Positive OC Encounter at Krogers in Groveport

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Positive OC Encounter at Krogers in Groveport

Post by 18M_RWR »

JustaShooter wrote:As long as the consumption isn't taking place at the time you are there, it doesn't matter. And once you have your CHL, it doesn't matter either. But certainly, there are places that aren't restaurants or bars that have Class D licenses and occasionally have wine / beer tastings. I know the Giant Eagle near my office has occasional wine events on Friday evenings. So therefore it is wise to be prudent and observant.
I understand that without a CHL Ohio law does not permit a person to carry a firearm into an establishment that is serving alcohol. I am observant when I OC in any establishment and if I would see it taking place I would promptly leave. If the establishment had any signage advertising such an event at or near the entry I would simply disarm before entering or chose to go elsewhere for whatever I needed.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
Face

Post by Face »

I know the Zanesville Kroger has wine tastings. I also know that others do. My next door neighbor is a rep for an unnamed Ohio wine producer. He gets sent all over the state for these. He's done them in nearly every retail store you can name.

The one in Zanesville had no signage - until you arrived at the little are that were using. (near a Starbucks).

Weird Ohio law - he can not pour the stuff, store employee has to.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Face wrote:I know the Zanesville Kroger has wine tastings. I also know that others do. My next door neighbor is a rep for an unnamed Ohio wine producer. He gets sent all over the state for these. He's done them in nearly every retail store you can name.

The one in Zanesville had no signage - until you arrived at the little are that were using. (near a Starbucks).

Weird Ohio law - he can not pour the stuff, store employee has to.
Lots of years of making liquor laws have given states like Ohio a weird quilt of stuff that is made of everything from up-to-the-minute, to regulations that had their origins in the 1800s. They rarely take any of them off the books, just keep sewing on patches.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Lthrnck

Post by Lthrnck »

The Kroger in Englewood, Ohio is what Kroger's calls a "Marketplace"
This store sells clothes, toys, furniture, small kitchen appliances... etc.
This store also has scheduled "Wine" tastings. They are usually on Thursdays,
but sometimes they have other special events were alcohol is tasted.

I open carry in this store all the time, I do have my CHL, so I don't worry about it.
I have even walk thru the middle of the wine area when they are doing the tasting.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Lthrnck wrote:I open carry in this store all the time, I do have my CHL, so I don't worry about it.
I have even walk thru the middle of the wine area when they are doing the tasting.
I have likewise walked through the middle of the wine tasting at our local Giant Eagle "Marketplace" while openly carrying. One of the few times I've gotten odd looks and raised eyebrows... :mrgreen:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!