Voice Recorder

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

fyrfytr310

Voice Recorder

Post by fyrfytr310 »

If you don't use your phone, what voice recorders do you use?
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Voice Recorder

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Sony ICD-PX312

That model is out of production, but its replacement model is the ICD-PX333 (not the PX333D)and is available at Walmart for $60 $50.

This model has a USB port for easy downloading of recordings.

Link for Walmart:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-Digital- ... y/24458354" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Link to Sony:
http://store.sony.com/digital-voice-rec ... m%3Dsearch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

Thank you MWSY, that is exactly what I was looking at.
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
Ray

Post by Ray »

I use a Phillips recorder, it came with my Dragon program I purchased. It has more space than I will ever need, as I can have Dragon type it all out for a paper record. It's a must if you carry..

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

I'm still looking at voice recorders too......and I'll check the sony and phillips out as my old recorder took a dump......thanks guys.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
rouger10

Post by rouger10 »

I use a Philips MP3 player. It can also record. I think it is 4gb, but the newer ones are 8 or even 16. I figure that I'll use it far more often listening to podcasts or music then recording, but it is there if I need it.
Seems to work pretty well too.

Hope that helped. I don't have a model number because I've had it so long that it wore off. :oops:

Roger
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

Any of these mentioned are great to use. Small with plenty of memory. Walmart (gun friendly) has several at $25.00 price points that are good.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

:!:

Here's the thing...

The reason to use a dedicated voice recorder instead of or in addition to, a phone, MP3 player/recorder, video camera, etc. is that you can start recording when you leave your house and not shut it off until you return home.

Most other devices either do not have the memory space or battery life to do this OR they require you to start recording when an incident starts.

Since there is no guaranteed way to know when an incident will start, it is best to already be recording.

You will also avoid any unpleasantness from a LEO who sees you fiddling around in your car or in your pockets trying to get your recording started. Wouldn't want him to think you were going for a weapon, now, would we?

---

The models under $50 at Walmart don't usually have an easy way to transfer recordings to your computer. Without a USB port or a removable memory card, you will have to push "Play" on your recorder and then use a microphone on your computer or phone to re-record your recording. That often results in a crappy quality final recording.

I recommend spending enough to get a USB port on your voice recorder.
MyWifeSaidYes
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

you can start recording when you leave your house and not shut it off until you return home.
Had never thought of that. Great advice!
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

gfrlaser wrote:
you can start recording when you leave your house and not shut it off until you return home.
There are many models that will be not record until it hears a sound (such as your voice or someone elses voice) - so you save your battery and space when you are recording all day long.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ray

Post by Ray »

Stryker74 wrote:
gfrlaser wrote:
There are many models that will be not record until it hears a sound (such as your voice or someone elses voice) - so you save your battery and space when you are recording all day long.
Where would I find one of these?? I like the idea of a voice auto recorder.

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The Sony model I mentioned earlier has such a setting.

It's called the VOR setting (Voice Operated Recording).
MyWifeSaidYes
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:The Sony model I mentioned earlier has such a setting.

It's called the VOR setting (Voice Operated Recording).
Do you use VOR and if so, how well does it work on the Sony?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I don't use VOR because I never record longer than a day at a time.

I either delete the day's recording or download it to my computer for storage or editing.

On SHQ mode (Super High Quality), I have about 23 hours of recording available on the internal storage.

On low quality, there is about 550 hours of recording.
MyWifeSaidYes
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Picked up one of those ICD-PX333.....not a px333d either for 59.99. Is there a rebate deal or something that brings the price down to 50 bucks?

Any way, I've got one for the next meeting w/ the school board next tues. about arming facualty......it's going to be a heated one.......like ya say MWSY.....ain't activism FUN!!!.....or is that Chucks signature, can't remember at the moment. :oops:
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".