CT State attorneys guide on how to harrass open carriers

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

CT State attorneys guide on how to harrass open carriers

Post by Bruenor »

I Know this forum is for Ohio open carry, but I thought you might appreciate picking apart this document.

http://ctcarry.com/Document/Download/49 ... 4b3cbb62d3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The memo is a five-page guide released by Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Timothy Sugrue to the Chief State’s Attorney’s Office. As explained by Connecticut Carry, the document concedes the unconcealed carry of a firearm with a valid permit in the state is lawful and that police cannot stop someone performing such open carry unless they have probable cause.

Then proceeds to outline just what an officer can and cannot do other than that.
“The State’s Attorney’s Office has made it clear that they will put their collectivist politics over the need for them to perform their job as advocates of the law,” says Connecticut Carry President Rich Burgess in a statement. “Mentioning mass shootings and the fear-based political climates that their collectivist ilk have manufactured to describe how police should interact with law abiding members of the population is the height of propaganda.”
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: CT State attorneys guide on how to harrass open carriers

Post by WY_Not »

That person is exactly why tar and feathers were invented.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
docachna

Post by docachna »

Is there a CT statutory prohibition against deliberately interfering with the civil rights of a citizen ? Seems to me this propaganda is encouraging LEO to do precisely that.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

What's wrong with the document?

It appears to give officers the guidelines they need when contacting or seizing an OC'er.

No, I would prefer that this document not make it into the hands of every cop in the field, but it is FAR better than the cops guessing...and guessing wrong.

Remember, those folks can only open carry WITH a permit, and this document SPELLS OUT that the police can NOT stop an OC'er just to see if they have a permit.

That's huge.

Yes, the document pushes the 'disorderly conduct' idea pretty hard, but their statute requires 'intent'.

These are just growing pains that the state and its citizens will have to deal with.
MyWifeSaidYes
BobK

Post by BobK »

The story is as old as Aesop's "The Scorpion and the Frog".

No surprises in that document. At least this froggie was smart enough to leave CT and move back to OH 39 years ago because I wasn't going to get fooled by any hitchhiking scorpions.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
eye95
*** Banned ***

Post by eye95 »

BobK wrote:The story is as old as Aesop's "The Scorpion and the Frog".

No surprises in that document. At least this froggie was smart enough to leave CT and move back to OH 39 years ago because I wasn't going to get fooled by any hitchhiking scorpions.
Welcome back to the US.
Be a Madisonian.

It finally happened. I have now been accused on OFCC of both being a cop-hater and then a cop-lover! Therefore, anyone making either accusation must not be paying attention.
keepitsimple
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by keepitsimple »

"The law says you can't just stop someone openly carrying a hangun and ask them to produce a permit. However, utilizing some extremely broad interpretations of currently existing laws I'm going to outline exactly how you can still harass them in a legal manner."

When the top LEOs have to bend and flex this much to subvert the obvious intention of a law (in this case, not harassing citizens openly carrying firearms), they no longer belong in the business of public service.
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
Alexander Hamilton
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

keepitsimple wrote:...
When the top LEOs have to bend and flex this much to subvert the obvious intention of a law (in this case, not harassing citizens openly carrying firearms), they no longer belong in the business of public service.
Absolutely.
MyWifeSaidYes
eye95
*** Banned ***

Post by eye95 »

keepitsimple wrote:"The law says you can't just stop someone openly carrying a hangun and ask them to produce a permit. However, utilizing some extremely broad interpretations of currently existing laws I'm going to outline exactly how you can still harass them in a legal manner."

Nailed it.
Be a Madisonian.

It finally happened. I have now been accused on OFCC of both being a cop-hater and then a cop-lover! Therefore, anyone making either accusation must not be paying attention.