OC "incident" at Kroger

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tbrew85

OC "incident" at Kroger

Post by tbrew85 »

Just got off the phone with my brother. He is OCing a pistol in Kroger in liberty township. A man approached him and said "Hey, you know your gun is showing". My brother told him "Yes, I know" The man told him he needed to cover it. My brother told him no, its legal to open carry. The man said "No its not, Im a cop, its not legal" My brother again told him it was legal. The man walked away and my bother could hear him on his phone calling in a MWAG call and asked if they had someone available. At this point he called me to ask my advice.
My brother proceeded to the check out line and could see the man by the front doors, still on his cell phone. He heard the man say, into the cell phone, "Well I thought you had to have a license, I didnt know you could do that, and then he walked out.

Nothing further happened and no police arrived.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
tbrew85

Re: OC "incident" at Kroger

Post by tbrew85 »

Updated: He just called back. After my brother (and his wife and children) left Kroger's parking lot, they were pulled over by Butler County Sheriff Deputy. The deputy approached the vehicle and my brother, on the passenger side, immediately informed of his CHL and his firearm. The deputy asked, "Was that just you at Kroger" My brother said yes it was. The deputy said "Dont worry, you did nothing wrong. We got a call and I had to respond. We have informed the caller that open carry is legal". My brother said the deputy was very polite and professional. He did however go on to say that "Just so you know, Kroger is posted and you cant carry in there" My brother told him "Actually, that is inaccurate, we shop there specifically because they don't prohibit. You are probably thinking of the liquor control sign". He was free to go and other than the misunderstanding about the signage, it sounds like the deputy was understanding about OC.

My brother is a member of this forum and Im sure will update.

Im going to repost this in its own thread.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

Excellent LEO response! 8)
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

LEO#2 Yes... Cop#1 not so much. Sounds like he might have been set straight though.
Overall good outcome.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

Aesinsp wrote:LEO#2 Yes... Cop#1 not so much. Sounds like he might have been set straight though.
Overall good outcome.
Yeah, number 2 was a winner.

Number one needs some remedial training on open carry at a minimum.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Aesinsp wrote:LEO#2 Yes... Cop#1 not so much. Sounds like he might have been set straight though.
Overall good outcome.

Who's to say cop #1 was really a cop?..I would have asked to see a badge lol
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Bama.45 wrote:
Overall good outcome.

^^^^This
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

I think it's hilarious to have someone break the law to accuse someone of breaking the law -entirely possible. :lol:
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

I think it would be hilarious too if someone was caught doing that..But with the way the anti's are these days, I wouldn't put it past one of them to claim to be a cop..And they might even not know that it is illegal to do that...They have a tendency to go to the extreme to push their agenda and try to bully people into compliance with their ideology.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

I would have been VERY inclined to call in a man impersonating an officer.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Failure to train versus appropriate training.
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

I too question whether the first one was currently an officer.
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

Would have been better outcome if cop #2 would not have pulled you over in the 1st place.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

troy bilt wrote:Would have been better outcome if cop #2 would not have pulled you over in the 1st place.
Why is that?..I have no problems with LEO's checking things out...At least they're working for their pay and not sitting at Dunkin Donuts..I think they should be able to make contact with folks that are open carrying..But after they talk to them(not saying they start asking for ID etc) to get a feel for them then let them go about their business...I don't see why some folks think it is just the worst thing that an officer can do is to stop and talk to someone.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Bama.45 wrote:
Overall good outcome.

I had the same thing happen to me once in a Giant Eagle. I asked the guy what police department he was with. When he told me, I whipped out my cell phone to call them to verify. The dude beat feet so fast, I thought he was going to fall down before he reached the door. :lol:
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life