percentage of student population you'll probably find more conservatives at Miami than any other school in Ohio.
This has been my experience. Obviously not 100% but probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-40%.

Kenedy

Post by Kenedy »

That's really good news!
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Yeah, move to the opposite corner of Ohio if you want serious "anti" attitudes.
MyWifeSaidYes
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

Who is teaching that class? A couple of years ago, I was contacted by a female professor to speak at a similar class there. Then before it was setup, there was that murder/suicide of the coed there. Never heard back from the prof.

JLE
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

Victory Bill wrote:I'm taking classes at Miami University. So far the professor has presented no bias, one way or the other. We had a guest speaker from the Butler County Sheriff's office. He is the one that informed the class. You should have heard the gasps from the student. A majority of them were not to happy about it. Can't wait for the 30th. There's a "BLM speaker coming to the university soon as well (not the Bureau of Land Management).
Do me a favor. If you attend the BLM meeting ask them if the over 8 out of 10 black babies in NYC who are aborted if their lives matter.
Victory Bill

Post by Victory Bill »

JEaton wrote:Who is teaching that class? A couple of years ago, I was contacted by a female professor to speak at a similar class there. Then before it was setup, there was that murder/suicide of the coed there. Never heard back from the prof.

JLE
Her name is Dr. Amanda Gillespie. I've been around the block (no spring chicken here) and I'm especially sensitive to bias. Since the beginning of the course, she has not presented any bias, one way or the other...overall a fair presentation of the issue. Is she the same on which invited you?

Victory Bill

Post by Victory Bill »

WeinerDog wrote:
Victory Bill wrote:I'm taking classes at Miami University. So far the professor has presented no bias, one way or the other. We had a guest speaker from the Butler County Sheriff's office. He is the one that informed the class. You should have heard the gasps from the student. A majority of them were not to happy about it. Can't wait for the 30th. There's a "BLM speaker coming to the university soon as well (not the Bureau of Land Management).
Do me a favor. If you attend the BLM meeting ask them if the over 8 out of 10 black babies in NYC who are aborted if their lives matter.
I have no reason to attend such an event. I will never change their minds, they will never change mine. I've written about Margaret Sanger in one of my papers and have even brought it up for discussion in class...not a dent. Hard fast stance. I had a professor tell my class there is a movement afoot to change the term "melting pot," when describing America, to a "mosaic." I beat her about the head and shoulders, verbally about her stance. Her position was that asking immigrants to assimilate was unfair and dominant because they have to give up a portion of their culture if they come here. None of the students pushed back, but I sure as hell did. I told her that people coming to our country HAVE to forego some of their past. We (Americans) do not subscribe to the subjugation of women, the forced labor of children, honor killings, etc... I said, "If anything, the lines between the multiple cultures in our nation need to be blurred, not hard fast distinctions that should be honored by all Americans. That was an interesting day...I got an A in the course but overall, I hope I educated some young skulls full of mush.