A week in TN

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Buckeyedoc

A week in TN

Post by Buckeyedoc »

So, we took the family to Gatlinburg area (including Sevierville and Pigeon Forge) for Spring Break. I noticed a lot of people OC'ing there. My personal preference is to conceal carry as mush as possible. It's no one else's business if I'm carrying. Anyway, we were sitting down to dinner and my shirt had popped up over my gun and the table next to me were staring and whispering. One of the men had gotten up and in very broken English asked what it was like to carry a gun around all the time. Apparently, they were visiting from China and were amazed that common people carry guns. The one lady asked in Chinese if I had ever shot someone. The guy that spoke the most English was very embarrassed to ask me that. I guess they have this grand notion that we go around blasting away at people at will. It was a nice conversation with them.
docachna

Re: A week in TN

Post by docachna »

I'm in Middle TN (Nashville). Not a huge number of OC'ers here. Get 20 miles out of town, and that changes significantly. I call it the "Mossy Oak" formula - the higher number of Mossy Oak clothing items being worn by the patrons, the higher percentage of OC.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Buckeyedoc

Post by Buckeyedoc »

docachna wrote:I'm in Middle TN (Nashville). Not a huge number of OC'ers here. Get 20 miles out of town, and that changes significantly. I call it the "Mossy Oak" formula - the higher number of Mossy Oak clothing items being worn by the patrons, the higher percentage of OC.
Now that you mention it, the Mossy Oak fashion is rather popular down there. You can tell the tourists from the "indigenous personnel."
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

docachna wrote:I'm in Middle TN (Nashville). Not a huge number of OC'ers here. Get 20 miles out of town, and that changes significantly. I call it the "Mossy Oak" formula - the higher number of Mossy Oak clothing items being worn by the patrons, the higher percentage of OC.
Hmmm ... The waitresses at the Waffle House in Jeffersonville off I-71 were wearing Mossy Oak caps, and our waitress complimented me on my EDC and wanted to talk guns. There may be something to that phenomenon.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Werz wrote:
Hmmm ... The waitresses at the Waffle House in Jeffersonville off I-71 were wearing Mossy Oak caps, and our waitress complimented me on my EDC and wanted to talk guns. There may be something to that phenomenon.
Now that location was posted last time I was by there, meeting my son to bring him the tickets he'd left at home for a Red's game.. - Good to know.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Aesinsp wrote:
Werz wrote:
Now that location was posted last time I was by there, meeting my son to bring him the tickets he'd left at home for a Red's game.. - Good to know.
I'd heard that about Waffle House, so I looked closely when I entered. No gunbuster sign. And I was carrying quite openly.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Werz wrote: I'd heard that about Waffle House, so I looked closely when I entered. No gunbuster sign. And I was carrying quite openly.
The lady who owns the franchise for several Waffle House's in central Ohio is anti-gun and keeps the stores posted, but another franchisee in central Ohio is not and does not.

The lack of consistency is disappointing. :(
MyWifeSaidYes
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Werz wrote: I'd heard that about Waffle House, so I looked closely when I entered. No gunbuster sign. And I was carrying quite openly.
The lady who owns the franchise for several Waffle House's in central Ohio is anti-gun and keeps the stores posted, but another franchisee in central Ohio is not and does not.

The lack of consistency is disappointing. :(

To each his own!
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Ever since I moved to here in Virginia in 2011 I've been OCing everywhere I go.
Only locking my gun in a clam shell in my car when I go to PT where I'm likely to not have absolute control of it.
I carry in Kroger, Walmart, Cici's pizza, Red Lobster, a couple of other local restaurants, and even my doctor's office.
And this is in a blue county in a sea of red ones.
Due, probably to the University of Virginia.
Thomas Jefferson's Monticello is about a mile and a half from our house and I pass by it both going to and coming back from any trip I make.
On rare occasion I get a comment and they're always positive, never "I'm scared of you and your gun" type stuff.

Actually this wasn't that much of a change for me I used to OC around Stow most of the time. Definitely in the Stow WalMart.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.