Three points from firing

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JohnZ

Re: Three points from firing

Post by JohnZ »

I need to hang out here more lol
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Yes, you should.

So should your buddy.

If the cops in Columbus, Ohio won't arrest this guy for openly carrying a Ruger LCP taped to the side of his head, I doubt there are any restrictions on the "how" of open carry. :wink:

MyWifeSaidYes
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

pirateguy191 wrote:
JohnZ wrote:A loaded magazine inside the car apart from the gun is still considered a loaded gun, right? And I assume it's the same thing if you have a holstered gun that's unloaded and a full mag in your pocket.
A loaded magazine is no longer a loaded gun. With your CHL, carry any way you please. Without a CHL, the magazine may be loaded but the empty gun and mag have to be in two separate closed containers.
It would be wise to specify that this applies to handguns only. Even if you have a CHL, a loaded magazine cannot be inserted into a long gun.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
eye95
*** Banned ***

Post by eye95 »

Werz wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:
JohnZ wrote:A loaded magazine inside the car apart from the gun is still considered a loaded gun, right? And I assume it's the same thing if you have a holstered gun that's unloaded and a full mag in your pocket.
A loaded magazine is no longer a loaded gun. With your CHL, carry any way you please. Without a CHL, the magazine may be loaded but the empty gun and mag have to be in two separate closed containers.
It would be wise to specify that this applies to handguns only. Even if you have a CHL, a loaded magazine cannot be inserted into a long gun.
One more example that the licensing structure is an infringement on the Right. It takes what is a Natural Right, and turns it into a government granted (and therefore, possibly on a whim, a government denied) privilege.
Be a Madisonian.

It finally happened. I have now been accused on OFCC of both being a cop-hater and then a cop-lover! Therefore, anyone making either accusation must not be paying attention.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

eye95 wrote:One more example that the licensing structure is an infringement on the Right. It takes what is a Natural Right, and turns it into a government granted (and therefore, possibly on a whim, a government denied) privilege.
So, how do we fix that?

Mind you, I'm not against continually complaining about it but you won't find anyone here that disagrees with you. You are truly preaching to the choir.

We have worked with the legislators we have and made great strides forward...slowly.

We have worked to change the legislators that work against us, but that's been an uphill battle, especially around the liberal strongholds known as 'major cities'.

Even if we got everything we wanted, one single session of a liberal majority in the Ohio General Assembly and we would be right back to where we are...probably worse.

If anyone has ideas for making changes, let's start a new topic and discuss them.
MyWifeSaidYes
eye95
*** Banned ***

Post by eye95 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
eye95 wrote:One more example that the licensing structure is an infringement on the Right. It takes what is a Natural Right, and turns it into a government granted (and therefore, possibly on a whim, a government denied) privilege.
So, how do we fix that?

Mind you, I'm not against continually complaining about it but you won't find anyone here that disagrees with you. You are truly preaching to the choir.

We have worked with the legislators we have and made great strides forward...slowly.

We have worked to change the legislators that work against us, but that's been an uphill battle, especially around the liberal strongholds known as 'major cities'.

Even if we got everything we wanted, one single session of a liberal majority in the Ohio General Assembly and we would be right back to where we are...probably worse.

If anyone has ideas for making changes, let's start a new topic and discuss them.
By advocating for the repeal of laws, not for the addition of new ones that, while they may "allow" rights-like behaviors, actually expand governmental control over what should be Rights.
Be a Madisonian.

It finally happened. I have now been accused on OFCC of both being a cop-hater and then a cop-lover! Therefore, anyone making either accusation must not be paying attention.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:If anyone has ideas for making changes, let's start a new topic and discuss them.
I allowed that this was the correct approach to discussing this topic some time ago in another thread. One wonders why this approach hasn't been adopted.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

eye95 wrote:
Werz wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:A loaded magazine is no longer a loaded gun. With your CHL, carry any way you please. Without a CHL, the magazine may be loaded but the empty gun and mag have to be in two separate closed containers.
One more example that the licensing structure is an infringement on the Right. It takes what is a Natural Right, and turns it into a government granted (and therefore, possibly on a whim, a government denied) privilege.
In this case, the infringement on the right isn't the licensing structure, but the underlying law that prohibits loaded firearms in the vehicle in the first place. That is where the problem lies, and where effort needs to be expended, not in dismantling the licensing structure. But, that is a topic for another thread, isn't it?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

A thread about infringement and what to do about it?

How about this one: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=86655" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
eye95
*** Banned ***

Post by eye95 »

JustaShooter wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Werz wrote:It would be wise to specify that this applies to handguns only. Even if you have a CHL, a loaded magazine cannot be inserted into a long gun.
In this case, the infringement on the right isn't the licensing structure, but the underlying law that prohibits loaded firearms in the vehicle in the first place. That is where the problem lies, and where effort needs to be expended, not in dismantling the licensing structure. But, that is a topic for another thread, isn't it?
The licensing structure allows the carry of a loaded handgun in a car but not the carry of a loaded long gun. So, yes, it is an example of the licensing structure.

When you buy into licensing, you agree that carry is not a Right.
Be a Madisonian.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

eye95 wrote:
The licensing structure allows the carry of a loaded handgun in a car but not the carry of a loaded long gun. So, yes, it is an example of the licensing structure.

Yes, and before we got loaded handgun carry in cars (for CHL holders) legalized, NO such loaded carry existed in Ohio, at least not in the current or last century, maybe. Getting that done wasn't a light lift with the Ohio General Assembly.

Getting them to just repeal several such laws? I don't think so, unless we start electing ALL our state representatives and senators from the membership of BFA and OFCC.

You must have met a few of the statehouse folks selected from urban precincts. You think there's some strict constitutionalists in their districts just chomping at the bit to oust them in the next election? We're stuck with a certain minimum number of those lefties, just the way it is in states with big cities.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
eye95
*** Banned ***

Post by eye95 »

Brian D. wrote:
eye95 wrote:

Yes, and before we got loaded handgun carry in cars (for CHL holders) legalized, NO such loaded carry existed in Ohio, at least not in the current or last century, maybe. Getting that done wasn't a light lift with the Ohio General Assembly.

Getting them to just repeal several such laws? I don't think so, unless we start electing ALL our state representatives and senators from the membership of BFA and OFCC.

You must have met a few of the statehouse folks selected from urban precincts. You think there's some strict constitutionalists in their districts just chomping at the bit to oust them in the next election? We're stuck with a certain minimum number of those lefties, just the way it is in states with big cities.
I don't care a whit if you don't think it can be done. It is the RIGHT thing to fight for.

I am glad the Founders didn't stop because some thought they were attempting the impossible.
Be a Madisonian.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Heavy lifting at the Statehouse = donation dollars. I don't care a whit how "right" our cause is, you want them to listen they got to be paid.

********************************************************************************
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

As I recall the Founders ended up shooting the people in charge to change THEIR minds. Well, the armed flunkies of those in charge.

eye95
*** Banned ***

Post by eye95 »

Brian D. wrote:As I recall the Founders ended up shooting the people in charge to change THEIR minds. Well, the armed flunkies of those in charge.
Yep. You start by working within the political system. However, when in the course of human events...

However, my point (maybe it was too subtle) was that a lot of people saying an effort to restore our Rights is impossible is a lousy reason to say we shouldn't be moving heaven and earth to achieve it.

We should be repealing infringements, not building structures that legitimize them.
Be a Madisonian.