Are You Breaking the Law IF

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Are You Breaking the Law IF

Post by 18M_RWR »

Not sure this is the right place to ask this question so please move it if needed.

So here is my question.
If a person routinely OCs but does not have a CHL so they transport a firearm properly (firearm unloaded/chamber empty in lock box & ammunition in console) and find they must go to a school for their work are they breaking the law by just having the firearm in their vehicle while on school grounds? Then along the same line if you find yourself downtown Columbus and want to park in the underground parking garage of the State House could you park there with your firearm transported like described above without breaking the law?
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
pirateguy191

Re: Are You Breaking the Law IF

Post by pirateguy191 »

K-12 school would be illegal. Statehouse garage I believe is legal. IANAL
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pirateguy191 wrote:K-12 school would be illegal. Statehouse garage I believe is legal. IANAL
My understanding matches yours.

Also, neither situation would change if you have a CHL.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

Thanks for affirming how I read the statutes.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer