"Outrage ensues" over long gun OCer in Akron

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BB62

"Outrage ensues" over long gun OCer in Akron

Post by BB62 »

http://www.ohio.com/community/outrage-e ... n-1.644720" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The Akron Police Department was criticized at a community meeting Tuesday for its handling of a man seen around town on Monday carrying a rifle strapped to his back.

The topic dominated Akron Councilman Russ Neal’s monthly Ward 4 meeting at Lawton Street Community Center. Outcries arose from the crowd of about 70 people, the majority of whom were black.

The man with the rifle was white. He was identified by police as Daniel Kovacevic. He was also seen near schools and the University of Akron campus with the rifle.

Police said they approached Kovacevic, who told them it was his “God given right to bear arms.” They allowed him to continue on his way. ..."
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Tweed Ring

Re: "Outrage ensues" over long gun OCer in Akron

Post by Tweed Ring »

Well, it is his God given right...
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Nothing to stop the other members of the community from OCing their own firearms. I hope if any decide to do so they study up on the laws first to avoid what could be perceived as a double standard of enforcement.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

One particularly stupid individual is hoping that someone crazier than Mr. Kovacevic will take him out.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
BB62

Post by BB62 »

pirateguy191 wrote:One particularly stupid individual is hoping that someone crazier than Mr. Kovacevic will take him out.
So Mr. Kovacevic is crazy? Do you know the man?
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

BB62 wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:One particularly stupid individual is hoping that someone crazier than Mr. Kovacevic will take him out.
So Mr. Kovacevic is crazy? Do you know the man?
That was according to the stupid individual. Those aren't my words. Please re-read.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

“Tamir Rice was only 30 miles down the road from us and had a ‘fake’ gun and you saw how that turned out,” said Vell Rob in a comment on Ohio.com.
I think there's a little difference between a possible handgun in the hand and pointed in the direction of the police, as allegedly happened, and someone with a gun strapped on their back.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

I'm willing to bet when the police questioned the Akron man he didn't immediately zoom his hand to his waistband and pull out a handgun. Otherwise, there would have been another justifiable shoot, difference being this one would have been in Akron.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
BB62

Akron barbershop owner confronts man openly carrying gun

Post by BB62 »

http://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ss ... onfro.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The owner of an East Exchange Street barbershop unleashed a tirade Thursday against a man who has been carrying a gun around busy Akron streets, leading the rifleman to call police.

Akron has been abuzz with spottings of Daniel Kovacevic, 25, walking with a rifle on his back Monday near the University of Akron.

Akron is abuzz over a man carrying a rifle on his back through busy sections of the city Monday.

Deone Slater, owner of Kangaroo Kutz on East Exchange Street, did not to want to let Kovacevic in front of his shop Thursday morning. Kovacevic called police.

"He was a threat to my community," Slater said. "If I can prevent him from shooting up the city, I would. I won't condone it. Somebody's got to stand up." ...
I don't know the man, but if he's of sound mind and body, I believe there could be a real opportunity here for dialogue - beyond that in this video of (at least part of) the incident:

https://www.facebook.com/10000428053488 ... 912533288/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got Freedom?

ppfd

Post by ppfd »

Was going to post this.

Looks like the Akron Police, while they might not like OC'ing, follow the law.

The ramblings of the offended..... If your going to complain at least be coherent in your facts and statements. The rice boy was confronted by a police officer, not a white guy from Akron.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

I'm outraged over the people that are outraged over.... :?
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Informational walk in Akron on Sunday at 3:00pm.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1531430610513119/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BB62

Post by BB62 »

Open-carry gun proponents speak with critics in peaceful Akron meeting: http://www.ohio.com/business/jim-mackin ... g-1.645772#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Non-media video: https://www.facebook.com/10000428053488 ... 589094587/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got Freedom?

pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

^^^^ You can't really hear him but the guy with the American flag is pretty darn smart.

BB62

Post by BB62 »

pirateguy191 wrote:^^^^ You can't really hear him but the guy with the American flag is pretty darn smart.
He's just another one of those Open Carry troublemakers! :wink:

Got Freedom?