Answer the Question "Why do you have a gun?"

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

fyrfytr310

Answer the Question "Why do you have a gun?"

Post by fyrfytr310 »

I have only ever been accosted by other gun owners/2A supporters when OCing in my neck of the woods. If one were to casually question your reasons for carrying a firearm, how do you respond? Say for example, your neighbors 4-year old just flatly asks you, "OFCC'er, why do you have a gun?" I assume you are not going to immediately jump in to the whole 2nd Amendment/constitutionality debate but would instead use that particular scenario as a means of education. Suppose it is someone, or someone's kid, you do not know. What responses have you all come up with?

Again, this is not the contentious sidewalk debate I am referring to. I am assuming many of us have been asked out of legitimate curiosity but maybe not.
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
JonasM

Re: Answer the Question "Why do you have a gun?"

Post by JonasM »

Most likely, I would answer some variation of: "I want the best possible chance of being home with my family each night".
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I'd answer by saying that is a stupid question.....if an adult asked...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

My answer to children, "It scares the bad guys away".
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I'd answer by saying that is a stupid question.....if an adult asked...
This made me smile. :lol:
If an actual answer was due, I'd answer something to the effect of 'It's the most effective tool to keep me and my loved one's safe.'
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

"Insurance, protection, peace of mind, persuasion, in case"... depending on who asks.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

My answer: Why are you unarmed?
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

"Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have..."
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

To a child, my answer is typically along the lines of "so I can keep the bad guys from hurting my sons, their mom, or me". To others it varies considerably and much depends on the person and manner the question was asked.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

"In case I need it."
MyWifeSaidYes
CDMAGS

Post by CDMAGS »

Because it's my right, is my usual answer.
NRA Benefactor Member
OFCC Patron Member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Like others here my answer can vary from patient and serious to downright denigrating, depending on who asks and HOW they ask. (I can suffer fools, but not always gladly.)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Brian.....I feel by now if someone has to ask that question they just don't get it and never will...but of course if they or a family member were to be mugged or worse, then and only then will they get it.....I'm about run out of patience.Sorta.
...Here is my dumb question to them, care I take the time to answer. Why do you eat ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Brian.....I feel by now if someone has to ask that question they just don't get it and never will...but of course if they or a family member were to be mugged or worse, then and only then will they get it.....I'm about run out of patience.Sorta.
...Here is my dumb question to them, care I take the time to answer. Why do you eat ?
If the person is under gun buying age, I'll have much more patience than with an adult resident of, let's say, Oberlin.

:twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I have answered that question, when asked without hostility, I try and give them my very best & most accurate, genuine answer.

"I just really like handguns, I always have and I am legally able to do so, and I enjoy it."
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!