Rifle Mags

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Endymion

Rifle Mags

Post by Endymion »

Perhaps this is the wrong forum, if so I apologize.

When transporting my AR-15 I generally separate the upper and lower receivers for the sake of avoiding hassles if stopped by LEO. I also generally keep my rifle magazines unloaded in a different container or bag which is in turn separated from the ammunition. So all three components, firearm, magazines and ammunition are kept apart and in different parts of the car.

My question is what is the current law on carrying loaded magazines in a vehicle with a rifle if you have a valid CCW? I know you can carry a handgun anywhere along with as many loaded magazines as you want but what are the rules regarding long guns and magazines? Thanks.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Rifle Mags

Post by schmieg »

If you have a CHL honored by Ohio (all of them at this point), you may have loaded mags for long guns stored anywhere in your vehicle, even in the case with the AR. The restrictions on carrying mags is only for those without a CHL. You still have to follow the long gun carry rules though (cased or with the action open or broken down).
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Endymion

Post by Endymion »

Does anyone know if this applies to Michigan as well? I spend a lot of time traveling to various DNR ranges up there.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Endymion wrote:Does anyone know if this applies to Michigan as well? I spend a lot of time traveling to various DNR ranges up there.
You can read through this:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents ... rearms.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...but just searching for the word 'magazine' tells me that you should probably unload both the gun AND the magazines.
MyWifeSaidYes
Endymion

Post by Endymion »

Thanks for the answers!