Do people really notice?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Wileyone

Do people really notice?

Post by Wileyone »

Was at the gas station the other day. While I was waiting in line I noticed a guy fidgeting around with something in his back pocket. He was an older guy, with a kid and clean cut. I notice the thing he is fidgeting with is a partially exposed Walther style pistol. Not sure if anybody else noticed but it was pretty hard to ignore the amount of time he spent moving it, touching it etc. Two questions come to mind, one, if you have an open exposed firearm how many normal everyday people notice it (and you're not touching it like a school boy with his first girl) and two do you ever say anything to somebody that they are drawing attention to the partially exposed gun?
Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol.
Tweed Ring

Re: Do people really notice?

Post by Tweed Ring »

1. very few.

2. none of my business.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Tweed Ring wrote:1. very few.

2. none of my business.
Agreed.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Likewise, never had anyone notice - or at least, not comment. Pretty sure I've seen a couple of people pull their heads out of their smartphones long enough to recognize I was openly armed but nothing beyond that.

As to saying anything to someone fiddling with their own gun, unless I felt like they were endangering me or others I don't think its my place to open my mouth. Well, if it was a particularly interesting piece I might say something about the gun but that would be about it.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
soberbiker

Post by soberbiker »

I don't think most people even notice. Or they assume I'm some sort of law enforcement. Haven't had a bad experience yet. Of the few times I've even been asked about it they just wanted to know what I was carrying.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Werz wrote:

2. none of my business.
Agreed.
Yup.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

If I saw someone playing with a partially exposed gun in their back pocket, depending on the venue and other circumstances, I might strike up a conversation with the guy.

The fact that he wasn't alone would be one of the things that would keep me from doing so.
MyWifeSaidYes
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

2. none of my business.
+1
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Frankly, I pay much more attention to body language, eye contact, possible intrusions into my personal space, vocalization, and peoples' hands.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I would imagine that the gentleman is new to carrying a firearm. I would think that he'll get in to a groove eventually.

I am curious of your description of a "Walther-style" pistol. Do you mean like classic, iconic Walther, either a P38/P1 or a PPK or variant? Or one of the newer tupperware versions that is a visual train wreck? (IMO of course...)

My question gives insight in to what I'm often thinking in a similar situation. I'm not usually thinking "this guy might start blasting people!" and I'm not usually thinking "this guy will help me if a bad guy comes in and we need to blast that guy!" and I'm usually not thinking "this guy needs to quit fidgeting with his pistol!" (okay, that 3rd one is a blatant lie... :P )

...but what I'm often thinking is... "I'm a gun guy and I like handguns and I'm interested in specifically what that is and what it might be like to shoot it."

But that's just me.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
jmwildenthal

Post by jmwildenthal »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:If I saw someone playing with a partially exposed gun in their back pocket, depending on the venue and other circumstances, I might strike up a conversation with the guy.

The fact that he wasn't alone would be one of the things that would keep me from doing so.
When I started open carrying I preferred to have my kids with me because I felt others would not be as freaked out if they saw me as a parent in addition to being a MWAG.
I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. If you want legal advice, pay an attorney for it.
NRA Certified Instructor
dangerranger6100

Post by dangerranger6100 »

I don't open carry, but my t shirt often comes up and exposes my gun when I bend over. I don't always notice/bother to fix it. I've only had one person seem to notice.

I was loading stuff from the store into my car and my shirt rode up. A gentleman said something to me about my gun from about 50 feet away. I assumed he was letting me know it was showing, but getting half the parking lots attention in the process. Didn't really bother me, I was leaving the area anyways.
BuckJM53

Post by BuckJM53 »

2. none of my business.
+1
"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15" - Ronald Reagan
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

I generally dress in slacks and button up shirts. As such, two people have asked if I was a cop. One of those individuals went on to ask me what was legal with OC. I should note that I did not answer that cop question affirmatively.

Outside of those encounters, I have had a few ask me what I was carrying and if anyone has ever given me a hard time about it. Overall I would say very few notice.
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

The more people get wrapped up in looking at their electronic gadgets, the less they notice much of what's going on in the real world around them.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.