Open carry, beer in hand, no shooting?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BobK

Re: Open carry, beer in hand, no shooting?

Post by BobK »

Werz, I agree with both your points. In fact, I started out thinking I was also going to add the biggest risk is a judgement error, where a person thinks they are reasonable but are too impaired to realize they just made a really bad choice. The nightmare scenario is shooting someone while drunk who should never have been shot. Like the 14 year old kid who innocently rang the doorbell. (However, I got interrupted writing the previous post and forgot to complete that thought.)

An analogous example of carrying impaired in case there is a risk versus taking immediate action in response to an imminent risk would extend to a felon using a firearm in self defense. Felons cannot possess guns.

So a felon carrying a gun who responds to someone trying to kill him by shooting in self defense can be innocent for charges resulting from shooting the person. However, the felon is still guilty of illegal possession of a firearm. In contrast, a felon getting robbed by two armed attackers who takes the gun away from one attacker and shoots the other should have "necessity" also apply to "possessing" (momentarily) a firearm.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

How about I use a knife on the guy when he brakes the door down ? Is there a law in Ohio on the books that says I can't be drunk in my own home ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Lets not forget that any prosecutor will be pounding on the fact that you were drunk and that your judgement was impaired. Drinking while being armed is a legal risk on top of everything else.

Why is it many people who are arrested for DUI claim they can handle their liquor and that their judgement wasn't impaired regardless of what the LEO claims they witnessed? Same thing can easily happen with firearms too.
BobK

Post by BobK »

carmen fovozzo wrote:How about I use a knife on the guy when he brakes the door down ? Is there a law in Ohio on the books that says I can't be drunk in my own home ?
Knifing the guy breaking your door down isn't against the law even if you are drunk.

However, if you are trying to knife the guy but you stumble because you are drunk and stab your wife instead, then being drunk with a knife is creating problems. :P
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Thanks for clearing that up Bob....... :) I think...
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

BobK wrote:However, if you are trying to knife the guy but you stumble because you are drunk and stab your wife instead, then being drunk with a knife is creating problems. :P
They may even suspect it was not accidental. :twisted:
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

So under ohio law if you are drunk IN YOUR OWN HOME and someone kicks in your door to rob the place .The robber come's at you say with a crow bar or knife you better not shoot them.
Black Rifles Matter
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

steves 50de wrote:So under ohio law if you are drunk IN YOUR OWN HOME and someone kicks in your door to rob the place .The robber come's at you say with a crow bar or knife you better not shoot them.
Who said that, I mean, besides you?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

steves 50de wrote:So under ohio law if you are drunk IN YOUR OWN HOME and someone kicks in your door to rob the place .The robber come's at you say with a crow bar or knife you better not shoot them.
You can shoot them. You will just have a MUCH more interesting trial.

:P
MyWifeSaidYes
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:

Yup, and this is how we attorneys make our living... 8)
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Well, I certainly hope nobody breaks in my home at the moment. Summer Weizen Ale was on sale at Drug Mart.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

TR.....didn't know you were a attorney... 8)
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

carmen fovozzo wrote:TR.....didn't know you were a attorney... 8)
He might have more money than you carmen, :P :lol: he buy's up all the cool expensive gun's in the for sale forum. 8)
Black Rifles Matter
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:

I'd have to say I would have to follow that trial lol.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

steves 50de wrote: ... he buy's up all the cool expensive gun's in the for sale forum.
Nope, he tries to sell all his cool expensive guns in the for sale forum (without a whole lot of luck :( ).
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.