OAG Law Enforcement Bulletin on Open Carry

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

OAG Law Enforcement Bulletin on Open Carry

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Medi ... -v-City-of" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Search and Seizure (Open Carry): Northrup v. City of Toledo Police Department

6/19/2015

Question: If someone is openly carrying a firearm, can an officer conduct a Terry stop and frisk and disarm the person?

Quick Answer: No, open carry is legal in Ohio and simply carrying a weapon openly is not sufficient reasonable suspicion to justify a Terry stop and frisk.
... Because Northrup’s Fourth Amendment right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures was violated, the Court allowed Northrup’s lawsuit to proceed. ...
MyWifeSaidYes
BobK

Re: OAG Law Enforcement Bulletin on Open Carry

Post by BobK »

There has been a lot of discussion about this very issue in Texas with people anticipating Open Carry becoming legal on 01/01/2016, and anticipating what the typical police response will be.

Of course, the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals does not cover Texas (we are in the 5th Circuit), and licensed open carry may still allow a Terry stop of open carriers since the act is illegal unless licensed.

However, I fully intend to open carry and if unduly inconvenienced by police will pursue proper resolution. I'll start with complaints and seeking re-training, but lawsuits are not off the table.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Day is just getting started and already two pieces of good news.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

BobK wrote:There has been a lot of discussion about this very issue in Texas with people anticipating Open Carry becoming legal on 01/01/2016, and anticipating what the typical police response will be.

Of course, the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals does not cover Texas (we are in the 5th Circuit), and licensed open carry may still allow a Terry stop of open carriers since the act is illegal unless licensed.

However, I fully intend to open carry and if unduly inconvenienced by police will pursue proper resolution. I'll start with complaints and seeking re-training, but lawsuits are not off the table.
Do they randomly stop cars to see if the driver is licensed?
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
BobK

Post by BobK »

schmieg wrote:Do they randomly stop cars to see if the driver is licensed?
That is certainly one of the strong arguments being discussed.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

schmieg wrote......."Do they randomly stop cars to see if the driver is licensed?"

Well may not be the same thing here , but do they stop CCer's? to see if they are licensed to do so down there since CC is legal w/ a lic? Who knows , someone "may" be "CCing" without a lic. too! Why ya just don't know who could be conceal'in w / out that thar lic....ya know..... lol !!!
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
cjah09

Post by cjah09 »

simply carrying a weapon openly is not sufficient reasonable suspicion to justify a Terry stop and frisk
Although it is legal to open carry in Ohio, and carrying a gun is not reason enough to search... Complaints from the general public do warrant the police to investigate. Most officers will simply ask a few questions and move on. But, as seen on youtube, individuals can create issues by having an attitude or refusing to cooperate with law enforcement. There are many many videos on youtube of individuals "exercising their right" to open carry. These individuals are looking for a response from the public and police. Once someone open carrying causes a scene, they create the "reasonable suspicion" for LEO to investigate.
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

cjah09 wrote:
simply carrying a weapon openly is not sufficient reasonable suspicion to justify a Terry stop and frisk
Although it is legal to open carry in Ohio, and carrying a gun is not reason enough to search... Complaints from the general public do warrant the police to investigate. Most officers will simply ask a few questions and move on. But, as seen on youtube, individuals can create issues by having an attitude or refusing to cooperate with law enforcement. There are many many videos on youtube of individuals "exercising their right" to open carry. These individuals are looking for a response from the public and police. Once someone open carrying causes a scene, they create the "reasonable suspicion" for LEO to investigate.

:roll:
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

cjah09 wrote:Although it is legal to open carry in Ohio, and carrying a gun is not reason enough to search... Complaints from the general public do warrant the police to investigate.
All true. It is the level of the "investigation" that becomes an issue.
cjah09 wrote:Most officers will simply ask a few questions and move on.
The police are certainly free to ask questions, but in Ohio, unless they suspect a citizen of a crime, the citizen has no duty to answer any questions. If they see the open carrier NOT committing any crimes, they are free to move on without asking any questions.
cjah09 wrote: But, as seen on youtube, individuals can create issues by having an attitude or refusing to cooperate with law enforcement.
Again, if I'm not doing anything wrong, why should I be bothered by law enforcement?
cjah09 wrote:There are many many videos on youtube of individuals "exercising their right" to open carry.

Yeah. So?
cjah09 wrote:These individuals are looking for a response from the public and police.
Sadly, this is true. Some of these folks are a-holes solely looking for a confrontation.
cjah09 wrote:Once someone open carrying causes a scene, they create the "reasonable suspicion" for LEO to investigate.
Not if it was the LEO that started the confrontation. And yes, the LEO stopping an open carrier IS starting a confrontation.
MyWifeSaidYes
cjah09

Post by cjah09 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
cjah09 wrote:Although it is legal to open carry in Ohio, and carrying a gun is not reason enough to search... Complaints from the general public do warrant the police to investigate.
All true. It is the level of the "investigation" that becomes an issue.
cjah09 wrote:Most officers will simply ask a few questions and move on.
The police are certainly free to ask questions, but in Ohio, unless they suspect a citizen of a crime, the citizen has no duty to answer any questions. If they see the open carrier NOT committing any crimes, they are free to move on without asking any questions.
cjah09 wrote: But, as seen on youtube, individuals can create issues by having an attitude or refusing to cooperate with law enforcement.
Again, if I'm not doing anything wrong, why should I be bothered by law enforcement?
cjah09 wrote:There are many many videos on youtube of individuals "exercising their right" to open carry.

Yeah. So?
cjah09 wrote:These individuals are looking for a response from the public and police.
Sadly, this is true. Some of these folks are a-holes solely looking for a confrontation.
cjah09 wrote:Once someone open carrying causes a scene, they create the "reasonable suspicion" for LEO to investigate.
Not if it was the LEO that started the confrontation. And yes, the LEO stopping an open carrier IS starting a confrontation.

All true. I think individuals on both sides can take things too far. Some LEOs overstep the boundaries and some citizens are looking for a response. I didn't mean to make it sound as if I think LEOs can do whatever they want.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

cjah09 wrote:All true. I think individuals on both sides can take things too far. Some LEOs overstep the boundaries and some citizens are looking for a response. I didn't mean to make it sound as if I think LEOs can do whatever they want.
And in some cases they do, and they do so with mainly the 1st and 2nd Amendment. This past weekend the city I work for had our annual fireworks celebration. 130,000 people attended and so did a group of about 10 radical church goers that went around with a speaker about being saved, repenting, stop drinking, etc. It's their right to do so, but they ruined the enjoyment of 129,990 people. Our phones were off the hook with complaints and nothing we could do.

Both sides like to push the envelope. And I hate to say it, we aren't 1950 anymore and pushing the envelope generally does not get change accomplished.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Jedi, to put the "glass half full" spin on your story, consider that these folks who showed up to protest at least picked a city that runs a big successful holiday event. You should be proud! :wink: Way more captive audience to preach at than any July 4 shindig held within ten miles of MY town. In fact, my town had no event, first time in many years.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Kenosis

Post by Kenosis »

BobK wrote:There has been a lot of discussion about this very issue in Texas with people anticipating Open Carry becoming legal on 01/01/2016, and anticipating what the typical police response will be.

Here's another one of those retched gun/car comparisons....

Driving is illegal unless licensed, but police can't stop you just to see if you're licensed. I think what makes this a valid comparison is that driving is not a right, yet police cannot stop you, so even more liberty should be offered to an act which IS a right.
UncleT

Post by UncleT »

Last year I had cop stop me for "speeding". I have an older truck and I have a rifle rack in the truck, had a rifle in the rifle rack. The truck is a 4 speed manual shift transmission. I just started out from a red light, crossed a rough railroad track. Speed Limit was in was 25MPH, I hadn't got out of 2nd Gear yet and local cop turned his lights on. I pulled over. He claimed I was speeding, I asked to see the radar that said that, you know, the right to face my accuser, he refused. He takes my info, cop said, "I see you have an excellent driving record and I don't want to screw that up for you. Oh, BTW, That is pretty nice rifle you have there."

You don't think he wasn't running a warrant check?