Open Carry Virgin.....

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Re: Open Carry Virgin.....

Postby 3FULLMAGS+1 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:18 pm

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:...am I missing something?


Nah. I'm just stirring the pot. :twisted:



Is it done yet....how much do you have....can I come over......er......down? :wink:
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 7:01 pm
Location: S.W. corner of stark. co.

Re: Open Carry Virgin.....

Postby MyWifeSaidYes » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:26 pm

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Nah. I'm just stirring the pot. :twisted:

pirateguy191 wrote:Pot is illegal in Ohio. Please be careful.

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Is it done yet....how much do you have....can I come over......er......down? :wink:



You guys are bad.
MyWifeSaidYes
User avatar
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 5397
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:59 pm
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Open Carry Virgin.....

Postby Chuck » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:14 am

Well, THAT took a turn,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
User avatar
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director
 
Posts: 4366
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:06 am
Location: Licking County

Re: Open Carry Virgin.....

Postby Bama.45 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:05 am

JustaShooter wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:I agree. Why do you think LEO open carry?.. I believe open carrying is a deterrent.

Although I agree OC can be a deterrent, and I OC often, LEO open carry not as a deterrent but because 1: they are already identified as LEO by virtue of wearing the uniform and 2: faster access. Notice that plain clothes LEO do *not* OC...



I see your point and they are valid. But I still think it is a deterrent on the part of police carrying their firearms openly. Lets face it the some folks don't respect any type of uniform.. But even stupid people recognize and respect the sight of something that could ventilate them. Unless it is a very stupid person, one under the influence of a drug or alcohol or has mental issues, how many cops on duty so you hear about getting mugged or robbed?.. I don't think its the uniform that keeps this from happening.

As for plain clothes not ocing, they would look out of place if they were open carrying. When most criminals have to conceal or think open carry is illegal and would draw the attention of 5-0.. I have seen plain clothes detectives open carrying though.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen




U.S. Marines 01-07



~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Bama.45
 
Posts: 3019
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 4:32 pm
Location: Warren county

Re: Open Carry Virgin.....

Postby 3FULLMAGS+1 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:38 pm

Bama.45 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:I agree. Why do you think LEO open carry?.. I believe open carrying is a deterrent.

Although I agree OC can be a deterrent, and I OC often, LEO open carry not as a deterrent but because 1: they are already identified as LEO by virtue of wearing the uniform and 2: faster access. Notice that plain clothes LEO do *not* OC...



I see your point and they are valid. But I still think it is a deterrent on the part of police carrying their firearms openly. Lets face it the some folks don't respect any type of uniform.. But even stupid people recognize and respect the sight of something that could ventilate them. Unless it is a very stupid person, one under the influence of a drug or alcohol or has mental issues, how many cops on duty so you hear about getting mugged or robbed?.. I don't think its the uniform that keeps this from happening.

As for plain clothes not ocing, they would look out of place if they were open carrying. When most criminals have to conceal or think open carry is illegal and would draw the attention of 5-0.. I have seen plain clothes detectives open carrying though.


Wait just a minute......those cops in plain clothes, OC"ing, would look out of place? They would....well..... look just like us. Are you saying WE , ordinary folk, look out of place when WE OC.......just ask'in? :lol: :wink:
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 7:01 pm
Location: S.W. corner of stark. co.

Re: Open Carry Virgin.....

Postby Bama.45 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:50 pm

To the average sheople yep.. Because a large majority think open carrying is illegal due to misinformation... And most of the time plain clothes LEO are trying to blend into the environment they are operating in. Personally, I don't think we look out of place open carrying, but look at the MWAG calls that come in from the uneducated public.


I would love to see the days return like in the old west, when most everyone had a six shooter strapped to their hip and a rifle strapped to their horse. Because as I said before it takes a special kind of stupid or drug induced stupidity for someone to attack someone when they see the person is armed.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen




U.S. Marines 01-07



~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Bama.45
 
Posts: 3019
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 4:32 pm
Location: Warren county

Re: Open Carry Virgin.....

Postby M-Quigley » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:23 pm

This was before CHL was enacted in Ohio, but on the very few occasions that I OC'd while plainclothes, I never had a MWAG call on me. On those occasions though my badge was on my belt close to the gun instead of in a badge wallet. The businesses that I patronized knew me anyway. The only person that seemed to notice was some little kid who was tapping his mothers leg, and she told him "it's okay, that man is a police officer. He protects us from bad guys." I'm pretty sure if I hadn't had the badge on my belt or hadn't been known someone would've called on me, regardless of the law. It was a different time back then.
M-Quigley
 
Posts: 2705
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Western Ohio

Re: Open Carry Virgin.....

Postby 18M_RWR » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:41 pm

As I was leaving Golden Coral in Lancaster last night a guy (mid 30s I'd guess) stopped me to ask some questions about retention while OC. He said his mother had just gotten her CHL and carries in her purse mostly. He went on to say he doesn't know much about hand guns and had just wondered; since he saw me he thought he would ask. He thought it was cool to see someone OC.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
User avatar
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:02 am
Location: Pickaway County

Re: Open Carry Virgin.....

Postby Bama.45 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:17 am

18M_RWR wrote:As I was leaving Golden Coral in Lancaster last night a guy (mid 30s I'd guess) stopped me to ask some questions about retention while OC. He said his mother had just gotten her CHL and carries in her purse mostly. He went on to say he doesn't know much about hand guns and had just wondered; since he saw me he thought he would ask. He thought it was cool to see someone OC.



I'm glad you had a positive experience with that person. But, don't be surprised or caught off guard by an anti should you stumble across one. I crossed paths with one a couple of months ago, they didn't see me carrying but butted into a conversation that me and another person was having. I simply rebutted their statement and made them stutter and walk off.. But, I didn't lose my cool about it... I try to remember that I represent all CHL holders to people I cross paths with. I don't sugar coat or pay lip service to anyone, but I do try to make my opinions and the facts known firmly but with class.

Besides, you never know who you might persuade or open their eyes up and make them research for themselves and add one more good guy/gal to our numbers.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen




U.S. Marines 01-07



~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Bama.45
 
Posts: 3019
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 4:32 pm
Location: Warren county

Re: Open Carry Virgin.....

Postby 18M_RWR » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:44 pm

Bama.45 wrote:I'm glad you had a positive experience with that person. But, don't be surprised or caught off guard by an anti should you stumble across one. I crossed paths with one a couple of months ago, they didn't see me carrying but butted into a conversation that me and another person was having. I simply rebutted their statement and made them stutter and walk off.. But, I didn't lose my cool about it... I try to remember that I represent all CHL holders to people I cross paths with. I don't sugar coat or pay lip service to anyone, but I do try to make my opinions and the facts known firmly but with class.

Besides, you never know who you might persuade or open their eyes up and make them research for themselves and add one more good guy/gal to our numbers.


This was my first encounter with someone asking/talking to me while I was OC and I'm glad it was a positive experience too. I am not sure that I was actually prepared but my first thought as he began to speak was "he is going be an anti-gunner" but after 10-15 seconds I could tell it was going to be a positive experience. I hope when I encounter an anti-gunner I will be open their eyes to where they will eventually become one more good guy/gal to our numbers.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
User avatar
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:02 am
Location: Pickaway County

Re: Open Carry Virgin.....

Postby Bama.45 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:41 am

18M_RWR wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:I'm glad you had a positive experience with that person. But, don't be surprised or caught off guard by an anti should you stumble across one. I crossed paths with one a couple of months ago, they didn't see me carrying but butted into a conversation that me and another person was having. I simply rebutted their statement and made them stutter and walk off.. But, I didn't lose my cool about it... I try to remember that I represent all CHL holders to people I cross paths with. I don't sugar coat or pay lip service to anyone, but I do try to make my opinions and the facts known firmly but with class.

Besides, you never know who you might persuade or open their eyes up and make them research for themselves and add one more good guy/gal to our numbers.


This was my first encounter with someone asking/talking to me while I was OC and I'm glad it was a positive experience too. I am not sure that I was actually prepared but my first thought as he began to speak was "he is going be an anti-gunner" but after 10-15 seconds I could tell it was going to be a positive experience. I hope when I encounter an anti-gunner I will be open their eyes to where they will eventually become one more good guy/gal to our numbers.



All you can do is present the facts and hope for the best.. Although most anti gunners don't like those pesky facts. They like things factual or not that make them feel warm and fuzzy inside.. Usually some life changing event happens to show them the error of their thinking.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen




U.S. Marines 01-07



~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Bama.45
 
Posts: 3019
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 4:32 pm
Location: Warren county

Re: Open Carry Virgin.....

Postby 3FULLMAGS+1 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:25 am

Bama.45 wrote:
18M_RWR wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:I'm glad you had a positive experience with that person. But, don't be surprised or caught off guard by an anti should you stumble across one. I crossed paths with one a couple of months ago, they didn't see me carrying but butted into a conversation that me and another person was having. I simply rebutted their statement and made them stutter and walk off.. But, I didn't lose my cool about it... I try to remember that I represent all CHL holders to people I cross paths with. I don't sugar coat or pay lip service to anyone, but I do try to make my opinions and the facts known firmly but with class.

Besides, you never know who you might persuade or open their eyes up and make them research for themselves and add one more good guy/gal to our numbers.


This was my first encounter with someone asking/talking to me while I was OC and I'm glad it was a positive experience too. I am not sure that I was actually prepared but my first thought as he began to speak was "he is going be an anti-gunner" but after 10-15 seconds I could tell it was going to be a positive experience. I hope when I encounter an anti-gunner I will be open their eyes to where they will eventually become one more good guy/gal to our numbers.



All you can do is present the facts and hope for the best.. Although most anti gunners don't like those pesky facts. They like things factual or not that make them feel warm and fuzzy inside.. Usually some life changing event happens to show them the error of their thinking.


^^^^^Agree, that's about all you can do and hope for the best....then there are those horses that just won't drink and bury their heads even deeper , walking away and thinking they won the argument.. :lol:
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 7:01 pm
Location: S.W. corner of stark. co.

Re: Open Carry Virgin.....

Postby Bama.45 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:37 pm

I will ad though not to come across as combative.. Stand firm, but don't get frustrated and lose your cool.. You may not accomplish anything. But then again you may plant a seed to make them more curious and them start doing their own research.. Most anti's I have came across have been raised anti gun and a lot of it is due to irrational fear that has been propagandized by media... Some people will try to save face so they won't concede to your facts at that time. But it will have opened a door.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen




U.S. Marines 01-07



~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Bama.45
 
Posts: 3019
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 4:32 pm
Location: Warren county

Re: Open Carry Virgin.....

Postby 3FULLMAGS+1 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:20 pm

Bama.45 wrote:I will ad though not to come across as combative.. Stand firm, but don't get frustrated and lose your cool.. You may not accomplish anything. But then again you may plant a seed to make them more curious and them start doing their own research.. Most anti's I have came across have been raised anti gun and a lot of it is due to irrational fear that has been propagandized by media... Some people will try to save face so they won't concede to your facts at that time. But it will have opened a door.


Well said !


I would be great to read some of these peoples minds sometimes, wouldn't it......though there might not be much to read at times!
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 7:01 pm
Location: S.W. corner of stark. co.

Re: Open Carry Virgin.....

Postby Bama.45 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:37 pm

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:I will ad though not to come across as combative.. Stand firm, but don't get frustrated and lose your cool.. You may not accomplish anything. But then again you may plant a seed to make them more curious and them start doing their own research.. Most anti's I have came across have been raised anti gun and a lot of it is due to irrational fear that has been propagandized by media... Some people will try to save face so they won't concede to your facts at that time. But it will have opened a door.


Well said !


I would be great to read some of these peoples minds sometimes, wouldn't it......though there might not be much to read at times!



I look at a lot of liberals on a lot of different issues and wonder how anyone with half a brain could arrive at the conclusions that they do. :lol:
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen




U.S. Marines 01-07



~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Bama.45
 
Posts: 3019
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 4:32 pm
Location: Warren county

PreviousNext

Return to Ohio Open Carry Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests