Open Carry in Vances (Obetz) Store

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Open Carry in Vances (Obetz) Store

Post by 18M_RWR »

I stopped into the Vances store in Obetz tonight to continue my quest to find my CCW and talked to a guy who was open carrying. I asked him if open carry often and he said all the time. His holster looked as if it has some good miles on it. I also asked if he get hassled very much and he said not that often.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
BB62

Re: Open Carry in Vances (Obetz) Store

Post by BB62 »

Great!
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

18M_RWR wrote:I stopped into the Vances store in Obetz tonight to continue my quest to find my CCW ...
What, or what qualities, are you looking for?
MyWifeSaidYes
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:What, or what qualities, are you looking for?
I actually made a choice that night and walked out of Vances with a Walthers PPS M2 9mm.
I was looking for a single stack 9mm and had shot a Shield9 and Glock43 several times at my range. That night I was comparing Springfield's XDS-9 to Walther's PPS M2-9.
I am now considering a Springfield XD Mod2 in 9mm as a sub-compact carry.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
docachna

Post by docachna »

18M_RWR wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:What, or what qualities, are you looking for?
I actually made a choice that night and walked out of Vances with a Walthers PPS M2 9mm.
I was looking for a single stack 9mm and had shot a Shield9 and Glock43 several times at my range. That night I was comparing Springfield's XDS-9 to Walther's PPS M2-9.
I am now considering a Springfield XD Mod2 in 9mm as a sub-compact carry.
My wife settled on a PPS as her carry weapon. I love it myself, as long as it has the mag extender on it. Only like an inch thick, and LOTS less bulky to carry than my Glock Model 38. Not a 9mil fan, but if I've gotta carry one, I really like the PPS.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

docachna wrote:My wife settled on a PPS as her carry weapon. I love it myself, as long as it has the mag extender on it. Only like an inch thick, and LOTS less bulky to carry than my Glock Model 38. Not a 9mil fan, but if I've gotta carry one, I really like the PPS.
I really like my PPS M2, it shoots really well can double tap easily. And your right the 7round magazine gives your pinky a place. The flush 6round magazine it ends up underneath. They make a 8round magazine for it Walthers is way behind on producing them.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
justherenow

Post by justherenow »

I have only been in there a handful of times but noticed most of the gun counter employees are carrying mags but no firearms. Asked one about it and he said the owner wants them to carry the mags of they have a weapon there but wont allow them to carry the firearm.

I have seen several open carriers there including one tonight. He was looking at a MP45 and they actually let him remove his firearm from the holster, unload it just so he could see if the new MP would fit in his holster. I was shocked they would allow him to remove his firearm from a holster in store during business hours at the gun counter.
--------------------------
G;ock 32 .357sig/Sig Saur 3in 1911 .45acp
Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
PA Non-Res 10/12/2010
Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

I was in Vances earlier tonight OC myself. Perused the gun counter but wasn't there to buy a firearm this time. I can't believe they allowed anyone to remove their carry weapon let alone unload it to see if a potential purchase firearm would fit in their holster. :shock:
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
justherenow

Post by justherenow »

18M_RWR wrote:I was in Vances earlier tonight OC myself. Perused the gun counter but wasn't there to buy a firearm this time. I can't believe they allowed anyone to remove their carry weapon let alone unload it to see if a potential purchase firearm would fit in their holster. :shock:
Yeah, totally shocked me. I went in to look at another pistol. The guy pulled it out, ejected the mag, ejected the chambered round and placed it on the counter, compared size of his and the one he was looking at and then did a holster test. He was open carrying, looked like a Blackhawk Serpa holster and MP 45 4in.
Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
PA Non-Res 10/12/2010
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I doubt the person was allowed to pull their gun...there's just no easy way to stop someone from doing so.

If the counter salesperson DID actually tell the person to draw and unload, you may want to let management know.

For those that do unload at the counter, it should be noted that they will (or are supposed to) ask you to wait until you get outside to reload.
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Assuming a customer brings in the same model/size as what we sell, as a gun store worker I'd rather let the guy try that holster with OUR pistol, not draw/handle/unload his in the middle of the place.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
justherenow

Post by justherenow »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I doubt the person was allowed to pull their gun...there's just no easy way to stop someone from doing so.

If the counter salesperson DID actually tell the person to draw and unload, you may want to let management know.

For those that do unload at the counter, it should be noted that they will (or are supposed to) ask you to wait until you get outside to reload.
I assure you they told him to. He was standing next to me, I was a bit nervous but the guy did do it in a safe manner, pistol pointing down. I like what Cabellas does with their discharge shoot that they place the muzzle in while they verify a firearm is unloaded.

Vances Hebron has a sign up not to remove a pistol from the holster and to use their weapon, Obetz does not have such sign.
Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
PA Non-Res 10/12/2010
justherenow

Post by justherenow »

Brian D. wrote:Assuming a customer brings in the same model/size as what we sell, as a gun store worker I'd rather let the guy try that holster with OUR pistol, not draw/handle/unload his in the middle of the place.
Thats how it is at Vances in Hebron.
Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
PA Non-Res 10/12/2010