Ohio open carry question

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

canrunin

Ohio open carry question

Post by canrunin »

I just watched a video of a guy open carrying. The officer wanted to check the gun for his safety so he asked if the gun was loaded and the guy said no. Why would you carry a gun unloaded? I'm not sure what state it was in but here in Ohio you can open carry.( myself I would rather no one no I have a weapon in public but that's just me) if you open carry in Ohio can it. E loaded or does it have to be unloaded? What's the purpose of carrying a gun openly while its unloaded. Am I missing something?
Tru-Heathen

Re: Ohio open carry question

Post by Tru-Heathen »

canrunin wrote:I just watched a video of a guy open carrying. The officer wanted to check the gun for his safety so he asked if the gun was loaded and the guy said no. Why would you carry a gun unloaded? I'm not sure what state it was in but here in Ohio you can open carry.( myself I would rather no one no I have a weapon in public but that's just me) if you open carry in Ohio can it. E loaded or does it have to be unloaded? What's the purpose of carrying a gun openly while its unloaded. Am I missing something?

Yes to the first question, and a death wish to the second ? :lol:

ETA : I suppose carrying a unloaded gun may occur during a "gun walk" ? :?
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

canrunin wrote:I just watched a video of a guy open carrying. The officer wanted to check the gun for his safety so he asked if the gun was loaded and the guy said no. Why would you carry a gun unloaded? I'm not sure what state it was in but here in Ohio you can open carry.( myself I would rather no one no I have a weapon in public but that's just me) if you open carry in Ohio can it. E loaded or does it have to be unloaded? What's the purpose of carrying a gun openly while its unloaded. Am I missing something?
In some states, Commifornia for sure, others possibly, you are allowed to open carry ONLY if unloaded. And yes, it's stupid.
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Now in California you can't even do THAT anymore.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

At one time Utah had a strange proviso related to open carry. Something about non-licensees having to perform two or more actions before having the handgun in hand, loaded. Draw, produce the ammunition and then load the firearm was the common solution.

Think that requirement was struck out of the law some years ago.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

In Ohio, you may indeed carry a loaded firearm, including having a round in the chamber.

During an open carry walk, or anywhere you may be around people that may wish to "cause trouble", I highly advise that any rifle or shotgun slung over your shoulder NOT have a round chambered.

Loaded, but no round chambered.

This is to prevent a troublemaker from firing your gun while it's on your back.

If someone tried to take your gun, you could react and retain the gun. If someone tried to pull a charging handle or rack a slide, you could react to that as well.

But with a round in the chamber, it's far too easy to swipe off a safety and pull a trigger before you could react.

Haven't heard of this happening, but it's possible.
MyWifeSaidYes
centermass

Post by centermass »

An unloaded gun is not a gun, it's a hammer.
Thy rod and thy staff and thy .357, they comfort me.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

True. However, on an open carry walk (organized or impromptu) you are not carrying the rifle as a gun per se. You are carrying it as a political statement, so yeah you are carrying it as a hammer. If you are expecting trouble and think you might need your rifle loaded and a round chambered, then perhaps it might be a good idea to be elsewhere.
centermass wrote:An unloaded gun is not a gun, it's a hammer.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

WY_Not wrote:True. However, on an open carry walk (organized or impromptu) you are not carrying the rifle as a gun per se. You are carrying it as a political statement ...
Exactly.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Werz wrote:
WY_Not wrote:True. However, on an open carry walk (organized or impromptu) you are not carrying the rifle as a gun per se. You are carrying it as a political statement ...
Exactly.
And of course at certain of these walks,probably the majority, there are participants who are carrying "merely" holstered handguns, or a combination. In my experience most of the handguns are loaded, personally mine always are during these events. In other words someone trying to do a long gun grab is going to have to deal with more than the person he's assaulting.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

Do you have to notify if you are open carrying?
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

ScottyPotty wrote:Do you have to notify if you are open carrying?
No....

(1) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun, fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the person after the person has been stopped that the person has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the person then is carrying a concealed handgun;
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Scoutmaster

Post by Scoutmaster »

ScottyPotty wrote:Do you have to notify if you are open carrying?
Only of you are also carrying a concealed BUG
I would personally love to spend another 30 replies educating you about the racist history of gun control, what an assault weapon is, the finer points of the law, or the varying lethality of different weapons. But I doubt you're interested. For some reason the statist side of this argument seems to think ignorance is strength. RookCastle
Each positive interaction helps to create a new normal. Tweed Ring
Cause of death: terminal failure of the victim selection process. Bobk
Face

Post by Face »

One does not even need to provide ID - and affirmed by the that court ruling re: the Toledo OC.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

Okay, this is where I get confused. Is there a legal definition of what is openly carried? OWB, is obvious without a cover garment. But, what about IWB? I have two IWB holsters for my Shield. One secures the gun much deeper than the other, and that is apparently the intent of the manufacturer (High Noon) per their advertising. One is good for deep concealment and the other is an easier draw, so understandably more of the grip is above the belt.

How much of the gun has to be showing to be considered OC?
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark