Lawsuit filed after Cincinnati O.C. arrest

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Lawsuit filed after Cincinnati O.C. arrest

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

cashman966 wrote:
How does it not apply? if privilege is revoked the element is met. When he entered he had privilege, when he was asked to leave he no longer had privilege to remain. What am I missing?
Dressler did not hear what the security guard said to him.

After that, the police were involved. No one asked Dressler to leave in the presence of the police.

Dressler left the store when he was told that there was a CPZ sign at the entry...and that was just so they could point out the sign to him.
MyWifeSaidYes
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Whether or not the defendant heard the order to leave the property is a legitimate matter for the trier of fact to determine. In this case after weighing all the evidence the judge found that the prosecution could not meet its burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt, so the charges were dismissed in the defendant's favor. That's good from a criminal perspective. However, just because he prevailed on that point in his criminal trial does not automatically translate to his civil rights having been violated.
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Dressler left the store when he was told that there was a CPZ sign at the entry...and that was just so they could point out the sign to him.
And that was after the police arrived, several minutes after allegedly first being told to leave. That's dangerously close to "There's no sign posted so go screw off." The longer one debates or delays after indications have been given that one is no longer welcome on the premises the harder it is to claim privilege to remain.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

BobK wrote:Although I believe Dressler was treated wrongfully and the lawsuit has merit, I'd also like to point out that the arrest report said he was "argumentative" with police and he endured a 20 month ordeal, risk of incarceration, and legal fees.

That is why my strategy if ever confronted with a similar situation is to state simply, "I apologize, I had no idea it was posted. I'll leave immediately."

Arguing that you have the right to be there seems like a strategy that rarely works. Trying to win a confrontation with a police officer is a losing proposition unless you really want to go to jail that evening.
As one who attended nearly every hearing over the 20 months, and who has read a lot of the filings, I can tell you that IMHO there are lots of lessons to be learned from an incident such as this; most of which are already widely known.

When you have a short of stature, heavily-tattooed security guard who thinks he's "The Man", a feisty, argumentative individual, who because of partial deafness did not hear the initial "order" of said guard, and whose conduct ticked off a badge-heavy cop and a judge - regardless of the quality of your defense and the inapplicability of the law, you're in for a prolonged fight, even though you might ultimately win your case.

Kroger, the prosecutor, and the judge had numerous opportunities to have the matter dropped or to drop the matter, but they chose not to. It was a travesty, and Mr. Dressler deserves all he can get from any parties who can be held responsible.

If you don't have an attorney friend, as well as the extraordinary ability to fight in an arena that most people don't stand a chance in, conduct yourself in a manner that minimizes your exposure.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

BB62 wrote:When you have a short of stature, heavily-tattooed security guard

What does his height, or his tattoos have to do with it?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Chuck wrote:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... %20complex" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Links are supposed to be accompanied by a brief summary so that people know what they are clicking on. --m380g
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

BB62 wrote:
Chuck wrote:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... %20complex" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's comments like that, that make people lose faith in what you say.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

BB62 wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Links are supposed to be accompanied by a brief summary so that people know what they are clicking on. --m380g
Kinda like why many antis say we all carry guns right? :roll:
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I've never held someone's height against them.

BB62 knows this.

:wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Evidently BB62 can't say the same

What's that called, being a heightist?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Chuck wrote:Evidently BB62 can't say the same

What's that called, being a heightist?

Vertical discrimination :lol:
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

BB62 wrote:

When you have a short of stature, heavily-tattooed security guard who thinks he's "The Man",

To be sure physical height and tattoos are irrelevant to the situation at hand. That said, when I read that description it instantly brought to mind several Richards I have known. That tells me something about the general tone of the encounter.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Right. I'm not saying that a "Napoleon complex" did not exist, just that Mr. Dressler is not so tall as to bring out such a complex in others.

This is different than if BB62 were involved...BB62 is so tall he grabs airplanes and writes his name in the sky with contrails !!

:mrgreen: :P

:roll: (No, I'm not rolling my eyes. I'm looking up to see the expression on BB62's face. :D )
MyWifeSaidYes
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Right. I'm not saying that a "Napoleon complex" did not exist, just that Mr. Dressler is not so tall as to bring out such a complex in others.
That's why I thought it was an odd comment. Mr. Dressler being somewhat diminutive himself, one would think that any such effect would be nullified.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Well, I tend to believe the idea of a "Napoleon complex" is just one example of compensating for being 'short' of something.

This particular security guard was 'short' of a firearm. I think THAT is what set off the crybaby Waterloo, I mean, waterworks.
MyWifeSaidYes
BB62

Post by BB62 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:...This particular security guard was 'short' of a firearm...
Actually, he was not.

Got Freedom?