Open Carry: It's time to stop the friendly fire.

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Open Carry: It's time to stop the friendly fire.

Post by JustJack »

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/open-c ... ndly-fire/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We gun owners have a problem. Michael Bloomberg has split our ranks with the topic of open carry. He and the mainstream media are fully in control of the issue and they are using it to pit gun owners against each other.
Very nice editorial, worth the read.
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
BobK

Re: Open Carry: It's time to stop the friendly fire.

Post by BobK »

Well, he may have nice opinions about Wisconsin, but I'll tell you he doesn't know jack about Texas. Bloomberg isn't the problem in Texas. It is those jackwagons at OCT who have an absolute tin ear for how to get things done.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

BobK wrote:Well, he may have nice opinions about Wisconsin, but I'll tell you he doesn't know jack about Texas. Bloomberg isn't the problem in Texas. It is those jackwagons at OCT who have an absolute tin ear for how to get things done.
I agree. Acts of political protest which are done carefully and deliberately by some folks are too often copycatted by attention-seeking knuckleheads with non-functional social barometers, and everyone suffers as a result.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Glock513

Post by Glock513 »

BobK wrote:Well, he may have nice opinions about Wisconsin, but I'll tell he doesn't know jack about Texas. Bloomberg isn't the problem in Texas. It is those jackwagons at OCT who have an absolute tin ear for how to get things done.
I agree with you 100%. Carrying a semi auto rifle into a grocery store hurts our right to bear arms.
Joe, an American
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & CCW Instructor

"In times of peace I pray to God for peace. In times of war I pray to God for victory."
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

The Lewinsky media is always on alert to make all sides of the pro-gun community look bad. Why feed the beast?
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

BobK wrote:Well, he may have nice opinions about Wisconsin, but I'll tell you he doesn't know jack about Texas. Bloomberg isn't the problem in Texas. It is those jackwagons at OCT who have an absolute tin ear for how to get things done.
Who will stand up when they come for you?
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

Good article. I agree, the mainstream media has much, too much to do with our perceptions. News used to be news, not anymore.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

charliej47 wrote:
Who will stand up when they come for you?
I believe Bob K will stand up for himself. If the Lewinsky media were fair, we wouldn’t be so concerned with the political optics created by the jackwagons. But, since the media are not fair to us, we are so concerned about said optics.
BobK

Post by BobK »

charliej47 wrote:Who will stand up when they come for you?
"Stand Up" is a complete and total misrepresentation of their actions.

Remember the old saying, "Lead, follow, or get out of the way"?

I'd vastly prefer the knuckleheads get out of the way.

As for me, there are leaders with a long-term (20+ years) track record of actually passing firearms rights legislation in Texas. They had an open carry bill poised for the next session and had publicly committed to supporting and passing the bill. In the "Lead, follow, ...." vein, I was quite content to follow their lead with lobbying and financial support.

However, the OCT knuckleheads have totally poisoned the air, while writing a ridiculously amateurish and unpassable bill, and totally alienating long-time pro gunrights politicians.

So don't give me that "who will stand up for me" stuff, as it simply demonstrates you have no idea of what is actually happening down here.

As Chuck will attest, I am no stranger to either open carry or to lobbying the legislature. I simply have little time or patience for idjits harming our cause. They are worse for us than the Bloomies.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

BobK wrote:So don't give me that "who will stand up for me" stuff, as it simply demonstrates you have no idea of what is actually happening down here.

As Chuck will attest, I am no stranger to either open carry or to lobbying the legislature. I simply have little time or patience for idjits harming our cause. They are worse for us than the Bloomies.
Just to add a bit to the fire ...

Texas law does not allow open carry of handguns. However, there is one little glitch in Texas law which allows for reasonable open carry protest. Unlike Ohio, Texas uses the federal definition of "firearm," which exempts black powder muzzleloaders. Therefore, it was already an established practice for open carry protesters to carry black powder revolvers: Colt Navy 1851, Colt Army 1860, Remington New Army 1858, etc. It would seems that was getting enough attention, particularly in light of some bad arrests by Texas police officers who were unaware of that exemption.

But noooooo ... Some had to go farther. Since there is no ban on the open carry of long guns, some folks decided that they needed to "up the ante" and start carrying ARs, AKs and modified SKSs. And not only did they carry them on public property, but they also carried them into private business establishments, scaring the crap out of the sheep. It doesn't matter that some of the store managers said it was OK. That may be OK with a mom-and-pop shop, but when you do it inside the store of a national or international chain, it gives the Bloomberg lackeys the opportunity to petition the corporate offices, resulting in negative statements which affect all the stores in those chains. And the Bloomberg lackeys have been very successful in doing that. When that happens, our friends in the legislature quickly evaporate, not wanting to be involved in an issue which is getting a lot of negative attention ... and which could affect their bids for re-election.

That is why such actions are stupid and counterproductive.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
soberbiker

Post by soberbiker »

Werz wrote:
That is why such actions are stupid and counterproductive.
I kinda disagree a bit. Stupid maybe, but it could actually be productive if done right in the end. Colorado has proven gun control can be political suicide. In Texas I would be willing to bet on it so I don't see anyone introducing a bill to outlaw open carry in any form. Now if the group down there got together and publicly said we would leave our evil black rifles at home if open carry of a pistol was legal then it could actually be doing some good.
BobK

Post by BobK »

soberbiker wrote: In Texas I would be willing to bet on it so I don't see anyone introducing a bill to outlaw open carry in any form.
Actually, it is very likely that there will be a bill introduced to outlaw open carry in any form. It would have been inconceivable prior to these antics.
soberbiker wrote: Now if the group down there got together and publicly said we would leave our evil black rifles at home if open carry of a pistol was legal then it could actually be doing some good.
Sigh. I said in previous posts in this thread that people have no idea what is actually going on in Texas, or the politics here.

People do not appreciate how property rights and trespassing are viewed in Texas. It is totally different from Ohio. For example, if I know my neighbor would like me to keep an eye on his place, I can legally shoot an intruder sneaking into his garage at night to steal beer. Showing up carrying long guns at private businesses has deeply offended many people, and the phone lines to Austin have been melting down. These fools have succeeded in taking a concept that was ready pass -- open carry of handguns -- and single-handedly turn the topic radioactive.

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

BobK wrote:
charliej47 wrote:Who will stand up when they come for you?
"Stand Up" is a complete and total misrepresentation of their actions.

Remember the old saying, "Lead, follow, or get out of the way"?

I'd vastly prefer the knuckleheads get out of the way.

As for me, there are leaders with a long-term (20+ years) track record of actually passing firearms rights legislation in Texas. They had an open carry bill poised for the next session and had publicly committed to supporting and passing the bill. In the "Lead, follow, ...." vein, I was quite content to follow their lead with lobbying and financial support.

However, the OCT knuckleheads have totally poisoned the air, while writing a ridiculously amateurish and unpassable bill, and totally alienating long-time pro gunrights politicians.

So don't give me that "who will stand up for me" stuff, as it simply demonstrates you have no idea of what is actually happening down here.

I do attest that fact.
The very first time I met Bob, he had just finished testifying to a committee in favor of Restaurant Carry, and was passing out leaflets in front of the Columbus Dispatch in opposition to an ignorant editorial they had just published. Open Carrying, of course.
Every time he comes back to Columbus we get together to eat, simply because Bob likes to enjoy a right that he isn't able to enjoy in Texas.
IF and when he ever moves back, you can bet your bottom dollar he'll be a leader in lobbying to expand our rights even more

But face the facts, OTC has LOST GROUND and cost the good people in Texas in their fight for gun rights, and gained nothing,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

"Sigh. I said in previous posts in this thread that people have no idea what is actually going on in Texas, or the politics here." -BK-

Well, the very same thing can be said about some people in Ohio. The political nuances seem to escape some of our voters.
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

I'm coming to see that it's a game of inches and some still seem to think they are entitled to their rights, right now, everywhere, on anyone's dime in 30 minutes or it's free.

1 hardcore liberal OGA session and the game is over. Poking your political opponents in the eye may be great fun for provocateurs, but the rest of us are left holding the bag and losing battles that were guaranteed easy wins in the past.

Like it or not, it's a media game. All need to learn the nuances, rules and get to work together.