OC at new Field and Stream Miamisburg

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tbrew85

Re: OC at new Field and Stream Miamisburg

Post by tbrew85 »

sdelam wrote:They had lots of bulk 22. Rem 500 rd bricks and buckets. $25 for bricks, $70 for buckets. Limit 2 per customer.
I heard the same about lots of 22lr on Saturday. I stopped in today on the off chance that any was left. I didn't see any. I asked a guy working the counter "I guess you've sold out all of your .22"? He looked at me, wearing my Harley Davidson coat and asked "You ride?" I chuckled and said yes. He slid a bag across the counter and said "Here ya go, its the last of it in the store". It was a F&S bag with 10 50 rnd boxes of Remington 22 cyclone for $32. He said they sold 14 skids of 22 alone on Saturday.

I didn't have time to shop today but the store looks nice. Going back tomorrow to look around a little better.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Guess I'm the odd man out. They are owned by Dick's Sporting Goods and thus are on the list, along with K-Mart, Cheaper Than Dirt, and a couple of others, of companies that will never see a penny of my money. Too many other options to put up with sellouts.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

WY_Not wrote:Guess I'm the odd man out. They are owned by Dick's Sporting Goods and thus are on the list, along with K-Mart, Cheaper Than Dirt, and a couple of others, of companies that will never see a penny of my money. Too many other options to put up with sellouts.
There are certainly others here who share that viewpoint. Can't say as I blame you for it. On the other hand, as someone who takes new shooters to the range, I was almost out of .22 long rifle, which is the only caliber I'll start newbies on. So I got pleasantly surprised by the fact that the F&S in northern Kentucky did their best from the start to keep it in stock, at non-exorbitant prices. We're talking about saving hundreds of dollars over a couple year period, too much for me to ignore.

And as an academic question I would ask 'How long do we keep up a boycott?'

--I was mad at Sturm Ruger when the old man stopped sales of 'high' capacity magazines for their products to the civilian market. Eventually he croaked and that policy changed. Boycott over for me, but not everybody is willing to let that one go. Okay.

--Smith & Wesson yielded to political pressure during the Clinton era and built key locks into most all their non-law enforcement firearms. They have since stepped back from that somewhat, so after a while I took them off my 'Go suck an egg!' list. Others continue to shop elsewhere. okay.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Can definitely feel your pain. I'm an Appleseed instructor and make my 10/22s, accessories, and ammo available on a regular basis. I do not begrudge anyone for choosing to get their supplies from a less than desirable source. Especially if for a good cause such as bringing new people to the light as it were. My boycotts are my own and I don't expect anyone to always agree with them much less abide by them. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Thankfully I've not yet been forced to the point of choosing between bringing a new shooter to the fold and giving certain companies some of my hard earned dollars.

As for the issue of how long I'll keep a boycott going... personally I put no expiration date on such things. Still refuse to shop K-Mart because of the way they backed Rosie in her attack way back when on Tom Selleck (sp?) even though she has since moved on. Still will not spend a dime on S&W products even though they have changed hands a couple of times since they caved to Clinton's demands. Yeah, I may be a bit overkill but on basic rights, I have no use for those who knowingly cave. As Sam Adams said, "...may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

Actually, on S&W my beef with them was their willingness to cave and supply spent cases and rifling grooved bullet samples to the Feds.

As for Ruger's decision not to make 'high' capacity mags and black rifles, I didn't have as much of a problem with that as it was a personal/business decision. He was not coerced into it by Feds. It was his company, he can make or not make whatever he wants. I could be completely wrong on my understanding of the Ruger decision. It was a bit before my time and I've only gotten into Rugers (10/22s) in the last half dozen years. Their utility as an alternative training tool was tough to beat. If I'm wrong in my understanding, I've no problem switching to something else.
Brian D. wrote:
WY_Not wrote:Guess I'm the odd man out. They are owned by Dick's Sporting Goods and thus are on the list, along with K-Mart, Cheaper Than Dirt, and a couple of others, of companies that will never see a penny of my money. Too many other options to put up with sellouts.
There are certainly others here who share that viewpoint. Can't say as I blame you for it. On the other hand, as someone who takes new shooters to the range, I was almost out of .22 long rifle, which is the only caliber I'll start newbies on. So I got pleasantly surprised by the fact that the F&S in northern Kentucky did their best from the start to keep it in stock, at non-exorbitant prices. We're talking about saving hundreds of dollars over a couple year period, too much for me to ignore.

And as an academic question I would ask 'How long do we keep up a boycott?'

--I was mad at Sturm Ruger when the old man stopped sales of 'high' capacity magazines for their products to the civilian market. Eventually he croaked and that policy changed. Boycott over for me, but not everybody is willing to let that one go. Okay.

--Smith & Wesson yielded to political pressure during the Clinton era and built key locks into most all their non-law enforcement firearms. They have since stepped back from that somewhat, so after a while I took them off my 'Go suck an egg!' list. Others continue to shop elsewhere. okay.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

I am right there with you on that one. I will not step foot into another Dick's. I have chewed my dads ear a few times about him shopping there.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

WY_Not wrote:As for Ruger's decision not to make 'high' capacity mags and black rifles, I didn't have as much of a problem with that as it was a personal/business decision. He was not coerced into it by Feds. It was his company, he can make or not make whatever he wants. I could be completely wrong on my understanding of the Ruger decision. It was a bit before my time and I've only gotten into Rugers (10/22s) in the last half dozen years. Their utility as an alternative training tool was tough to beat. If I'm wrong in my understanding, I've no problem switching to something else.
Best I recall Bill Ruger was indeed trying to curry favor with the Feds, think he had some notion that the .gov, either civilian or military, was looking to buy a bunch of Mini-14's in their select fire variant, the AC-556 (?) I'm sure there was some mass casualty incident that coincided with the decision, which was a great excuse for the company to point at. Ultimately Uncle Sam didn't make the buy...well, at least not for any of their agencies we know about. :wink:

But that was forever ago and the heirs changed that policy in a fairly short time after Mr. Ruger's passing. To me it would be pointless for you to shift away from their products now, they're just the ticket for Appleseed events aren't they?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

For a while they were about the only smallbore rifle so well suited to an Appleseed event. Plenty of "real" rifles were out there but they can get expensive for the new shooter. Times have changed though. Remington makes their 597 (I think it is) that works well. Marlin now makes one but can't remember the model. The 10/22 still has a bit of an edge though because of all the accessories. Ruger also makes an Appleseed model 10/22, http://www.ruger.com/products/102250thA ... odels.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Just add GI sling and ammo.

ARs and 10/22s are Barbie dolls for shooters. If you can imagine it, someone out there probably makes the accessory.

Shameless plug... For anyone who has not been to an Appleseed, get thee to one. You will not regret it. Great instruction, great stories, and great people.
Brian D. wrote:But that was forever ago and the heirs changed that policy in a fairly short time after Mr. Ruger's passing. To me it would be pointless for you to shift away from their products now, they're just the ticket for Appleseed events aren't they?