Open Carry: It's time to stop the friendly fire.

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

soberbiker

Re: Open Carry: It's time to stop the friendly fire.

Post by soberbiker »

Does the group in Texas have an agenda here or is it just a few random people causing problems and claiming to be part of some sort of activist group???
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

rDigital wrote:I'm coming to see that it's a game of inches and some still seem to think they are entitled to their rights, right now, everywhere, on anyone's dime in 30 minutes or it's free.

1 hardcore liberal OGA session and the game is over. Poking your

political opponents in the eye may be great fun for provocateurs, but the rest of us are left holding the bag and losing battles that were guaranteed easy wins in the past.

Like it or not, it's a media game. All need to learn the nuances, rules and get to work together.
Thank you.

When Vern Riffe (D) ran the OGA, he allowed his people to vote freely on but two issues. All other issues fell under party discipline. One of those issues was gun ownership. Speaker Riffe leaned pro-gun, to a degree.

In today’s atmosphere, one liberal controlled session of the OGA, supported by the Lewinsky media, and the Ohio open carry movement is over. A liberal controlled session of the OGA could also eat away at Ohio concealed carry rights. Perfect political storm and it can happen.
BobK

Post by BobK »

soberbiker wrote:Does the group in Texas have an agenda here or is it just a few random people causing problems and claiming to be part of some sort of activist group???
They have some sort of agenda, I think. It may be simply personal fame and notoriety, but I don't really know their motivations.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

I will freely admit that until this past week i was at best ambivalent about OC in general, and long gun OC in particular. I have had a bit of an epiphany though. Part of it was the column linked at the beginning of this thread. The other part was one of MDA's most recent fb memes. As many know they are ratcheting up their assault on Kroger, since Kroger didn't immediately issue some sort of mealy-mouthed capitulation like other companies they've targeted. Of course, what they normally do (and are doing in their six figure plus ad campaign) is highlight long guns. But they ran one a few days ago that showed a fellow carrying what looked like maybe a PF-11 (?) carried in an IWB sans cover garment The horror! It was at that point I decided my new mantra is "Keep calm & carry - period." I doubt I will ever long gun OC even as part of an organized event - just not my style. But those that do - fine. I will no longer do Bloomberg's work.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

NavyChief wrote:It was at that point I decided my new mantra is "Keep calm & carry - period." I doubt I will ever long gun OC even as part of an organized event - just not my style. But those that do - fine. I will no longer do Bloomberg's work.
Everything is context-sensitive. My willingness to support open carry activism is well established by video evidence. There is a time and place for everything. There are also acts which are perfectly legal but seriously counterproductive.

The concept is simple: If you don't know how to play the game, get the hell off the field.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

I don't necessarily completely disagree. And yes, I have the utmost respect for your efforts - you have done some true yeoman's work. I'm just no longer going to bust anybody's chops for doing what they want. The closest you're likely to hear from me as a disparaging remark is, "Not my style."
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I tend to view such matters through a political prism, i.e. skirmishes won and lost, battles won and lost as well. The thumb-in-their-eye people can cause us to lose ground. I appreciate their passion; I do not appreciate any bad optics they may generate. This is a war which we will win or lose in the state legislatures; we are at present losing in the Lewinsky media…
soberbiker

Post by soberbiker »

I don't think we will ever be winning in the medias eyes.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

No, of course not. But, many likely voters, including many non-aligned people, obtain the information they use to decide about candidates/issues from the Lewinsky media.