Laws regarding gun rack and rifle or rifles in vehicle?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

nicpaige

Laws regarding gun rack and rifle or rifles in vehicle?

Post by nicpaige »

Can anyone give me a quick tutorial on what laws pertaining to rifle or rifles in a vehicle fixed to a gun rack in Ohio? I used to see trucks with gun racks and rifles in them all the time, but none recently. Thank you
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Laws regarding gun rack and rifle or rifles in vehicle?

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Unloaded and with the action open.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.
Last edited by MyWifeSaidYes on Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MyWifeSaidYes
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

nicpaige wrote:Can anyone give me a quick tutorial on what laws pertaining to rifle or rifles in a vehicle fixed to a gun rack in Ohio? I used to see trucks with gun racks and rifles in them all the time, but none recently. Thank you
Alot has changed from the 60s to today. :lol:

I think the laws affected that quite a bit as I use to hear stories of kids having their shotguns in their trucks at schools. I can only imagine the response that would generate today. Also, I wouldn't do it today anyways as that just makes your truck a victim of being broken into. It's irrelevant if they can get it out, but you'll most likely end up with a broken window and anything else that isn't locked down removed.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Unloaded and with the action open.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.
Interesting. Folks with 16" barrel carbines should take care..
BobK

Post by BobK »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Unloaded and with the action open.

No requirement to have the action open for (C)(1-3). Cased, gun rack, or compartment does not require the action to be open.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Thanks, BobK.

Something interesting about option #3 is the term "secured".

Does "secured" mean that the firearm won't move around or does it mean locked?

If it means locked, why didn't the GA (General Assembly) use the term "locked" like they have in so many other sections of the Revised Code?

Regarding Safety provisions for mining equipment in the Revised Code, the term "secured" appears to mean "to keep something from moving".

IANAL, but I would argue that a firearm is "secured" in a rack if the firearm won't move during transport. No "lock" required.

But, I agree with Jedi that one should be careful about leaving a rifle in a vehicle, especially where it is visible, due to the risk of theft.
MyWifeSaidYes
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Some farmers around here still have racks in the trucks with a rifle in it. Never know when a pest needs dispatched! :)
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Also, I wouldn't do it today anyways as that just makes your truck a victim of being broken into. It's irrelevant if they can get it out, but you'll most likely end up with a broken window and anything else that isn't locked down removed.
I'm fairly sure that is the reason that few people still have rifle racks. Anymore, a rifle in a visible rack says, "Steal me."
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

Werz wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:Also, I wouldn't do it today anyways as that just makes your truck a victim of being broken into. It's irrelevant if they can get it out, but you'll most likely end up with a broken window and anything else that isn't locked down removed.
I'm fairly sure that is the reason that few people still have rifle racks. Anymore, a rifle in a visible rack says, "Steal me."
Hmm, maybe we should use bait trucks with look-alike air rifles and bust some gun thieves.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Curzyk wrote:
Werz wrote:
Hmm, maybe we should use bait trucks with look-alike air rifles and bust some gun thieves.
The devil is in the details. In order to convict for F3 Theft of a Firearm, it must be an operable firearm.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

Werz wrote:The devil is in the details. In order to convict for F3 Theft of a Firearm, it must be an operable firearm.
Well, in bait car situations, they give them a real car.. So what about a GPS equipped firearm with a filed down firing pin?
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Curzyk wrote:
Werz wrote:The devil is in the details. In order to convict for F3 Theft of a Firearm, it must be an operable firearm.
Well, in bait car situations, they give them a real car.. So what about a GPS equipped firearm with a filed down firing pin?
"Operable" means that it is "capable of expelling or propelling one or more projectiles by the action of an explosive or combustible propellant," and if inoperable it must be "readily ... rendered operable." R.C. 2923.11(B)(1).

I know it sounds like a clever idea, but it doesn't always work out well. Ask Attorney General Holder.
-- BobK
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

How do the courts define "readily"?

"Promptly" means something completely different when comparing "notifying promptly" and "responding to a records request promptly".
MyWifeSaidYes