Open carry, beer in hand, no shooting?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

phillip

Open carry, beer in hand, no shooting?

Post by phillip »

I could research this question but I am sure it would take ME hours to get to ORC relevant code, while I might ask here and get learned replies probably before I finish typing the question! Also, it may be of interest to some others?

I will begin with the obvious: alcohol and firearms do not mix. I am not suggesting to do so. Corollary is it is a given there is zero tolerance for alcohol and CHL. OK, that is a given. I suggest there may be a gray area between like this....

Say you are at home on a Saturday afternoon, working around the yard, so have your OWB holstered EDC OPEN CARRY - not covered. No CHL involved. Three scenarios please:

1) You have a beer in one hand, grass whip in other, doing your thing. BEER NOT OPEN. Is there any ORC law broken if you do not touch your firearm?

2) You have a beer in one hand, grass whip in other, doing your thing. BEER IS OPEN. Is there any ORC law broken if you do not touch your firearm?

3) 1) You have a beer in one hand, grass whip in other, doing your thing. BEER NOT OPEN, but you have had one already and it easily recognizable on your breath, Is there any ORC law broken if you do not touch your firearm?

I THINK the letter of the law in Ohio is ALL three scenarios are illegal if firearm is CONCEALED - but NOT if open carry and you do not TOUCH it.
pirateguy191

Re: Open carry, beer in hand, no shooting?

Post by pirateguy191 »

Situation #1 - I have carried plenty of beer from the store to my car while open and concealed carrying. Nothing illegal about it. Nothing illegal about an open can or bottle in your hand while carrying.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

ORC 2923.121 wouldn't apply since you aren't in a bar, but 2923.15 would apply, CHL or not, when not in a bar:

From http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2923.15 Using weapons while intoxicated.

(A) No person, while under the influence of alcohol or any drug of abuse, shall carry or use any firearm or dangerous ordnance.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of using weapons while intoxicated, a misdemeanor of the first degree.
So no problem unless and until you are "under the influence".
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
phillip

Post by phillip »

JustaShooter wrote:ORC 2923.121 wouldn't apply since you aren't in a bar, but 2923.15 would apply, CHL or not, when not in a bar:

From http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(A) No person, while under the influence of alcohol or any drug of abuse, shall carry or use any firearm or dangerous ordnance.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of using weapons while intoxicated, a misdemeanor of the first degree.
Sticky point but is it:

unless and until you are "under the influence".

or

unless and until you are "intoxicated".

Sounds like A) is something 'not to do' but does not list anything one is guilty of, while B) does. And the initial description is 'intoxicated' not 'under the influence' also?

I believe 'intoxicated' means above the state limit of 0.08 level, where 'under the influence' has no minimum limit? Hence why CHL can be interpreted as having 1 beer is too many. So it seems the distinction is pretty important and would make sense for us to know for sure in open carry?
docachna

Post by docachna »

phillip wrote:
I believe 'intoxicated' means above the state limit of 0.08 level, where 'under the influence' has no minimum limit? Hence why CHL can be interpreted as having 1 beer is too many. So it seems the distinction is pretty important and would make sense for us to know for sure in open carry?
The 0.08 BAC limit applies only while you are operating a motor vehicle. "Intoxicated" in other situations, either not involving a motor vehicle, or as a passenger in a motor vehicle, rests solely in the eye of the beholder - i.e., if the LEO thinks you're intoxicated, you're probably taking the ride.

:?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I think that the two terms are interchangeable, at least legally

The law says that if you are "under the influence" while carrying, you are guilty of using weapons while intoxicated
Same with driving, I think

I am not a lawyer, however,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I think #2 might be a hassle for you if you are stopped by LE..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I think #2 might be a hassle for you if you are stopped by LE..
Hassle maybe, illegal no.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

phillip wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:ORC 2923.121 wouldn't apply since you aren't in a bar, but 2923.15 would apply, CHL or not, when not in a bar:

Sticky point but is it:

unless and until you are "under the influence".

or

unless and until you are "intoxicated".

Sounds like A) is something 'not to do' but does not list anything one is guilty of, while B) does. And the initial description is 'intoxicated' not 'under the influence' also?

A is the violation, B is the charge for the violation. So, don't carry or use a firearm while under the influence, or you'll be guilty of using weapons while intoxicated.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
BobK

Post by BobK »

phillip wrote:1) You have a beer in one hand, grass whip in other, doing your thing. BEER NOT OPEN. Is there any ORC law broken if you do not touch your firearm?
Not illegal as described.
phillip wrote:2) You have a beer in one hand, grass whip in other, doing your thing. BEER IS OPEN. Is there any ORC law broken if you do not touch your firearm?
phillip wrote:3) 1) You have a beer in one hand, grass whip in other, doing your thing. BEER NOT OPEN, but you have had one already and it easily recognizable on your breath, Is there any ORC law broken if you do not touch your firearm?

Note for all three, none of the actions as decribed are illegal. Touching your firearm has nothing to do with it.
phillip wrote:I THINK the letter of the law in Ohio is ALL three scenarios are illegal if firearm is CONCEALED - but NOT if open carry and you do not TOUCH it.
Also incorrect. Has nothing to do with open carry or concealed carry.

As noted above, you are either under the influence or you are not. The illegality stems from being under the influence, not from whether or not the beer is open or not, you are touching the firearm or not, or if you are open carrying or not.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Chuck wrote:I think that the two terms are interchangeable, at least legally

The law says that if you are "under the influence" while carrying, you are guilty of using weapons while intoxicated
Same with driving, I think

I am not a lawyer, however,,,,
<sigh> You are 100% right, Chuck. When will people stop reading the convenient name of the statute and start reading the actual elements of the offense?
R.C. 2923.15. Using weapons while intoxicated
So what does "under the influence" mean? Here is how a jury will be instructed:
"UNDER THE INFLUENCE. 'Under the influence' means that the defendant (consumed) (used) some (alcohol) (drug of abuse) in such quantity that it adversely affected his/her actions or mental processes to deprive him/her of that (clearness of intellect) (control of himself/herself) which he/she would otherwise have possessed." OJI CR 523.15(2).
Now, some folks may whine and moan that the definition above is not very specific. Too bad. It's called assumption of risk. When you voluntarily consume alcohol, you assume the risk of becoming "intoxicated" or "under the the influence." This concept should not be foreign to gun folks. If you carry or use a firearm, you assume certain risks related to your control of that firearm, the primary of which is the responsibility to comply with Jeff Cooper's Four Rules. When you engage in certain acts, you assume certain responsibilities. When you make a voluntary choice to consume alcohol and carry or use a firearm, you assume the risks inherent with both actions. No whining, no excuses.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
phillip

Post by phillip »

Thank you all for the replies. It made this concept crystal clear.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

OP...can you tell me why you would have a beer in you're hand in that situation in the first place ?
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

carmen fovozzo wrote:OP...can you tell me why you would have a beer in you're hand in that situation in the first place ?
Helping the Missus carry in groceries for one thing, enjoying a cold one while flipping burgers on the grill for another.
Just finished mowing the lawn and sitting on the front porch drinking a beer, playing cards with our friends on a Friday night,
Nothing in the law requires disarming before having a beer, and certainly nothing about carrying one that isn't opened at all

Only carrying under the influence is prohibited
Know your limitations and carry on,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Chucky baby...It's not normal to carry a beer while whacking your weeds....that is what I want to know... :)