Open Carry in Columbus

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BB62

Re: Open Carry in Columbus

Post by BB62 »

Werz wrote:
Stryker74 wrote:
BB62 wrote:...Also, please understand that the OSU walk was a planned event that notified and sought the permission of the campus police department...
Please identify where and how permission for the walk was sought from the campus police department, as you stated was the case.
Perhaps we should stop screwing around with this and get to the crux of the matter. The entities involved are irrelevant. Notification was given, legal positions were stated, and university officials were given an opportunity to respond. I do not believe that permission was ever sought.

I know that seems like a fine point. It's not.
As is occasionally the case :wink: , everything you've said is accurate.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Werz wrote:
Chuck wrote:I am dumbfounded and just want to mention a few terms used to describe a perfectly legal way to transport a handgun in a motor vehicle:

Deliberately provocative
poking things with a pointy stick
pushing the envelope
pushing the limits
edgy

Curiously none of them apply to carrying on campus and I notice that no mention was made of the fact that OSU was asked for, and granted, permission for that event, and how the university considered it a free speech issue and not a gun rights issue.
I am surprised that you are dumfounded, Chuck. All of the foregoing terms apply to the OSU open carry walk. However, that event was conducted by a group of people with full notification given to legal and law enforcement officials of the university, and with responses received from university officials regarding their intentions. There is a big difference between that and a roadside encounter between a peace officer and a lone driver with a visible handgun and without a CHL. If you do not perceive any difference between those two scenarios, then I, too, am dumbfounded.
What dumbfounded me is that you would raise such a stink about my advice to our new friend regarding transporting his gun, using all those wonderful adjectives, and then post that video without clarification or comment when he asks about open carrying

Are you trying to get him jammed up?
I am removing myself from this conversation, as I have no desire to argue with you and the whole thing feels like a big set up to me
I bid you good day, sir,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

BB62 wrote:
BB62 wrote:
Stryker74 wrote:...Also, please understand that the OSU walk was a planned event that notified and sought the permission of the campus police department...
Please identify where and how permission for the walk was sought from the campus police department, as you stated was the case.
Please don't presume that conversations weren't had with OSU PD about this event. In fact, I called Chief Denton to inform him of the event personally because I feared what might happen if the comm center were to start getting panic 911 calls from the anti-gun people who are all over campus. He appreciated the notice and said that his department supervisors and dispatchers would be notified. Permission wasn't asked for but notification was made.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

To the OP: I've never really had any issues with CPD. However, there is a recounting of an event I had after church one morning in the Lennox Town Center parking lot around here somewhere that I don't have the link handy for. That was a Clinton Township Officer who while I am sure he is a good guy and a good cop, could have handled things better in my opinion. Chuck has already offered to walk around with you to get you comfortable with that process and I would suggest that you take him up on his offer; he's a great guy and one of the first I ever open carried with.
But bottom line is that your milage may varry. Why the delay in getting your CHL? If you need a class soonner, a friend and I will be running one next Saturday April 25th.
Anyway, if you cannot get your license sooner and feel the need to open carry, I support your right to do that. Just understand that there are restrictions on school zones and class D establishments that serve drinks for consumption on site that you need to be aware of. Also note that you will have to transport in a vehicle your firearm in compliance with R.C. 2923.16 which is restrictive without a CHL.
Best of luck, and if you need any other info the folks on here are (generally speaking) pretty helpful.
varro

Post by varro »

Thanks techguy, I believe I did see the thread you're referring to, it sounds pretty familiar. I was originally planning on the 25th for the class, but that's opening weekend for turkey season and that's a tradition I can't break :D As far as the limitations for non-licensee's, I'm confident that I'm knowledgable enough to be legal. Even so, I'll keep up the research.
"The unarmed man is not just defenseless; he is also contemptible." -- Machiavellli

"Beware the fury of a patient man." -- John Dryden
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Varro-

As you may have noticed, there is a little in-fighting going on when you bring up the topic of open carry at OSU.

Sorry about that.

Your question about open carry in Columbus and central Ohio in general should be answered like this:

Central Ohio is THE MOST TOLERANT of Ohio's large metro areas when it comes to open carry of handguns.

The incident with techguy85 was caused by a woman seeing a law-abiding citizen loading/unloading his firearm, per state law.

The incident that Stryker74 mentioned, where Dynamike was proned, cuffed and stuffed, was caused by an empty holster.

The people who reported these issues, IMHO, would have called the cops if you had exposed a concealed handgun, so I don't really view these as "open carry" issues.

The "issues" were with the people making the report.

I have open carried in and around Columbus for many, many years. I'll make the offer to walk with you anytime, including upon the campus of OSU.
MyWifeSaidYes
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

varro wrote:I was hoping to get some input on the Columbus PD's attitude toward open carrying a handgun. I'm particularly interested in the general campus area. As some of you know, I am getting my CHL in early May and will be OCing until then. I'm wondering about the chances of having a negative LEO encounter, or having one at all. I will most likely be carrying into the Kroger at High and 7th, and will likely venture anywhere on High Street, South of Lane and North of 7th (not on the campus side of the street). I have seen a few posts regarding encounters in Columbus but I thought I'd open up a thread dedicated to the subject in case anyone else here is in my position or is on the fence about OC in the area. I'd really appreciate feedback from anyone who has OC'd in Columbus (especially the area around campus!) regarding the local PD's attitude about OC. Feel free to share non-events as well as any negative or positive encounters.
I think it's a bad plan. You seem to be new to carrying firearms (and a relatively new gun owner, am I right?). Open carry near a college campus will generate citizen complaints and 911 calls. Police will respond. You should be more comfortable carrying a gun, and more erudite in constitutional law before you put yourself into a position where you will almost certainly have some police interaction. On the list of places where open carry is likely to generate a police response, your proposed territory is pretty close to the top.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.