OC "incident" at Kroger

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

seeley booth

Re: OC "incident" at Kroger

Post by seeley booth »

yes you can carry open... people who says anything are anti-gun a friend said if you're going to have you're gun in your car have the magazine one side
gun on the other you will be fine
Special Agent Seeley Booth: You're dead Corporal. I felt your heart stop.
Teddy Parker: No use crying over spilt milk, Sarge.
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

seeley booth wrote:yes you can carry open... people who says anything are anti-gun a friend said if you're going to have you're gun in your car have the magazine one side
Can you go into a little more detail?
Come and get'em
seeley booth

Post by seeley booth »

if i was carrying open i know it's legal... some places do and others don't allow it
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

seeley booth wrote:a friend said if you're going to have you're gun in your car have the magazine one side
I'm not exactly sure what you are saying - but just to make sure you know, In Ohio unless you have your Concealed Handgun License (CHL) you have to do more than have your gun on one side and loaded magazine on the other. They must be stored completely separately - say in two closable containers - or be inaccessible to the driver or any occupants.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
seeley booth

Post by seeley booth »

that's what i was told
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

seeley booth wrote:that's what i was told
Bad advice runs rampant throughout the gun community.

Heed the advice of JustaShooter regarding a non-licensee carrying a gun in a motor vehicle. It is accurate.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

seeley booth wrote:yes you can carry open... people who says anything are anti-gun a friend said if you're going to have you're gun in your car have the magazine one side
Sorry, that was the law in New Mexico many years ago. It was never the law in Ohio.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

2/327 wrote:My nieghbor, a deputy, and my wife, also a deputy got on me about this. I OCed while taking my kids on walks around our nieghborhood. My nieghbor just causully said one day, "hey you know that can get you in trouble". At first i didnt know what he was talking about but as we talked, he meant my openly carried firearm. I tried the usuall but to no avail. He stated i have been a cop since 1989 and that has NEVER been legal. So he called one of the sgts who told him it was legal. I just looked at him and said "guess you have been wrong since 1989!" given i only spoke to him like that in a joking way.
FYI THEY BOTH WORK IN CLARK COUNTY
Sure I missed something, but what did your wife say about it? She TOO thought OC was illegal? You hadn't had at lease conversed about it prior to your walks?

Both your neighbor and wife were non threatening...? I would hope so...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
seeley booth

Post by seeley booth »

TunnelRat wrote:
Sorry, that was the law in New Mexico many years ago. It was never the law in Ohio.
i hate to say this but it's true... i went to southern ohio pawn there are three steps gun empty.... magazine empty in the glove box ammo in the trunk
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

seeley booth wrote:
TunnelRat wrote:
i hate to say this but it's true... i went to southern ohio pawn there are three steps gun empty.... magazine empty in the glove box ammo in the trunk
Not exactly - Ohio law used to be similar, but no more. you can have a loaded magazine in the car as long as the gun and magazine/speedloader are stored separately (two separate boxes that close, for example) or are inaccessible to the driver or any occupants (in the trunk, for example).

One legal method of transporting in a car without a CHL that I like to use as an example is that you could have your gun in a gun case in the main compartment of your range bag and loaded magazines in separate pouches of the range bag (as long as they can close with a fastener) and put it on the passenger seat beside you and it would be legal.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

seeley booth wrote:
:?:

Did you see this on a sign, or did an employee of the pawn shop tell you this?

Do you still believe the information you got from the pawn shop?

Just curious?
MyWifeSaidYes
seeley booth

Post by seeley booth »

the mgr at the pawn shop told me
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

seeley booth wrote:the mgr at the pawn shop told me
And his law degree is from where?
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Of the responding posters on this thread at least three of them are former or current practicing attorneys. Two or three others man the OFCC tables at gun shows regularly and are quite familiar with our state's firearms laws.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Sorry, but TBH your naivete is puzzling to me. Better take the advice of the others posting above. There's a lot at stake - like getting arrested, JAIL - I don't think an explanation like "the manager at the pawn shop told me so" will suffice in a courtroom.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!