OC in PA

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Continuum

OC in PA

Post by Continuum »

I am planning a backpack trip in PA Allegheny Nat Forest. Since I cannot conceal and carry I'd like to open carry on the trail. My research thus far is the following which is pretty clear. I'd be happy to hear any other feedback or advice.

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=292" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also when bedding down for the night does the loaded handgun become a house gun? Does anything change?

Thanks.
pirateguy191

Re: OC in PA

Post by pirateguy191 »

Open Carry (Without A Valid Permit/License)
Open Carry is legal except a valid permit/license is needed to carry a loaded firearm openly or concealed in a vehicle and for openly carrying in the city of Philadelphia. Places as listed in the “Places Off Limits” above apply to those who open carry. See the “RV/Car Carry Without a Permit” section for carrying in a vehicle.
The state preempts all firearm laws in the state and local authorities can’t have Laws/Ordinances against open carry except cities of the 1st class were given exemptions to some parts of preemption. Philadelphia has laws/ordinances concerning open carry and only those with a valid permit/license to carry can open carry in Philadelphia. Remember that if you enter any property and the owner/responsible person ask you to leave you must leave. Failure to leave can result in Trespass Charges. The Minimum age for Open Carry is 18.
You can read the “Open Carry Guidance Document for Local Law Enforcement” put out by the Chiefs of Police Association in Pennsylvania Here.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

A nonresident Pennsylvania license is inexpensive and easy to obtain if you have an Ohio license. Then you could be armed in your vehicle and it also gives you several other states as well.
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

Atilla wrote:A nonresident Pennsylvania license is inexpensive and easy to obtain if you have an Ohio license. Then you could be armed in your vehicle and it also gives you several other states as well.

Cool! I want one!
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Atilla wrote:A nonresident Pennsylvania license is inexpensive and easy to obtain if you have an Ohio license. Then you could be armed in your vehicle and it also gives you several other states as well.
You can be armed in your vehicle in PA without a CHL, but certainly it is good to have one if you are going to be visiting PA.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MacDonald wrote:Cool! I want one!
Step 1: Get an Ohio CHL (if needed)
Step 2: Go online and fill out the PA application - Crawford County has a PDF on their website you can fill out and print.
Step 3: Take completed application, $20, your Ohio CHL, your Ohio DL and your smiling face to the Sheriff's office in Erie County, Crawford County, or Butler County.
Step 4: Wait 2 weeks or so for the license to arrive in the mail.

Simples!
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

JustaShooter wrote:
Step 2: Go online and fill out the PA application - Crawford County has a PDF on their website you can fill out and print.
Step 3: Take completed application, $20, your Ohio CHL, your Ohio DL and your smiling face to the Sheriff's office in Erie County, Crawford County, or Butler County.

Simples!

Shooter, THANK YOU for this info!!
I have an Ohio CHL. My sister lives in Wheeling, WV, and when I visit we frequently enter PA. I always leave my gun, as I did not know OC in a vehicle was okay, loaded or not. I new OH and PA did not have reciprocity, so I figured better to err on the side of caution.

But, do I HAVE to smile???
:oops:
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

JustaShooter wrote:
You can be armed in your vehicle in PA without a CHL, but certainly it is good to have one if you are going to be visiting PA.
I think you need a PA LTCAF to have a loaded weapon in a vehicle.
http://www.pahouse.com/White/documents/ ... 20Laws.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-la ... vania.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please correct me if anyone finds otherwise. It's easy enough to get the nonresident license.
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Atilla wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
I think you need a PA LTCAF to have a loaded weapon in a vehicle.
http://www.pahouse.com/White/documents/ ... 20Laws.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-la ... vania.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please correct me if anyone finds otherwise. It's easy enough to get the nonresident license.
Sorry, I mis-spoke - you can carry in your car in PA as long as you have a CHL - any CHL, it doesn't have to be PA LTCF or even a CHL that PA recognizes. Your Ohio CHL is fine:

From 18 PA CSA 6106 http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI ... /18/18.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Firearms not to be Carried Without a License
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who
carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business,
without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in
any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of
abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other
criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.
(b) Exceptions.
-- The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued
license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state
Emphasis mine.
NRA Life Member

Mortar34

Post by Mortar34 »

JustaShooter wrote:

Simples!
I second this. I just got my non-res PA permit from Crawford County last week....6 days from drop off to rec'd in the mail.
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

JustaShooter wrote: Step 2: Go online and fill out the PA application - Crawford County has a PDF on their website you can fill out and print.
Just pay attention to the form when you print it off. Some counties will have their name already printed on them.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Six Shooter wrote:
JustaShooter wrote: Step 2: Go online and fill out the PA application - Crawford County has a PDF on their website you can fill out and print.
Just pay attention to the form when you print it off. Some counties will have their name already printed on them.
Good point - also, some counties require the form to be printed on both sides of a single sheet of paper - Crawford doesn't, but I have vague memories that Butler might. Check the county website before printing and driving there...
NRA Life Member