Petition For Open Carry At RNC

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

djthomas

Re: Petition For Open Carry At RNC

Post by djthomas »

18M_RWR wrote:I was listening to Corby show on AM610 yesterday and a guy called in to the show to say he has a CHL and is allowed to conceal carry while he attends events at Quicken Loans arena. According to this guy on the bottom of the signs prohibiting firearms and other weapons it says unless have permission or something (I don't remember his exact words). He said all he had to do was send them a letter with his reason why he needs to be armed. His reason was he has a valid CHL and rather than locking his firearm in his car parked in Quicken Loan parking where it can be stolen by someone in the neighborhood; he felt keeping it on his person was safer and allows him to protect himself when leaving the arena. They granted him permission and he has to enter the arena at a specific door but is allowed to carry concealed.
I'm calling shenanigans on that. He is correct about the wording on the signs. But I can also say that the NBA ratcheted down the arena security guidelines a few years ago. NBA arenas must screen fans (though the Q has for at least 10 years) and the only persons allowed to carry are credentialed law enforcement from approved agencies. Arenas have the option to allow off duty carry but they have to implement certain procedures to do so. Always using a specific entrance is not one of those, nor would that make sense given what the check in and validation procedures are.

There's a lot more that I can't share for obvious reasons, but knowing what I know that guy's story is highly unlikely.
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

Brian D. wrote:Did the caller sound like Jon Lovitz, in character as "The Liar" from Saturday Night Live?
Yeah yeah that's the guy and he takes his wife Morgan Fairchild with him, yeah that's the ticket. :lol:
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

Brian D. wrote:Did the caller sound like Jon Lovitz, in character as "The Liar" from Saturday Night Live?
Didn't sound at all like Jon Lovitz as I remember.... might need to refer to the podcast tho for verification....
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

djthomas wrote:I'm calling shenanigans on that. He is correct about the wording on the signs. But I can also say that the NBA ratcheted down the arena security guidelines a few years ago. NBA arenas must screen fans (though the Q has for at least 10 years) and the only persons allowed to carry are credentialed law enforcement from approved agencies. Arenas have the option to allow off duty carry but they have to implement certain procedures to do so. Always using a specific entrance is not one of those, nor would that make sense given what the check in and validation procedures are.

There's a lot more that I can't share for obvious reasons, but knowing what I know that guy's story is highly unlikely.
Well if you can't trust a random person who calls into a radio show just what can you trust these days...heck I was informed today that "some or most Kroger stores" have wine and beer tastings.... :mrgreen:

As I remember he did not say NBA games. Not doubting anything you've said as it is obvious you have first hand knowledge of things.

Honestly I think the petition was started by someone or a group that only wants to use it negatively against gun rights groups.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

djthomas wrote:
18M_RWR wrote:I was listening to Corby show on AM610 yesterday and a guy called in to the show to say he has a CHL and is allowed to conceal carry while he attends events at Quicken Loans arena. According to this guy on the bottom of the signs prohibiting firearms and other weapons it says unless have permission or something (I don't remember his exact words). He said all he had to do was send them a letter with his reason why he needs to be armed. His reason was he has a valid CHL and rather than locking his firearm in his car parked in Quicken Loan parking where it can be stolen by someone in the neighborhood; he felt keeping it on his person was safer and allows him to protect himself when leaving the arena. They granted him permission and he has to enter the arena at a specific door but is allowed to carry concealed.
I'm calling shenanigans on that. He is correct about the wording on the signs. But I can also say that the NBA ratcheted down the arena security guidelines a few years ago. NBA arenas must screen fans (though the Q has for at least 10 years) and the only persons allowed to carry are credentialed law enforcement from approved agencies. Arenas have the option to allow off duty carry but they have to implement certain procedures to do so. Always using a specific entrance is not one of those, nor would that make sense given what the check in and validation procedures are.

Friend of mine has a loge at The Q. We checked into carrying a long time ago. NO carry except for police and security details. NO special entrances for CHL's. Signs CANNOT be interpreted to allow CHL carry.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

18M_RWR wrote:Well if you can't trust a random person who calls into a radio show just what can you trust these days...heck I was informed today that "some or most Kroger stores" have wine and beer tastings....
Actually what was said is that "some if not most Kroger stores" have wine and beer tastings, not that most do.

Regardless, that radio caller story set off my BS detector as well.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

18M_RWR wrote:Well if you can't trust a random person who calls into a radio show just what can you trust these days..
I can't decide if it's one step above, or one step below, trusting random people on the Internet :mrgreen:
18M_RWR wrote:As I remember he did not say NBA games.
That may be true as far as that goes but to their credit they realized that when you're dealing with hundreds employees in high turnover positions like security guards consistency is key. So they set one policy based on the NBA guidelines since that's the heaviest single user of the facility, and apply it to every event. When we took the kiddo and friends to see Disney on Ice a few years ago all the usual procedures applied. About the only thing that varies from event to event is whether cameras are allowed and that's up to the event promoter.

Granted I've never been down for any of those huge Women of Faith gatherings they have from time to time so maybe they don't staff the metal detectors for those events.
rouger10

Post by rouger10 »

I took the family to a Monsters game last Friday night at the "Q".
Security was pretty tight. Metal detectors, wands, bags searched, armed police at every entrance along with security guards.
I too, am calling BS on the CC at the Q.
I've even been told by a cop friend of mine that they wouldn't let him in with his off duty gun.

Roger
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

For example, the Second Amendment denies the power to the federal government to infringe the right to keep and bear arms. The right exists against the government only, and not private individuals. It prevents government from imposing a prior restraint on the keeping and bearing of arms (such as a permit requirement) or from criminalizing the mere keeping and bearing of arms. But among private individuals, the right is limited by the rights of others. If a movie-theater owner wishes to exclude persons who carry weapons, his property rights entitle him to do so, and if you carry in violation of his rights, you are trespassing and the government can punish you for violating his property rights.
So...the private owners of "the Q" (if there are any and it's not owned by the city)...can prohibit...but Secret Service would be in direct violation of 2A...and a direct indication of our impotence.
With the foregoing, then, I hope to have provided some basis for advancing the following claim: A right, to be a right, must be absolute, that is, subject to no exceptions, and held or respected as an end in itself, not as a means to some other end. Otherwise, it does not stand outside and above the law, but becomes subject to it, a mere creature of legislative action, majority rule, and the peripatetic opinions of judges. If the right is not absolute, you absolutely have no right.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798