Do people really notice?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

huskybiker

Re: Do people really notice?

Post by huskybiker »

No one has ever said a word to me about it.
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

I doubt many would notice it, other than MDA whackos.

I would not say anything, as I am sure the MDA whackos would be in the way.
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
Metal1

Post by Metal1 »

No. Don't care.
NERES

Post by NERES »

I have only open carried using an IWB holster two times that I recall and both times someone noticed and questioned me about it.

One encounter happened when I entered an auto parts store and the clerk said "Whoa! You're not going to use that are you?" I answered that I wasn't and he asked if it was legal. I told him about open carry and concealed carry and he was interested in getting a license. I happened to have my instructor's business card with me and gave it to him. Positive outcome I thought.

The other encounter was on a road trip with the family. They needed to refresh at a gas station and I was loitering outside waiting for them. A fellow yelled from inside a car "Is that a real gun?"..."Yes"..."Are you a cop?"..."No"..."Is that legal?"..."Yes, in Ohio"..."Why do you carry a gun?"..."Self defense" .

This illustrated to me that folks do notice and some do not know if it is legal which may explain some MWAG calls. I don't OC anymore because I want a tactical advantage if need be.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

I don't think there's a "tactical" advantage one way or another really, just pro's and con's for carrying either way.I OC a lot more than CC......to each his own, I say. As for looks or do others notice?.....yes, now and then, (in my experience).
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:... just pro's and con's for carrying either way...
This.
MyWifeSaidYes
LSglock89

Post by LSglock89 »

I've had some people notice, but most do not.

One instance was while I was at Lowes selecting lumber, a mother was having a hissy over the fact that I was OCing. There were 3 employees with her. Once I was done one came and asked me if I needed help, I did have a location question. Once that was answered he told me that they didn't care about my weapon...they were just trying to calm her down.
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

One instance was while I was at Lowes selecting lumber, a mother was having a hissy over the fact that I was OCing.
I suppose my mother would notice too.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

LSglock89 wrote: a mother was having a hissy over the fact that I was OCing.
She was having a hissy fit over the fact that you can legally open carry. It's a political thing. If she had been the least bit frightened, I suspect she'd have run for the doors.
HancockCountyHaL
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

HancockCountyHAl wrote:
LSglock89 wrote: a mother was having a hissy over the fact that I was OCing.
She was having a hissy fit over the fact that you can legally open carry. It's a political thing. If she had been the least bit frightened, I suspect she'd have run for the doors.
Bingo!!
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.