OC "incident" at Kroger

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

fyrfytr310

Re: OC "incident" at Kroger

Post by fyrfytr310 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Like them or not, support your local Kroger store. 8)
With pleasure.
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

I always do.

LW
Sherlock Holmes : "You have arms, I suppose?"
Dr. Watson : "Yes, I thought it well to take them."
Sherlock Holmes : "Most certainly. Keep your revolver near you night and day and never relax your precautions"

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle "The Hound of the Baskervilles"
Ray

Post by Ray »

Yep, we like them & I OC when there on me side. Most people don't even notice it. :D :D

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Oh, by the way...the Fifth District Court of Appeals had this to say about the caretaking exception:
...absent any sign that an occupant needed assistance, <the officer> was not justified in pulling the car over invoking the caretaking exception...
http://www.courtnewsohio.gov/cases/2014 ... H-3467.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
Metal1

Post by Metal1 »

MWSY.... Some here will find any and every excuse to justify the actions of the Police when it is clearly evident in this case that no legal reasoning warranted the stop.
Keep doing what you are doing. Some here appreciate it. Others, who cares.
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

MWSY did you ever get a reply about your second email, I mean after Chief Dwyer was to talk to the prosecutor?
Come and get'em
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

GatorNavy wrote:MWSY did you ever get a reply about your second email, I mean after Chief Dwyer was to talk to the prosecutor?
No, I spoke with Chief Dwyer on the phone and didn't have expectations of hearing back from him. My perception is that we left things on a good note.
MyWifeSaidYes
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
GatorNavy wrote:MWSY did you ever get a reply about your second email, I mean after Chief Dwyer was to talk to the prosecutor?
No, I spoke with Chief Dwyer on the phone and didn't have expectations of hearing back from him. My perception is that we left things on a good note.
Thank you sir
Come and get'em
2/327

Post by 2/327 »

My nieghbor, a deputy, and my wife, also a deputy got on me about this. I OCed while taking my kids on walks around our nieghborhood. My nieghbor just causully said one day, "hey you know that can get you in trouble". At first i didnt know what he was talking about but as we talked, he meant my openly carried firearm. I tried the usuall but to no avail. He stated i have been a cop since 1989 and that has NEVER been legal. So he called one of the sgts who told him it was legal. I just looked at him and said "guess you have been wrong since 1989!" given i only spoke to him like that in a joking way.
FYI THEY BOTH WORK IN CLARK COUNTY
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

2/327 wrote:My nieghbor, a deputy, and my wife, also a deputy got on me about this. I OCed while taking my kids on walks around our nieghborhood. My nieghbor just causully said one day, "hey you know that can get you in trouble". At first i didnt know what he was talking about but as we talked, he meant my openly carried firearm. I tried the usuall but to no avail. He stated i have been a cop since 1989 and that has NEVER been legal. So he called one of the sgts who told him it was legal. I just looked at him and said "guess you have been wrong since 1989!" given i only spoke to him like that in a joking way.
FYI THEY BOTH WORK IN CLARK COUNTY
Not unusual. Old cops, accustomed to the old ways. Even though open carry has always been lawful, very few people ever did it. Only after concealed carry became lawful did a significant number of people start carrying openly. Many older cops subscribe to the Law of That's What I'd Always Heard.

Some here will rant and rave that more training is needed. And they're right. But some of those same people will rant and rave that the cops need a warrant to search their car. People tend to believe in the rule of law that they want to hear.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
2/327

Post by 2/327 »

They were both "off duty" and not threating in any way. Just a polite disscussion among neighbors. Atleast he didnt do it in kroger and hopefully now knows its ok.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

To be fair, if municipalities had laws prohibiting open carry those would have been valid until 9.68 went into effect in early 2007.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:To be fair, if municipalities had laws prohibiting open carry those would have been valid until 9.68 went into effect in early 2007.
True, and there were some of those, most often in the evil northeast part of Ohio.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
2/327

Post by 2/327 »

Well thats good to know as i didnt move here untill 2007. Pretty good little fact, thanks for that
docachna

Post by docachna »

2/327 wrote:......... I just looked at him and said "guess you have been wrong since 1989!" given i only spoke to him like that in a joking way....

I like that !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE