Open Carry [Manager talked to me]

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

LSglock89

Open Carry [Manager talked to me]

Post by LSglock89 »

Wife needed to do some shopping...decided to switch it up and open carry my 1911 that day.

We went through Best Buy, Target, Famous Footwear ad a few other places that are but a memory only to my wallet. However I do remember Bed Bath and Beyond

Overused the whole store (had some gift cards to use up) and then a guy walked up to me. I knew he was going to say something. It started off with "Hey, how are you folks doing? Anything I can help you with? We both politely declined...and he was going to walk away...but stopped and sighed... And said "Umm...hey, you got the proper permit to be carrying that thing around right?"

I didn't feel this was the time to correct him that I didn't need a license to carry openly, but rather than derail what was a positive experience thus far, I just said "Yup sure do."

He replied, "I figured so, you seem like nice folks, a customer and employee came up to me and said someone had a gun, so I needed to check it out." I told him not a problem. He told us to have a nice day...

And that was that...
docachna

Re: Open Carry [Manager talked to me]

Post by docachna »

Technically, you were correct.

You have all the "permits" you need (= 0).

Some would say you should have corrected him on the spot. You have to handle it in the manner with which you are comfortable. If it worked for you, it worked. Maybe next time, someone will call his bluff. Maybe not.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
soberbiker

Post by soberbiker »

Sounds like a missed opportunity to educate someone on open carry. Having a permit means you've had some training and passed some sort of competency test. He might have been more worried to find out anyone can open carry. Could've gone either way and glad all went well.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

soberbiker wrote: Having a permit means you've had some training and passed some sort of competency test.
That's how those of us who own and carry firearms might look at it. However, as the manager of Bed, Bath, and Beyond, he probably just wanted someone to tell him it was okay. Ya gotta pick your times and places. :|
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

It sounds to me like the manager was placed in an uncomfortable (for him) situation he had no idea how to deal with. You told him what he needed to hear to calm down the customer and employee who were concerned.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
LSglock89

Post by LSglock89 »

TunnelRat wrote:
soberbiker wrote: Having a permit means you've had some training and passed some sort of competency test.
That's how those of us who own and carry firearms might look at it. However, as the manager of Bed, Bath, and Beyond, he probably just wanted someone to tell him it was okay. Ya gotta pick your times and places. :|
Pretty much how I felt about it, definitely seemed like it wasn't something he had encountered before or really expected to either.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a Followup call with that particular manager.

Be polite, thank him for his understanding, then eloquently explain why open carry does not need a "permit" or "license". I find it best to lead the discussion but let them "realize" the answers in their own way.
synack2

Post by synack2 »

LSglock89 wrote:and he was going to walk away...but stopped and sighed... And said "Umm...hey, you got the proper permit to be carrying that thing around right?"
Sounds like a good reason the keep a few pocket constitutions in your pocket and hand it to him and say "Yeah, It's right there under number 2"
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
Mortar34

Post by Mortar34 »

Personally, I think you handled it perfectly. We care about these details intimately, others do not. No point in making something into a bigger situation, especially when it seems the manager, who did seem to be in an unfamilair situation, was trying to handle it well and in a non-confrontational manner.

Another one of my personal beliefs is, if you decide to OC, you have to understand that some people will be uncomfortable. Taking offense and reprimanding someone for that is (again, my opinion) naive and reckless and makes our cause look bad. We have to be patient and let others come around. Trying to force them and getting angry does nothing positive for the cause.

If the manger was a member of MDA, however, all bets are off. :wink:
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

Mortar34 wrote:Personally, I think you handled it perfectly. We care about these details intimately, others do not. No point in making something into a bigger situation, especially when it seems the manager, who did seem to be in an unfamilair situation, was trying to handle it well and in a non-confrontational manner.

Another one of my personal beliefs is, if you decide to OC, you have to understand that some people will be uncomfortable. Taking offense and reprimanding someone for that is (again, my opinion) naive and reckless and makes our cause look bad. We have to be patient and let others come around. Trying to force them and getting angry does nothing positive for the cause.

If the manger was a member of MDA, however, all bets are off. :wink:
I agree. one reason that many open carry is to educate others. The best way to do that is to be polite.

Now, i believe every police officer in the state should be aware of all thr gun laws by now, so if confronted by an leo for open carry, i see no reason to be as polite (short of getting yourself shot)
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein