First open carry

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

varro

First open carry

Post by varro »

Open carried for the first time yesterday. I chose Cabela's since it is a pretty gun friendly environment. It was a successful non-event. Only a couple people noticed from what I could tell, one customer and the greeter at the front door. I went in, got what I came for, and browsed a little bit before I paid and left. The only reaction I got was from the greeter, who kind of gave me a squinty-eyed dirty look. Don't think he's a fan of OC lol. All in all, it was a success and it felt good to finally carry.
"The unarmed man is not just defenseless; he is also contemptible." -- Machiavellli

"Beware the fury of a patient man." -- John Dryden
Brian D.

Re: First open carry

Post by Brian D. »

Glad it went smoothly. There was a time in the past where Cabela's would step on their own...wedding tackle, as Evan Price says. An overzealous individual store manager would try to prohibit carry either concealed or open. (Obviously you'd be more likely to have a run-in when in OC mode.) And a couple times I know of at stores of theirs miles apart, they would really hatch a dumb idea: They'd want you to unholster the guns and leave them at the front service counter, which may or may not have been staffed. Adding insult to injury you were supposed to just leave your gun literally on the counter top.

Both times this happened to friends of mine, who I advised to contact Cabela's at the corporate level. Best I know that did the trick for good. Nowadays I don't think anybody gets to store manager level without knowing the company's policies and practices on this subject.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
soberbiker

Post by soberbiker »

I was quite nervous the first time I open carried. It was for the protest in Oberlin when they didn't want to comply with state law. It was about a half hour ride on the motorcycle and I just kept thinking someone would notice or say something. Guess what noone said a thing. Now when I open carry it's just not an issue anymore.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

soberbiker wrote:I was quite nervous the first time I open carried. It was for the protest in Oberlin when they didn't want to comply with state law.
At least you didn't wear a goofy wig. :mrgreen:
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Werz wrote: At least you didn't wear a goofy wig. :mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

My other hippie wig is brown and makes me look several years younger instead of older.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
DarthShark

Post by DarthShark »

Glad to hear more people open carrying. It's not for everyone and I totally respect people who think it's not a good idea. Myself, I OC most of the summer months. My feeling is that it's fine, and I've yet to have a bad encounter with anyone. I've had questions and all were curious good questions. I OC most places around my area, but I wouldn't OC like in Akron or Cleve and such. I keep that concealed anywhere near big cities! Carry on...
"Carry on, carry often, carry absolutely everywhere. Never leave your cave without your club. No self respecting caveman would ever be caught outside his cave without his club." - Mark Walters - Armed American Radio
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

varro wrote:Open carried for the first time yesterday. I chose Cabela's since it is a pretty gun friendly environment. It was a successful non-event. Only a couple people noticed from what I could tell, one customer and the greeter at the front door. I went in, got what I came for, and browsed a little bit before I paid and left. The only reaction I got was from the greeter, who kind of gave me a squinty-eyed dirty look. Don't think he's a fan of OC lol. All in all, it was a success and it felt good to finally carry.
Want some more advice?
Call the Franklin County Sheriff now and make an appointment to apply for your CHL on a day or two after your class is scheduled
Last I heard they were booked a couple weeks out on appointments
If you wait until after your class to call, you might be a couple more weeks out getting your license

Glad things are going well, it's all in how you carry yourself
Stay safe out there, and carry on,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
xxxamishxxx

Post by xxxamishxxx »

I remember the firs time I opened carried..around 1996/97, I was 19 and just out of the police academy.. and in uniform lol
Accurate Concepts Training, LLC
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Punishers Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club
Sneakypete
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Sneakypete »

I remember the first time I open carried, it was in the (then) Republic of South Vietnam, in the central highlands, late summer of '65.
Duty, Honor, Country.
These three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be.
-Gen Douglas MacArthur

You have never lived until you have almost died.
For those who have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Sneakypete wrote:I remember the first time I open carried, it was in the (then) Republic of South Vietnam, in the central highlands, late summer of '65.
Thank you for that,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

My first open carry happened while working for Ohio DR&C, chasing inmates who had escaped our fine, but humble, medium security little bed-and-breakfast.