OC long gun, no issues

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

wickedgreyzx3

OC long gun, no issues

Post by wickedgreyzx3 »

Friday I had to drop off a loaner car to enterprise. I was getting picked up to go squirrel hunting and had a not so tacticool shot gun with me. I had to take it into Enterprise.

They had no signs up and no issues, no one even gave me a funny look.

Wonder what I would've done if they had a gun buster sign up... lol
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: OC long gun, no issues

Post by Cruiser »

I generally carry my hunting guns in a gun case when going to and from place of hunting! Just saying.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

Get a case. It will protect your firearm.

LOL, if they had a gun buster sign I hope you'd take your business elsewhere.

Not to be a drag, but it is generally frowned upon to open carry long guns into private property unless explicitly invited to do so by said private establishment. A soft case would serve you well in this instance as well. It also gives you a place to keep your ammo together with the gun if it has pouches.
BobK

Post by BobK »

So what if carrying a shotgun into a private business helps to prompt an employee who was too frightened to object to your face to make a complaint to the manager, who reflexively responds by drawing a "No Guns" sign with a crayon on a brown paper grocery bag and tape it up? The result can be over 400,000 Ohioans with concealed carry licenses suddenly losing permission to carry on those premises.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Having a proper case will also generally help speed along any law enforcement encounters that may occur. Let's look at the rules about carrying unloaded long guns in a car:
2923.16 (C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;
The easiest way.
(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;
Hope the rental isn't an SUV and doesn't have fold down back seats.
(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;
That'd be an interesting marketing idea - rent vehicles that come with gun racks installed.
(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.
Anybody remember all the angst and uncertainty that came with doing the Buckeye Tuck, and what would constitute plain sight in the context of a firearm? Seemed to be a lot of officer discretion type issues. What happens if you're driving and the gun that was in plain sight falls to the floor or is covered when something falls on it during a sudden stop? If nothing else transporting this way will ensure a pretty lively roadside interaction.

I'd buy the $15 soft case at WalMart and call it a day.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I would do nothing different than the OP did.

If my shotgun were not on my shoulder, it would probably only be in a gun sock.
MyWifeSaidYes
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

djthomas wrote:
Do you know of any automobiles that don't have fold down back seats that allow access to the trunk these days? I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Darkness

Post by Darkness »

You have to get into the trunk on my Jaguar to release the rear seat backs. Can't do it from inside the car.

Don't ask me how long it took for me to figure that out...
It was not fair, it was not fair, it was not fair. So cried his child's heart, and then his child's heart died a little. For that is also the way of the world.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Klingon00 wrote:
djthomas wrote:
Do you know of any automobiles that don't have fold down back seats that allow access to the trunk these days? I can't think of any off the top of my head.
I always wondered if the pass-through doors in my old Volvo sedans counted.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Klingon00 wrote:
djthomas wrote:Do you know of any automobiles that don't have fold down back seats that allow access to the trunk these days? I can't think of any off the top of my head.
A very small handful although fold down seats are still optional ones some lower end models. It's kind of like how many pocket knives are out there that don't have locking blades and can't be opened with one hand (possible attributes of a weapon as opposed to a mere tool). The market had changed but the law really hasn't kept up.

It's less of an issue though as far as Ohio law is concerned so long as everything is unloaded and in a proper case. FOPA is where it gets really ugly.
wickedgreyzx3

Post by wickedgreyzx3 »

Cruiser wrote:I generally carry my hunting guns in a gun case when going to and from place of hunting! Just saying.
Its a $70 single shot early 90s NEF I'm not to worries about it ;)
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

wickedgreyzx3 wrote:
Cruiser wrote:I generally carry my hunting guns in a gun case when going to and from place of hunting! Just saying.
Its a $70 single shot early 90s NEF I'm not to worries about it ;)
Good for you.
Abandon ye all HOPE!