National Night Out

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tbrew85

National Night Out

Post by tbrew85 »

Anyone ever open carry at a National Night out event? Just curious if there were any issues. I know very little about neighborhood watch (except that they are generally anti gun, especially since Zimmerman) and thought I would go to the event at Middletowns Sunset Park on Tuesday evening. I usually open carry, but may conceal here just to avoid "trouble" and honestly learn what I can. I know there will be a lot of LEO demostrations and other festivities.

But then again, I may OC anyway. Depends on what I wear I guess.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: National Night Out

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Where is the event?
MyWifeSaidYes
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Where is the event?
tbrew85 wrote:Anyone ever open carry at a National Night out event? Just curious if there were any issues. I know very little about neighborhood watch (except that they are generally anti gun, especially since Zimmerman) and thought I would go to the event at Middletowns Sunset Park on Tuesday evening. I usually open carry, but may conceal here just to avoid "trouble" and honestly learn what I can. I know there will be a lot of LEO demostrations and other festivities.

But then again, I may OC anyway. Depends on what I wear I guess.
:lol:
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Ah, I see it now.

Thank you!

:oops:
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

You'll need to find out if a permit has been issued to a private entity to use the park for their event. If so, the organizers may be able to restrict firearms.

If the city is hosting the event, they cannot restrict firearms.
MyWifeSaidYes
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

Wasn't this a big todo a year or two ago ?? Google Fu engage.
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

I know jedi already helped you with the specific one I am thinking of attending, :mrgreen: , but just so everyone knows, this is a national thing. There are many communities here in Ohio holding similar events.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

tbrew85 wrote:
I know jedi already helped you with the specific one I am thinking of attending, :mrgreen: , but just so everyone knows, this is a national thing. There are many communities here in Ohio holding similar events.
And they hold them all over the place. Many are in school parking lots.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:You'll need to find out if a permit has been issued to a private entity to use the park for their event. If so, the organizers may be able to restrict firearms.

If the city is hosting the event, they cannot restrict firearms.

Based on the list for Columbus I found, it looks like a lot of private organizations and communities are participating. I have not seen any location that is officially hosted by the City of Columbus.

http://abc6onyourside.com/images/2014%2 ... 072814.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

I went tonight. Very nice event. Teaming with LEO from several different departments who were putting on demonstrations, showing off equipment, and talking with community members. I took my Chocolate Lab with me and we had a wonderful time. Lots of families, The Middletown Middies football team mingling with the crowd and manning several of the booths. Lots of kids games. Free food and soft drinks. Live bands. Just a wonderful community event. Several LEO in civilian clothes open carrying. I open carried as well. I spoke with a few LEO, who I knew previous to this event.

Not a single person acknowledge that I even had my SA XDm .45 on my right hip. No words, no glances, nothing. That includes LEO and non LEO. LOTS of people wanted to pet my dog. Every single one asked first.

A truly nice evening.

Tytan being a good boy.
Last edited by tbrew85 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

In my opinion, there are as few things as pretty as a Chocolate Lab.
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

Tweed Ring wrote:In my opinion, there are as few things as pretty as a Chocolate Lab.
We got lucky. He was a stray that found us a year ago. We desperately tried to find his original owners but were unable to. He is a really fine animal.

Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Seems like not everybody got the memo describing the purpose of National Night Out in North Collingwood...
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

Tweed Ring wrote:Seems like not everybody got the memo describing the purpose of National Night Out in North Collingwood...
Something happen?

Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Argument, possibly about the existence and the efficacy of the Higgs boson particle took place right outside the venue for the Collingwood area event and just before it took place.

Two passionate yutes, possibly taking opposite sides of the burning and almost all consuming Higgs boson particle question, defined each side of their respective Higgs boson particle positions with gun play.

But, NNO stalwarts insisted the event go on, bathed in blue and red lights...next year a wider circulation of the memo would seem to be in order.