Open Carry in Columbus

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

varro

Open Carry in Columbus

Post by varro »

I was hoping to get some input on the Columbus PD's attitude toward open carrying a handgun. I'm particularly interested in the general campus area. As some of you know, I am getting my CHL in early May and will be OCing until then. I'm wondering about the chances of having a negative LEO encounter, or having one at all. I will most likely be carrying into the Kroger at High and 7th, and will likely venture anywhere on High Street, South of Lane and North of 7th (not on the campus side of the street). I have seen a few posts regarding encounters in Columbus but I thought I'd open up a thread dedicated to the subject in case anyone else here is in my position or is on the fence about OC in the area. I'd really appreciate feedback from anyone who has OC'd in Columbus (especially the area around campus!) regarding the local PD's attitude about OC. Feel free to share non-events as well as any negative or positive encounters.
"The unarmed man is not just defenseless; he is also contemptible." -- Machiavellli

"Beware the fury of a patient man." -- John Dryden
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Open Carry in Columbus

Post by Werz »

varro wrote:I'd really appreciate feedback from anyone who has OC'd in Columbus (especially the area around campus!) regarding the local PD's attitude about OC. Feel free to share non-events as well as any negative or positive encounters.
OSU Open Carry
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Werz wrote:
varro wrote:I'd really appreciate feedback from anyone who has OC'd in Columbus (especially the area around campus!) regarding the local PD's attitude about OC. Feel free to share non-events as well as any negative or positive encounters.
OSU Open Carry
Here's a link to that event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/375006232642421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And, I'll bet if the OP looks around a bit more on Facebook, he just might find something at the University of Akron on April 25, 2015.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I am dumbfounded and just want to mention a few terms used to describe a perfectly legal way to transport a handgun in a motor vehicle:

Deliberately provocative
poking things with a pointy stick
pushing the envelope
pushing the limits
edgy

Curiously none of them apply to carrying on campus and I notice that no mention was made of the fact that OSU was asked for, and granted, permission for that event, and how the university considered it a free speech issue and not a gun rights issue.

Varro,
You've asked for good advice.
I urge you to consider the responses you receive, beware of conflicting advice, and use your best judgement
If you want someone to OC with you around town for a bit, send me a PM and we can make arrangements

In any event, stay smart, stay safe, and be careful out there,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Chuck wrote:...I notice that no mention was made of the fact that OSU was asked for, and granted, permission for that event, and how the university considered it a free speech issue and not a gun rights issue...
You don't say? :roll:
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

varro wrote:I was hoping to get some input on the Columbus PD's attitude toward open carrying a handgun. I'm particularly interested in the general campus area. As some of you know, I am getting my CHL in early May and will be OCing until then. I'm wondering about the chances of having a negative LEO encounter, or having one at all. I will most likely be carrying into the Kroger at High and 7th, and will likely venture anywhere on High Street, South of Lane and North of 7th (not on the campus side of the street). I have seen a few posts regarding encounters in Columbus but I thought I'd open up a thread dedicated to the subject in case anyone else here is in my position or is on the fence about OC in the area. I'd really appreciate feedback from anyone who has OC'd in Columbus (especially the area around campus!) regarding the local PD's attitude about OC. Feel free to share non-events as well as any negative or positive encounters.
You have gotten some good advice, to which I hope I am offering a bit more.

The grounds around the area that you are describing are within the vicinity of the police departments of Columbus, Ohio State University, and Clinton Township. Each of those departments are likely to react differently, as it was Clinton Township that was involved in the incident techguy85 had.

Also, please understand that the OSU walk was a planned event that notified and sought the permission of the campus police department. So, while the video shows an uneventful walk without any police interaction - you need to understand that it was planned ahead of time with the campus police department. In a day to day setting, that video might lead one to think they would not be approached by campus police. Rather, when we have a member here that was cuffed and thrown into the back of a police cruiser for an empty holster - I would warn caution with the campus police.

Edit: As declared in a later post, I am retracting the statement that the campus police department was directly notified of this walk. Rather, the Office of Legal Affairs was notified - as seen later in this thread. ---Stryker74

Another aspect to consider is the mindset and climate of the area where you will be. Unfortunately, the campus mindset is one of deep liberalism and the attitude of sheep following their academic leaders. When in that area, you are likely to be in the midst of an anti-gun crowd. This can cause calls about a MWAG - which is what I think led to the encounter that techguy85 had (the liberal mindset that saw him reholster his gun).

Finally, be very aware of any establishment that serves alcohol. I know the bars are fewer in the south campus area than when I was your age - but there is still alcohol being served in establishments in that area. Without a CHL, you are not legal to carry into any establishment that serves on the premises - which includes that Kroger if there were to have a wine tasting. (Not likely for that campus Kroger to do so, but worth noting.)

I am not anti-OC at all. I don't generally carry that way in my day-to-day, as I prefer to just blend into the crowd as best I can - but that is just me. I will readily OC for walks and demonstrations - I even walked in a Independance Day parade last year with a group that OCed. Just be aware that OC without a CHL takes a little more thought and prep.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Stryker74 wrote:...Also, please understand that the OSU walk was a planned event that notified and sought the permission of the campus police department...
Then apparently two people are misinformed.

Got Freedom?

Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

BB62 wrote:
Stryker74 wrote:...Also, please understand that the OSU walk was a planned event that notified and sought the permission of the campus police department...
Then apparently two people are misinformed.
Did you, or did you not, contact officials with OSU prior to your walk? Your own Facebook event page (https://www.facebook.com/events/375006232642421/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) notes that you contacted the Office of Legal Affairs:
>> Students, please read the note from the office of Legal Affairs at the bottom of this event description for more details about armed carry. <<
NOTE TO STUDENTS: "Based on your representations about this event and the individuals who will be participating in it, we will not take action against students under our Code of Student Conduct solely for legal possession of a weapon while participating in this walk." - Melissa Mayhan, Assistant General Counsel, Office of Legal Affairs
Emphasis mine.

So, what am I misinformed about? This was a planned event that got permission for students to participate without repercussions from the University. At no point does this mean that someone will not be approached and questioned on their day-to-day activities where they venture on campus. My warning to the original poster was meant as such - a warning that your event was planned and the University was notified/contacted. His/her milage may vary in their own circumstances outside of a planned walk.
Aaron

NRA Range Safety Officer

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BB62

Post by BB62 »

BB62 wrote:
Please identify where and how permission for the walk was sought from the campus police department, as you stated was the case.

Got Freedom?

Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

BB62 wrote:
BB62 wrote:
Please identify where and how permission for the walk was sought from the campus police department, as you stated was the case.
Fine - I will retract the statement, and replace it with the one I quoted.

But, do you really, honestly think that this was not communicated to the campus PD as a result of your communications with any official with OSU?

I know you are a much more intelligent man than that - so why are you quibbling over the words when the intent was clear?

Wasn't there just another thread from the original poster about vehicle transport, where there was an outcry of grandstanding and provocative behavior? Seems to me that we do ourselves more harm than good when we have to raise a concern over petty things. You notified the University of the walk, which is what I intended the original poster to know. I am not going to go back and forth over the choice of words I used to portray that idea, just so that you can stand up on a rickety soapbox.

:roll:
Aaron

NRA Range Safety Officer

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

If you think something said wasn't 100% accurate, please feel free to set the record straight, not just say everybody is wrong,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
varro

Post by varro »

Thanks for the advice so far, just want to clarify that I don't intend to carry on campus, just the area immediately surrounding it.
"The unarmed man is not just defenseless; he is also contemptible." -- Machiavellli

"Beware the fury of a patient man." -- John Dryden
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

University police has joint jurisdiction agreements with Columbus for the campus surrounding area:

http://www.ps.ohio-state.edu/police/cam ... police.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
he University Police Division has entered into agreements with the Cities of Columbus, Bexley and Upper Arlington, as well as Clinton Township and the Wayne County Sheriff's Office, to allow University Police to investigate criminal offenses and perform other police functions in those jurisdictions under certain circumstances.

Through the agreement with the City of Columbus, University police officers engage in crime interdiction and joint crime prevention projects in the Columbus Police 4th Precinct and University District. In addition, this agreement allows University police officers to take law enforcement action when they view certain criminal activity while travelling through the City of Columbus on university business and to provide assistance to the Columbus Police Division in the event of an emergency.

Just adding to make sure you are informed.
Aaron

NRA Range Safety Officer

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Stryker74 wrote:
BB62 wrote:
Fine - I will retract the statement, and replace it with the one I quoted.
Perhaps we should stop screwing around with this and get to the crux of the matter. The entities involved are irrelevant. Notification was given, legal positions were stated, and university officials were given an opportunity to respond. I do not believe that permission was ever sought.

I know that seems like a fine point. It's not.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Chuck wrote:I am dumbfounded and just want to mention a few terms used to describe a perfectly legal way to transport a handgun in a motor vehicle:

Deliberately provocative
poking things with a pointy stick
pushing the envelope
pushing the limits
edgy

Curiously none of them apply to carrying on campus and I notice that no mention was made of the fact that OSU was asked for, and granted, permission for that event, and how the university considered it a free speech issue and not a gun rights issue.
I am surprised that you are dumfounded, Chuck. All of the foregoing terms apply to the OSU open carry walk. However, that event was conducted by a group of people with full notification given to legal and law enforcement officials of the university, and with responses received from university officials regarding their intentions. There is a big difference between that and a roadside encounter between a peace officer and a lone driver with a visible handgun and without a CHL. If you do not perceive any difference between those two scenarios, then I, too, am dumbfounded.
-- BobK