Open Carry Walk Miami University

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BB62

>> After Walk Summary <<

Post by BB62 »

As posted to the event page on Facebook:

First, the turnout was HUGE, despite rain. Approximately 58 people started the Walk, and more joined as we continued, bringing the total to an estimated 65 people, including 15 or more students. Simply stunning.

I simply can't thank everyone enough for braving the weather and/or the distance, to come.

In attendance were (and forgive me for not remembering everyone or not remembering everyone's name) Ben and his girlfriend, who traveled from NE Ohio (!), and Molly & Phil from Bowling Green, all four of whom had attended the Bowling Green Walk two weeks ago. Also in attendance were Ilya & Stephanie, and Rodney & Butch, who traveled from Louisville, KY. From Columbus, Ohio came Dominic and Kendall, and from Northern KY came Mike and Cory. Unreal.

At the assembly point were various media, including a Chinese student (the first of two we spoke to) who was somewhat astounded at the armed assemblage.

We walked through part of campus, guided by my memory and by Max and Abby (MU students) as well as other students and employees. We walked on a couple of town streets, then into the uptown area. Conversations were held by various participants along the way, and the group stopped and talked to a couple of female students who hadn't heard of the Walk. (and they weren't the only ones)

Finally, just before we ate, we stopped and talked to various protesters, including Magda Orlander and Evan Fackler. We repeatedly invited them to lunch to continue the conversations (and to get out of the rain), but they politely refused. It was a real shame.

My impression is that in their minds, a discussion of guns ought to be about *everything* that does or may involve guns. Regardless, it's too bad the discussion didn't continue, although I understand Stephen J. Feltoon, the MU grad who suggested an MU Walk to me, had a pleasant conversation after we left to eat.

That's it for me!

Please post YOUR impressions, thanks again for coming, and please FRIEND ME so you are notified of future events.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1701346233480167/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Open Carry Walk Miami University

Post by rickt »

Dayton Daily News article about the walk.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/new ... dn_rotator
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

rickt wrote:Dayton Daily News article about the walk.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/new ... dn_rotator
Magda Orlander, an international student from Luxembourg, engaged in some respectful dialogue with the walkers, who invited her to a late lunch to get out of the rain.
Orlander declined the offer and said some people opted not to come out Saturday, fearing their personal safety.
“Guns alone can’t guarantee safety, and there is a need to raise awareness for other issues such as inequality and violence,” she said.
I agree with the first part of her sentence, but so what? I'd take higher odds of survival over lower odds any day. As to the second part of her sentence, is that really a problem on most of today's college campuses? It seems like for some college students that is their full time job, to raise awareness about inequality.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

In the right hands, firearms can do wonders to eviscerate inequality.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

M-Quigley wrote:
Magda Orlander, an international student from Luxembourg, engaged in some respectful dialogue with the walkers, who invited her to a late lunch to get out of the rain.
Orlander declined the offer and said some people opted not to come out Saturday, fearing their personal safety.
“Guns alone can’t guarantee safety, and there is a need to raise awareness for other issues such as inequality and violence,” she said.
From what I've read, she's a member of the black lives matter movement. Also from what I've read, there were a couple of black people that were carrying guns as part of the walk. It seems young Miss Orlander had a hard time making eye contact with those previously mentioned gun carrying members that were part of the walk. I guess black lives matter but not all black opinions matter.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Most of the students (some hadn't yet arrived, and at least one didn't want to be photographed because she was concerned about her sorority's reaction), plus some guy in a red jacket.

The whole group (minus a few people).

Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

BB62

Post by BB62 »

One of the desires of the protesters re: the Walk was that they wanted to "...keep our campus safe from violence and white supremacy."

I guess it worked!

Got Freedom?

djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Where'd you guys wind up for lunch?
BB62

Post by BB62 »

djthomas wrote:Where'd you guys wind up for lunch?
I ate at SoHi, others ate at Subway or Jimmy John's.

Got Freedom?

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Think they split off to SoHi, Subway, and Jimmy Johns. Uptown gets crowded in a Saturday afternoon. I opted for going to the car and putting on a dry shirt, and wiping/oiling the carry pistol before heading homeward.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

One participant I forgot to speak with happened to be carrying a Browning Hi Power. Younger guy, does my heart good to see another generation has taken to it. 8)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Glad the walk was successful
Sorry I wimped out

I like seeing these walks
Good job BB62!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
dynamike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dynamike »

BB62 wrote:
techguy85 wrote:
BB62 wrote: Really?

Please share with us ALL of the universities that have indicated such a thing - with dates, the person who indicated so, and quotes of their alleged communication which supports your assertion.

We'll be patiently waiting. :roll: :roll:
Okay, I'll play.
OSU Office of Legal Affairs wrote: Good afternoon, Mr. Smith -

Thank you again for your email. We appreciate you addressing this with us in a proactive fashion. Based on your representations about this event and the individuals who will be participating in it, we will not take action against students under our Code of Student Conduct solely for legal possession of a weapon while participating in this walk.
You'll no doubt recall that message from a member of the OSU legal team sent to you on 4/17/14. From the wording of the email it is clear that the University is giving a narrow exception to the normal enforcement of the Student Code of Conduct for the event, and not for open carry on campus as a regular practice.
I know you feel strongly about this, but attempting to claim that it is something that it is not can only make you either look silly in the eyes of those who know the real score or just be flat out dishonest.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

The assertion made by someone who claims knowledge of various things was "Because universities in their responses have indicated that participation in these events is an exercise of free speech." (my red and bold) Note the use of "universities" (PLURAL) and "free speech"

My request was "Please share with us ALL of the universities that have indicated such a thing - with dates, the person who indicated so, and quotes of their alleged communication which supports your assertion." The just quoted sentence indicates that I recognized the plural language used in the original assertion. Furthermore, the "indicated such a thing" refers to the alleged reference to "free speech". I see no such reference in the 4/17/14 communication from OSU, and even if it existed, OSU is merely *one* university, not "universities".

So, rather than dodging the question, and making scurrilous accusations, why don't you come back with something that supports the assertions made?

I'll be patiently waiting for you to supply quotes (etc) from ALL the universities that have "indicated that participation in these events in an exercise of free speech" - and more specifically, that the university was waiving the Student Code of Conduct for that reason.

Good luck! :lol: :lol:
Here's #2 -> https://listserv.uc.edu/scripts/wa.exe? ... 51339.1404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The University of Cincinnati has been notified by organizations of their intention to hold two on-campus demonstrations related to the freedom to bear arms. The proposed demonstrations are legal and consistent with university policies concerning public expression and free speech.
Mike

I am an engineering statistician, US Submarine Veteran, avid motorcyclist, and staunch supporter of Liberty.

Ohio Director Students for Concealed Carry
BB62

Post by BB62 »

BB62 wrote:
techguy85 wrote:
BB62 wrote: Really?

Please share with us ALL of the universities that have indicated such a thing - with dates, the person who indicated so, and quotes of their alleged communication which supports your assertion.

We'll be patiently waiting. :roll: :roll:
Okay, I'll play.
OSU Office of Legal Affairs wrote: Good afternoon, Mr. Smith -

Thank you again for your email. We appreciate you addressing this with us in a proactive fashion. Based on your representations about this event and the individuals who will be participating in it, we will not take action against students under our Code of Student Conduct solely for legal possession of a weapon while participating in this walk.
You'll no doubt recall that message from a member of the OSU legal team sent to you on 4/17/14. From the wording of the email it is clear that the University is giving a narrow exception to the normal enforcement of the Student Code of Conduct for the event, and not for open carry on campus as a regular practice.
I know you feel strongly about this, but attempting to claim that it is something that it is not can only make you either look silly in the eyes of those who know the real score or just be flat out dishonest.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

The assertion made by someone who claims knowledge of various things was "Because universities in their responses have indicated that participation in these events is an exercise of free speech." (my red and bold) Note the use of "universities" (PLURAL) and "free speech"

My request was "Please share with us ALL of the universities that have indicated such a thing - with dates, the person who indicated so, and quotes of their alleged communication which supports your assertion." The just quoted sentence indicates that I recognized the plural language used in the original assertion. Furthermore, the "indicated such a thing" refers to the alleged reference to "free speech". I see no such reference in the 4/17/14 communication from OSU, and even if it existed, OSU is merely *one* university, not "universities".

So, rather than dodging the question, and making scurrilous accusations, why don't you come back with something that supports the assertions made?

I'll be patiently waiting for you to supply quotes (etc) from ALL the universities that have "indicated that participation in these events in an exercise of free speech" - and more specifically, that the university was waiving the Student Code of Conduct for that reason.

Good luck! :lol: :lol:
dynamike wrote: Here's #2 -> https://listserv.uc.edu/scripts/wa.exe? ... 51339.1404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The University of Cincinnati has been notified by organizations of their intention to hold two on-campus demonstrations related to the freedom to bear arms. The proposed demonstrations are legal and consistent with university policies concerning public expression and free speech.
Nice try, Mike. You've got one, and that's all you're gonna get.

Instead of pursuing your exercise of futility, why don't you work on assuring a successful lawsuit, or better yet, getting a legislator to introduce a REAL campus carry bill?

Or, the mod can just lock this thread, since the Walk is over and it was a HUGE success.

Got Freedom?