"Outrage ensues" over long gun OCer in Akron

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BB62

An OC walk of a different color!

Post by BB62 »

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/akr ... e-1.647155" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Jaron Vogelsang was astounded on Saturday to see two men walking down West Market Street through Akron’s Highland Square neighborhood, with rifles strapped across their backs.

“Who are these guys? Are they legally allowed to do this? Were the guns legally purchased? Are they felons? Are they a threat? Why are they doing this?” asked Vogelsang, 32, who lives in Oakland, Calif., and was visiting his old neighborhood. “I am actually speechless. Honestly, I’m scared because I have no idea who they are. I’m calling the police.”

The angst felt by Vogelsang was the emotion that the Rev. Roderick Pounds wanted to elicit as he walked through the hub of the busy Highland Square neighborhood carrying a semi-automatic .22 Long Rifle. He called his walk a “social experiment” in response to a local activist’s recent displays highlighting open-carry gun rights..."
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
pirateguy191

Re: "Outrage ensues" over long gun OCer in Akron

Post by pirateguy191 »

We met and talked to the Rev. Roderick Pounds.....nice enough guy. He told us about this "experiment". I guess they can STFU now. Both white and black were treated fairly and the same.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

pirateguy191 wrote:We met and talked to the Rev. Roderick Pounds.....nice enough guy. He told us about this "experiment". I guess they can STFU now. Both white and black were treated fairly and the same.
Glad he was friendly and glad you represented us as "normal" folk. Just hope you are correct on the STFU thing. Sadly, once many of those acquire a drum they will continue to beat it, no matter what band is playing.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: An OC walk of a different color!

Post by CroManGun »

BB62 wrote:“Who are these guys? Are they legally allowed to do this? Were the guns legally purchased? Are they felons? Are they a threat? Why are they doing this?” asked Vogelsang, 32, who lives in Oakland, Calif., and was visiting his old neighborhood. “I am actually speechless. Honestly, I’m scared because I have no idea who they are. I’m calling the police.”
He should have remained speechless instead of removing any and all doubt about his stupidity.
He's obviously much safer back in Oakland, where only LEO is armed. :wink:
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
ppfd

Post by ppfd »

LOL that simp lives in Oakland and is worried about Akron? Such a clueless boy, see a gun and call 911 4 times. This fella has zero idea how many illegal guns are carried around him in Oakland.

I'm a little lost, a guy walks around with a rifle and stirs up the liberals, the preacher is trying to prove what by carrying a rifle?

I spent my first years growing up in Highland Square, was a neat part of the city.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

ppfd wrote:LOL that simp lives in Oakland and is worried about Akron? Such a clueless boy, see a gun and call 911 4 times. This fella has zero idea how many illegal guns are carried around him in Oakland.

I'm a little lost, a guy walks around with a rifle and stirs up the liberals, the preacher is trying to prove what by carrying a rifle?

I spent my first years growing up in Highland Square, was a neat part of the city.
The preacher was trying to see if a black man walking around with a rifle would be treated any differently than the white guy that did the same thing.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Not a very legitimate experiment though. If he really wanted to see if there was a difference based on race, he never would have notified the local LEOs first.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

WY_Not wrote:Not a very legitimate experiment though. If he really wanted to see if there was a difference based on race, he never would have notified the local LEOs first.
Exactly. He's brave, just not that brave. :wink:
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

BB62 wrote:
WY_Not wrote:Not a very legitimate experiment though. If he really wanted to see if there was a difference based on race, he never would have notified the local LEOs first.
Exactly. He's brave, just not that brave. :wink:
Hates the taste of asphalt? :shock:
Abandon ye all HOPE!
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I think there are two VERY valid points highlighted by this. First, OH respects the 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms. Second, given the Tamir Rice and Dayton Walmart incidents, one does wonder if blacks are treated differently. I think the African American community needs more education on firearms and firearms laws. There is not the responsible gun owning culture in the black community and in many ways these communities are the most in need of responsible gun owners. In many ways, the guy from Oakland highlights the problem. He was completely ignorant of the law and wanted/expected carrying a firearm to be a crime. Penetrating the black community is the most ripe area for advancement of pro-2a opinion. I have found from my black clients and friends that playing the racism card is quite effective in moving their opinions. Otis McDonald is a huge PR point (may he rest in peace) on this. It is true that gun control was a cornerstone of Jim Crow laws.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

catfish86 wrote:I think there are two VERY valid points highlighted by this. First, OH respects the 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms. Second, given the Tamir Rice and Dayton Walmart incidents, one does wonder if blacks are treated differently. I think the African American community needs more education on firearms and firearms laws. There is not the responsible gun owning culture in the black community and in many ways these communities are the most in need of responsible gun owners. In many ways, the guy from Oakland highlights the problem. He was completely ignorant of the law and wanted/expected carrying a firearm to be a crime. Penetrating the black community is the most ripe area for advancement of pro-2a opinion. I have found from my black clients and friends that playing the racism card is quite effective in moving their opinions. Otis McDonald is a huge PR point (may he rest in peace) on this. It is true that gun control was a cornerstone of Jim Crow laws.
I think you raise a good point, but you also raise a canard.

The canard: no OCer I know, black, white, or green with yellow polka dots, handles their firearm(s) as did Tamir Rice or John Crawford. (I don't wish to re-thrash those discussions, though)

The rest of your post I wholeheartedly agree with, especially about penetrating the black community for education about any number of RKBA-related matters. I have had VERY worthwhile conversations with black students as well as blacks I have met while conducting/being a part of various walks.

The level of misinformation, no information, and mistrust (some well earned) is staggering - and as you said, represents a huge opportunity.

Got Freedom?

catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Actually BB, your point on the Canard is very valid. They demonstrated their community's lack of understanding of handling firearms and education can make the black community safer in this way. I still think that there is some validity to the black MWAG being scarier than a white MWAG, but that also goes as much as the public is more used to the redneck having a gun and being harmless because there is a gun culture that does that. The only impression of a black MWAG is a gang member in a rap video. That should change.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

pirateguy191 wrote:We met and talked to the Rev. Roderick Pounds.....nice enough guy. He told us about this "experiment". I guess they can STFU now. Both white and black were treated fairly and the same.
Even if he wouldn't have been treated the same, that's not a problem with O.C. itself.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

catfish86 wrote:Actually BB, your point on the Canard is very valid. They demonstrated their community's lack of understanding of handling firearms and education can make the black community safer in this way. I still think that there is some validity to the black MWAG being scarier than a white MWAG, but that also goes as much as the public is more used to the redneck having a gun and being harmless because there is a gun culture that does that. The only impression of a black MWAG is a gang member in a rap video. That should change.
Agree 100%.

Got Freedom?

Glock513

Post by Glock513 »

I don't see the problem with the dude. His rifle was strapped on his back the entire time, and he didn't seem to be messing with it. And my G19 is ALWAYS on my hip, so what do I care! LOL. People need to chill the hell out! LOL. :D . Now, if he was walking around with his rifle in his hands, carrying it in ready position like he's looking for action, then I'd worry... but that's not what he did. The people that were complaining were most likely people who are simply scared of guns and ignorant of gun laws.
Joe, an American
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & CCW Instructor

"In times of peace I pray to God for peace. In times of war I pray to God for victory."