Handling in public?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

macd556

Handling in public?

Post by macd556 »

I have done some searches. As far as open carry. And motorcycle carry.
I also taught a ccw course for a while. So I know he laws. But I was asked today about handling a firearm in public...

If I have an openly carried firearm
Either on my waistband, or leg holster, or in the case of this person on a holster mounted to the side of his Harley,
And he gets off his bike.
To take the firearm out of the holster to put it into a concealed holster (a kydex alien gear type) at his 5 0clock waist position. Is that allowable?
I've always taught that when you conceal, don't mess with the weapon. Don't fidget, or move it. Adjust it etc. Don't give yourself away. If you have to adjust, go to a bathroom. Etc.
He can't wear the pistol in the holster while riding for fear of his stance on the bike causing the pistol to ride up and fall outve the holster.
So he put a holster on the bike (similar to the under stealing wheel holster for cars).
But taking it out of that holster and ticking it into his concealed holster, while it may draw negative attention and fears. Is it illegal? To hold and handle that firearm openly from one holster to another?
Brian D.

Re: Handling in public?

Post by Brian D. »

No it's not illegal to transfer the gun from one holster to another as you described. Just happens to be a whole lot harder while next to a bike rather than in a car to do such things discreetly. Maybe he could have a friend or two help block the view to strangers while handling the firearm, observing all appropriate safety practices yada yada yada.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Perfectly legal.

Of course, if he muzzle sweeps someone or commits some other unsafe act, that could lead to charges related to the unsafe acts. But simply removing it from one holster and placing it in another is legal.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
macd556

Post by macd556 »

My thought was simply put a strap or lock on the holster. Similar to a serpa. Or a police holster strap. But he is (and by good reason) afraid of response time with a strap on his concealed carry.
But I didn't want to tel him it's fine. Then have some Walmart customer freak out because he gets off his bike, holsters a gun. Then walks inside. But I knew you open carry advocates have dealt with panicked bystanders. And ignorant people freaking out before.
But I'll let him know. I see open carry bikers all the time.
However never talked to someone that wanted to open while on a bike. Then conceal all the rest.
soberbiker

Post by soberbiker »

Has he tried another carry position or a different holster??? I have no issues carrying on my bike without any extra retention devices on my holster.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

I always use a 3 o'clock carry position. Never a problem when I'm out riding. Once in awhile some cager will yell something derisive about carrying on a motorcycle; I acknowledge their remark with a wireless digital form of communication.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

CroManGun wrote:I always use a 3 o'clock carry position. Never a problem when I'm out riding. Once in awhile some cager will yell something derisive about carrying on a motorcycle; I acknowledge their remark with a wireless digital form of communication.
Yeah. I don't have wires on my digits, either. :twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
RichN

Post by RichN »

The only time I openly handle in public is at the GE Credit Union. My wife has been a long time member and some of their loan rates are too good to pass up. They are posted and have had a cop in the lobby every time I've been there. I discreetly disarm and stow my gun before I go in. Once inside, I do a "buckeye tuck" to expose my holster. When I leave, I remove my gun from its storage box and rearm while standing outside of my vehicle.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

RichN wrote: Once inside, I do a "buckeye tuck" to expose my holster.
Why do you expose the empty holster when you get inside? Just curious.

********************************************************************************
BobK

Post by BobK »

Brian D. wrote:
Sounds like making a deliberate statement to me.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

BobK wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
Sounds like making a deliberate statement to me.
Use your WORDS, RichN. Use your WORDS. :P
MyWifeSaidYes
RichN

Post by RichN »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Use your WORDS, RichN. Use your WORDS. :P
Normally I would, but there are three reasons I haven't at this particular location.

1. I like to be able to backup any conversation with the option to leave, and unfortunately, their rates have just been too good to pass up. I guess every man's principles have a price, and tens of thousands of dollars at retirement appears to be mine when it comes to not patronizing a CPZ. On top of that, my wife would probably be more dangerous to me than anyone in the credit union if I told her I wasn't going to sign for the lower rate.

2. My wife is the actual member, not me, so I don’t know that my opinion would matter much to them, and I know my wife is not going to get involved in the conversation.

3. They are slow as molasses on a good day, and these things always seem to be scheduled on days that I have a 1,001 other things to do, so I just want to get in and out as quick as possible. Obviously, if I did cause a scene that might costs me even more time, but I think in that case it might be worth it, since in order for there to be any real scene the cop in the lobby would have to be involved, and he would have to be ignorant of, or at least ignoring, the law.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Any Cincinnati/Tri-state area folks want to join a credit union? :twisted:

https://www.gecreditunion.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Membership with GECU is available to those in and around
the Cincinnati, Dayton, Northern Kentucky, and Southeastern
Indiana areas. In addition, we serve employees at: General
Electric Aviation, TriHealth and Mercy Health, just to name
a few. It takes an initial $5 deposit into a Share/Savings
account to establish your membership with us. This initial
deposit makes you a member-owner with an equal share
in the credit union and access to all of our products and
services. Once you become a member of GECU, you can
always be a member (even if you move or change jobs) -
and your immediate family members are eligible to join too
- as long as you keep your $5 share in the credit union
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

No, already belong to a very pro gun credit union. Got that from the mouth of the President of the place when they took over my old CU. That former outfit was firearms friendly too.

Metal1

Post by Metal1 »

Nothing at all wrong with that. The safety on my Browning HP will sometimes get knocked to the fore position. I have no problems engaging the safety and checking the gun in public to make sure it is safe for carry.