OC'ing Franklin, Ohio

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

OC'ing Franklin, Ohio

Post by charliej47 »

:shock: I was getting gas at Speedway in Franklin and a guy was getting gas at the same time. He saw my weapon and said "why do you need that, you expecting trouble?" :shock:

I said that if I was expecting trouble, then I would not be at Speedway. I don't go where I expect to find trouble!"

We got into a discussion about carrying and the short of it I told him that he lived in a dream world. I left before anything else was said. :shock:
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
Tweed Ring

Re: OC'ing Franklin, Ohio

Post by Tweed Ring »

This is not a criticism of what you did.

Conversely, I always choose not to engage in conversations with strangers, about guns, politics, religion, root causes for recidivism, the Middle East, etc. I have found, sometimes, these discussions can evolve into heated arguments.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

It's rare to find someone like that around Franklin. Looking back through history Franklin isn't nor has it ever been what one would call a "liberal city".
docachna

Post by docachna »

charliej47 wrote::shock: I was getting gas at Speedway in Franklin and a guy was getting gas at the same time. He saw my weapon and said "why do you need that, you expecting trouble?" :shock:
"Oh, heck, no - I would have brought my AK-47 if I was expecting trouble !!" :P
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

TJW815 wrote:It's rare to find someone like that around Franklin. Looking back through history Franklin isn't nor has it ever been what one would call a "liberal city".
True, and Id say a large percentage of Franklin citizens are armed, whether legally or not. :shock:
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

tbrew85 wrote:
TJW815 wrote:It's rare to find someone like that around Franklin. Looking back through history Franklin isn't nor has it ever been what one would call a "liberal city".
True, and Id say a large percentage of Franklin citizens are armed, whether legally or not. :shock:
Nothing like it was up throughout the '80's though.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

docachna wrote:
charliej47 wrote::shock: I was getting gas at Speedway in Franklin and a guy was getting gas at the same time. He saw my weapon and said "why do you need that, you expecting trouble?" :shock:
"Oh, heck, no - I would have brought my AK-47 if I was expecting trouble !!" :P
And friends !! :twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

TJW815 wrote:
tbrew85 wrote:
Nothing like it was up throughout the '80's though.

Very true. Franklin has changed over the years. For the better IMHO.

I grew up in Middletown. We used to be able to make fun of those from Franklin. :P

My how times have changed. :oops:
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Downtown Franklin used to have one of the best gun shops I'd ever set foot in. In those days I'd see a couple of the town's LEO's stop by the shop in OC mode (with badge on the belt) even when off duty. They also were very aware that us "regular citizens" could open carry as well and even seemed to encourage the practice.

It was kind of unique in my experience for Ohio back then. The next place I was in that seemed as pro-OC was Durango Colorado several years later.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.